Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I think no-one was expecting from Apple to keep the prices the same
I wasn't, I made it a point to respond in various threads stating the (then rumored) 16" will be higher than the top tier 15"

It's clear that Apple wanted to regain some trust (and sales)
Normally, I'd probably say regain sales and that's a true part, but this model shows that apple was listening to its customers and did what they could to accommodate them. I'm impressed by what they did. I probably won't be buying one, but this machine shows, apple changing directions after listening to their customers.

Reactions: Never mind

Arthur75

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2015
paris, france
What I find weird about the 16" launch is that the 13" (4 TB3) now seems way overpriced. If you spec it up to 512GB/16GB/i7, it actually costs more than the base 16" despite a worse CPU, much worse GPU, old keyboard, worse speakers, and a smaller screen (not always a downside but Apple historically prices smaller things as cheaper).

Would have thought it would have had a price cut if it wasn't updated yesterday. Would find it hard to recommend when the 2 TB3 model is a fair bit cheaper and the 16" is a fair bit better.

Indeed, and strange to refresh the 15 and not the 13.

When is the 14 in in current 13 size supposed to come ? Spring 2020 ?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I think in real life is from 9 hours to 11 hours...with the 15" never got 10hours unless i place the brightness under 200nits, so i guess with 100W we get 10 hours or maybe even 11 hours at 250 nits
I know what Apple says and I hear you, however, I bet real life is more like 5 or 6. That's how my 15 inch is with brightness at about 85%.
[automerge]1573733542[/automerge]

I've heard it said about products OTHER THAN the iPhone that when the machines are ready, Apple pushes them out. They generally don't wait for feature parity between models.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008

Kuo mentions that *some model of* Macbook is slated for mid 2020 - but my guess it that we'll see an update earlier. All the components including the 28W cpu from Intel and a new keyboard are available today. The problem for Apple now is the 15 inch is sitting next to the 13- mocking it with its better keyboard, slimmer bezels, better base value, etc. There are already lots of sales of 13inch models at rock bottom prices. People might say they would wait till WWDC, but whats the point in that? They just released this one via press release, so a redesigned 14inch would at MOST qualify for a similar treatment.

I think a good guess is that will drop it around or before the iPhone SE2/Ipad pro as a footnote in a press release, or its own mini press release. If you look at the release history, Apple has done a lot of MBP spec bumps around Feb/March which are typically called 'Early 20XX' in their model numbers.

Reactions: Arthur75

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018
Normally, I'd probably say regain sales and that's a true part, but this model shows that apple was listening to its customers and did what they could to accommodate them. I'm impressed by what they did. I probably won't be buying one, but this machine shows, apple changing directions after listening to their customers.
Companies, especially gigantic ones, are always “listening” to the public. It’s all about whether they have data to show that criticism actually affects sales. It’s obvious now that the current MacBook Pro line wasn’t really financially successful.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Companies, especially gigantic ones, are always “listening” to the public.
Apple is known to not listen to the consumers, in fact Steve Jobs went out of his way to state they avoid focus groups and instead prefer telling consumers what they want, not the other way around.

If sales were not dropping, and class action suits being filed for the keyboard, we'd not see these changes. For some time apple was tone-deaf to what consumers wanted. Just look at the trash can macrpo. Look how long it took for them to change directions and actually provide a machine that creative professionals wanted.

I have to disagree, that companies, specifically Apple is always listening to the public because I just don't believe that's the case, and recent history supports my supposition.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Apple is known to not listen to the consumers, in fact Steve Jobs went out of his way to state they avoid focus groups and instead prefer telling consumers what they want, not the other way around.

If sales were not dropping, and class action suits being filed for the keyboard, we'd not see these changes. For some time apple was tone-deaf to what consumers wanted. Just look at the trash can macrpo. Look how long it took for them to change directions and actually provide a machine that creative professionals wanted.

I have to disagree, that companies, specifically Apple is always listening to the public because I just don't believe that's the case, and recent history supports my supposition.

A lot of people miss the point that, people don't always know what they want. They did an experiment with what kind of soup people like and what type they don't like - and in a blind test they ended up liking the kind they apparently don't favour.

If Apple was listening to people, the iPhone could never have been made - just look at Steve Balmer's and many others response to the iPhone, to him it seemed a clear disaster and "not what people want or expect". I remember people saying how ridiculous, a phone without a keyboard etc :D.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A lot of people miss the point that, people don't always know what they want.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just making the point that all companies do not always listen to consumers. Apple is one of those that had for a long time preferred telling us what we wanted. Sometimes that worked out, i.e., the iPod, and iPhone, and sometimes it did not work like with the trash can mac pro

Reactions: Never mind

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just making the point that all companies do not always listen to consumers. Apple is one of those that had for a long time preferred telling us what we wanted. Sometimes that worked out, i.e., the iPod, and iPhone, and sometimes it did not work like with the trash can mac pro

Oh I was agreeing with your post btw - sorry if it was unclear :).

Reactions: maflynn

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

Word on the street is this update of the macbook pro was meant for WWDC to coincide with the 9980HK 8 core release with the extra thermal head room etc. Somewhere along the line, they decided to move up the keyboard update into this model and it was delayed from mid 2019 to late 2019. That's how we got a half redesign with a wonky release schedule.

