Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
It’s honestly ridiculous that flying over to the US and buying a machine there is cheaper than buying one locally.

I work with a lot of immigrants. They are constantly buying stuff for friends and family when ever they return home. Apple products are probably the most common items they do this with.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
I work with a lot of immigrants. They are constantly buying stuff for friends and family when ever they return home. Apple products are probably the most common items they do this with.
No surprise. My 256 pro max would have cost me $1800 here in Moscow.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Yeah, I think no-one was expecting from Apple to keep the prices the same while also having the base configuration at 512GB SSD. It's clear that Apple wanted to regain some trust (and sales) from the Pro users who are also the ones that are more sensitive to imperfections like the butterfly keyboard of the touch bar. I think this has been a great year for Apple's offerings compared at least to the horrible 2018 where virtually everything got a price increase.
Yeah but also best in mind there is potential tariffs going on these in December due to US China trade dispute. I don’t think Apple will be paying the tariffs themselves I think they will pass it on to customers

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Have your honeymoon in US and while at it buy the MBP just put it on another perspective.
Getting your native keyboard layout (assuming different to the US') is one big reason not to do it, I don't think I could do without the vertical enter/return key - worth the extra to me.

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013
It’s honestly ridiculous that flying over to the US and buying a machine there is cheaper than buying one locally.
Yea... I bought mine yesterday (I live in Italy) and It cost me 4170€, around 4560$. The same machine in USA cost 3900$! And the change EUR/USD is in my favour!!!

Reactions: kinster and cool11

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Prices in US are without tax. Here in Sweden VAT is 25%, what is it in Italy?

Probable that is the difference. My picture is that Apple try to keep the same pre-tax prices globally.

Reactions: kinster

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Anyone got the 16" ? i wonder if Apple took away that rubber surrendering the display, like surface laptop 3 did...i hope not since on SL3 you get all of the keys imprinted on the display, even when you take it with your hand with the lid closed
Since the keys are even more pop up from the chassis by 0.2mm without that rubber i am sure that the keys will touch easily the display

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Anyone got the 16" ? i wonder if Apple took away that rubber surrendering the display, like surface laptop 3 did...i hope not since on SL3 you get all of the keys imprinted on the display, even when you take it with your hand with the lid closed
Since the keys are even more pop up from the chassis by 0.2mm without that rubber i am sure that the keys will touch easily the display
You can see it's still there in photos, but the keys are recessed so they wouldn't touch the display anyway unless you're flexing it enough to touch them whether the rubber is there or not. That gasket's official function is actually to keep dust out.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
You can see it's still there in photos, but the keys are recessed so they wouldn't touch the display anyway unless you're flexing it enough to touch them whether the rubber is there or not. That gasket's official function is actually to keep dust out.
remember...the chassis, that recessed didnt go under, just the keys are pop up more than the 2016-2018 models by 0.2
if you look closer the keys are raised a little bit more than the former models...i think my 15" 2018 mbp has around 2mm distance between the display and the keys, 1mm thanks to that rubber
That rubber keep dust out and keep the display away from the keys even if you place some light pressure...lets say a small book, or another macbook

Marzel

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2018

Probable that is the difference. My picture is that Apple try to keep the same pre-tax prices globally.
Something else that people tend to overlook is warranty. Under EU law all products are covered for 3 years (5 in the UK) so Apple Care is completely redundant (unless people need coverage for accidental damage in which case you go for Apple Care+). I have never bought Apple Care in Europe, and I have repaired for free many Macs well within their 3rd year after purchase. If you add taxes and Apple Care in the US, you essentially reach EU prices.

Reactions: cerberusss

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Might as well start this one. 2020 is surely the year of the redesign.

What gives you that idea? This was the redesign.

iMac hasn’t been redesigned since 2012. They will maybe redesign it with ARM, and that most likely won’t be next year.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
So, what about the 15'' models?
Will the new 16'' model, completely replace the 15'' models?
Will the new 16'' model be the new 15'' model as we know it from all the previous years?

Mojo1019

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2013

In Italy we have the IVA at 22%. So maybe is because of that, but this is really confusing!

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
To Sweden, ETA Nov 27-29.

You are right, mine just went from processing to preparing to shipped too. Usually it’s 1-3 days after this that it gets shipped?
[automerge]1573852044[/automerge]
Will the new 16'' model be the new 15'' model as we know it from all the previous years?

Yes

Reactions: cool11

conan-kun

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Ohio, USA
Mine also went to preparing to ship a few hours ago... I'm in the US. My apple card says it was charged at 12:22pm.

My delivery dates are Nov 21-25.

I upgraded the ram to 32 and the 5500M 8gb video card. I also paid extra for express shipping (not sure that even helps if it comes from China).

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
There will be no more 15 inch, its completely replaced by 16 inch.
From 13 inch to jump directly to 16 inch a big leap I would say .

Reactions: cool11

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I noticed base model is available in store in UK today but not the upgraded base model, strange! Unless the site is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.