I think Apple is aware of sentiment but as a whole, their corporate structure does not allow them to be agile and change something relatively quickly. It takes them a couple cycles to get things to really hit the stores.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah, I think no-one was expecting from Apple to keep the prices the same while also having the base configuration at 512GB SSD. It's clear that Apple wanted to regain some trust (and sales) from the Pro users who are also the ones that are more sensitive to imperfections like the butterfly keyboard of the touch bar. I think this has been a great year for Apple's offerings compared at least to the horrible 2018 where virtually everything got a price increase.

Yeah the pricing is actually fairly competitive for the 16". My 2016 MBP is okay but has started to struggle on things like compiling Xcode projects and working with 3D objects in Photoshop (even with a Blackmagic eGPU). I'd give a hypothetical 14" machine real consideration, especially if they upped the spec without upping the price.

I'm not really convinced this is a proper 5th generation MacBook Pro (seems more 4.5th gen), but I would assume we are now stuck with this design for at least a year or two. That imaginary FaceID laptop still seems far away.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Word on the street is this update of the macbook pro was meant for WWDC to coincide with the 9980HK 8 core release with the extra thermal head room etc. Somewhere along the line, they decided to move up the keyboard update into this model and it was delayed from mid 2019 to late 2019. That's how we got a half redesign with a wonky release schedule.

I think Apple is aware of sentiment but as a whole, their corporate structure does not allow them to be agile and change something relatively quickly. It takes them a couple cycles to get things to really hit the stores.
I am interested about where this machine ultimately fits in, it sounds to me like the mini LED backlit display is meant for what would have been the 2020 redesign, that's now slated for 2021, so presumably at least one further internals refresh of this machine next year before we see a 'full' redesign that brings different design language and significant new features (ProMotion, high dynamic range, face ID to name just a couple of potential things off the top of my head) and maybe the much rumoured ARM CPU? Assuming the latter is true, we could see this machine continue to be sold and updated alongside a new 2021 ARM model for a few years more as well.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
You think it's that much of a speed difference? seems more a power difference and by the time Intel does H at 10nm Apple will be using it's own CPU

Well there has been about a 10% increase in single thread performance since 2017, so other than RAM or GPU I don't see much reason to upgrade, and would rather wait out for 10nm and LPPDR4 ram which will reduce power significantly.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
You know what I learned yesterday? The hardware team and Phill Schiller does watch this thread. Because he mentioned how off we were with a lot of things. I am going to be more circumspect with my comments in the future since I know they watch the thread.

• Love
Reactions: Aquamite and cool11

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
You know what I learned yesterday? The hardware team and Phill Schiller does watch this thread. Because he mentioned how off we were with a lot of things. I am going to be more circumspect with my comments in the future since I know they watch the thread.

What an info!
Apple, please, at last, take a look at the unbelievable tremendous expensive prices of Apple products in Europe!
As I have read somewhere, all big todays' tech giants may be USA based, (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon - GAFA)
but their most customers are in Europe!
Something should be done about the out-of-this-world prices of Apple in Europe!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
That's a bit obsequious isn't it, lol? If you don't complain openly and vociferously about what you don't like they're less likely to pick up on it and change it... if the 16" is the way it is in part because of this thread and the complaints about the keyboard, thermals, touch bar etc then that's a good end result is it not?

(Of course it must also work both ways, so in case you're reading, Phil et al, job well done to you and everyone involved on the 16". Looks to be a wonderful computer and I am hoping I will love it as much as my 2015 when I finally get my hands on it ? ?)

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Phil Schiller:

Thanks bruh. Cool laptop.

Don't update it too much in June because then I'm going to regret buying this one now.

Peace.

But if you waited until June-October next year and bought one, you run the same risk the following year (with introduction potentially of 10nm).

There is always something around the corner but guys seriously, in the history of MacBook offerings, I’ve never seen Apple provide so much at such a reasonable cost in a long time.

The stars have aligned and I don’t think you’ll get a better buying opportunity than this in a long time.

Reactions: BigBoy2018

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
For anyone who ordered with a potential 11/15 delivery, use Fedex track by reference and put in your order number. My label was created today.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
That's a bit obsequious isn't it, lol? If you don't complain openly and vociferously about what you don't like they're less likely to pick up on it and change it... if the 16" is the way it is in part because of this thread and the complaints about the keyboard, thermals, touch bar etc then that's a good end result is it not?

(Of course it must also work both ways, so in case you're reading, Phil et al, job well done to you and everyone involved on the 16". Looks to be a wonderful computer and I am hoping I will love it as much as my 2015 when I finally get my hands on it ? ?)
What I mean is, I will be careful to be constructive with my comments and feedback.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
What an info!
Apple, please, at last, take a look at the unbelievable tremendous expensive prices of Apple products in Europe!
As I have read somewhere, all big todays' tech giants may be USA based, (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon - GAFA)
but their most customers are in Europe!
Something should be done about the out-of-this-world prices of Apple in Europe!
It’s honestly ridiculous that flying over to the US and buying a machine there is cheaper than buying one locally.

Reactions: cool11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.