Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I am optimistic we may see an announcement in the next 3 days.

If it doesn't happen this week then I surrender to those of you who said 2020

But we are coming into the second half of the week though? Isn’t it quite uncommon for Apple to issue new product press releases in the second half of a week? I’d be more inclined to say it’ll happen in the same week the new Mac Pro goes up for sale, as John Gruber has speculated. The very latest Kuo rumours about the 16” MacBook Pro being pushed out to 2020 have taken away a lot of my hope.

Reactions: Ener Ji

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
But we are coming into the second half of the week though? Isn’t it quite uncommon for Apple to issue new product press releases in the second half of a week? I’d be more inclined to say it’ll happen in the same week the new Mac Pro goes up for sale, as John Gruber has speculated. The very latest Kuo rumours about the 16” MacBook Pro being pushed out to 2020 have taken away a lot of my hope.

I don't know. Nobody knows.

The big Adobe event is the 7th-9th and an invite says that Apple will have hardware to play with.

This tells me Mac Pro. This also tells me, if the keyboard issue is solved, an MBP as well.

This really is our last piece of hope for a hardware announcement. If it doesn't happen this week then the 2020 predicters are probably right.

Reactions: jimmy43

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
I don't know. Nobody knows.

The big Adobe event is the 7th-9th and an invite says that Apple will have hardware to play with.

This tells me Mac Pro. This also tells me, if the keyboard issue is solved, an MBP as well.

This really is our last piece of hope for a hardware announcement. If it doesn't happen this week then the 2020 predicters are probably right.

Yea - this seems like the perfect event to - at the very least - showcase a new MBP even if it isnt immediately available. Even if it doesnt make an appearance I'm hoping for an early 2020 release and not something like WWDC..

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
I'm really at a loss on what to do.

I'd like a 13" for the form factor but spending $1500+ on a laptop with 802.11ac WiFi, 8gb of DDR3 memory, 8th gen processors, 720p webcam, and a questionable keyboard is kind of absurd. The 15" fixes some of these but then you lose the form factor and add $1000+ on top of the 13". It looks like the next update for the 13" is probably going to be around March which is still a long way away. I don't NEED a laptop right away but I've been waiting for a long time..

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I meant to have #5 on my list, too...realized my omission after reading your post! Ha! :D

Yeah let's just hope they really deliver on the chassis.....

I'm really at a loss on what to do.

I'd like a 13" for the form factor but spending $1500+ on a laptop with 802.11ac WiFi, 8gb of DDR3 memory, 8th gen processors, 720p webcam, and a questionable keyboard is kind of absurd. The 15" fixes some of these but then you lose the form factor and add $1000+ on top of the 13". It looks like the next update for the 13" is probably going to be around March which is still a long way away. I don't NEED a laptop right away but I've been waiting for a long time..

Honestly I'd recommend folks to stay from the 13" if you do any virtualisation at all, I highly regret getting the 13" 2017 TB, should have gone straight to the 15 back then

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Yeah let's just hope they really deliver on the chassis.....

Honestly I'd recommend folks to stay from the 13" if you do any virtualisation at all, I highly regret getting the 13" 2017 TB, should have gone straight to the 15 back then

I'm not worried about doing any sort-of virtualization, I only plan on using it for basic things, Netflix, social media, FaceTime calls, etc..So I don't need the specs of the 15", but 8gb of memory is low even for basic use and since it can't be upgraded, the 8gb will likely be an issue in the future.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I'm not worried about doing any sort-of virtualization, I only plan on using it for basic things, Netflix, social media, FaceTime calls, etc..So I don't need the specs of the 15", but 8gb of memory is low even for basic use and since it can't be upgraded, the 8gb will likely be an issue in the future.

I use a Windows Vm on my 2017 Tb check the RAM usage...

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 14.54.46.png

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
I just don't see Apple launching the MacBook Pro at another company's convention. I think it is either whenever the Mac Pro launches, or next year. Looking more and more likely for next year.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I just don't see Apple launching the MacBook Pro at another company's convention. I think it is either whenever the Mac Pro launches, or next year. Looking more and more likely for next year.

For all we know the 16" could just be a 15" refresh... I mean last year we saw Vega and Mac mini press releases on those there so I don't know let's wait and see.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010

But the leaked images...

I'm going to lose hope when the Mac Pro's availability and order-page goes live, and not before. I still think the 16" could be a very derivative evolution of the 15" and be announced via press release.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I'm going to lose hope when the Mac Pro's availability and order-page goes live, and not before. I still think the 16" could be a very derivative evolution of the 15" and be announced via press release.

Just in time for Black Friday lol...

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
For Apple it will be "black ink Friday"

Layering on the lettuce of profit in Tim's salad bowl

While I watch myself spend 3k on this to get a refresh come spring lol

Actually and admittedly quite ridiculously, that‘s exactly what I‘m hoping for: Apple exchanging the current 15“ with an not-exorbitantly-more-expensive 16“ that just adds better keyboard, GPU and slightly larger screen/smaller bezels.

For the exact same price? Would be amazing.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
For the exact same price? Would be amazing.

I doubt it'll be the exact same price. When the 15" Retina was introduced in 2012, the base price went up compared to the previous 15". When the MBP was redesigned in 2016, the base price went up again. I'd be very surprised if the base price doesn't increase once again on the 16", but I'm hoping it will be a modest increase that's in-line with the additional value it provides.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
For all we know the 16" could just be a 15" refresh... I mean last year we saw Vega and Mac mini press releases on those there so I don't know let's wait and see.

Is anyone seriously expecting it to be anything else? I was quite sure from the start that the 16” is a redesign of the 15”, with practically the same size and components, but narrower bezels.

Reactions: The Mercurian

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Is anyone seriously expecting it to be anything else? I was quite sure from the start that the 16” is a redesign of the 15”, with practically the same size and components, but narrower bezels.

True that's what i'm hoping

I doubt it'll be the exact same price. When the 15" Retina was introduced in 2012, the base price went up compared to the previous 15". When the MBP was redesigned in 2016, the base price went up again. I'd be very surprised if the base price doesn't increase once again on the 16", but I'm hoping it will be a modest increase that's in-line with the additional value it provides.

Right like what 500 euros more? As in 3k? I don't know let's wait and see

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
2019 Mac Pro is on B&H photo as a "coming soon" item. Seems like Mac Pro is going to drop prior this event Friday. If we have any shot at a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, it seems like that chance will be in tandem with the Mac Pro.

Reactions: Ener Ji

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
2019 Mac Pro is on B&H photo as a "coming soon" item. Seems like Mac Pro is going to drop prior this event Friday. If we have any shot at a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, it seems like that chance will be in tandem with the Mac Pro.

A lot of people seem to think chances are slim the 16" will be announced by Friday, but again, nobody knows nuttin'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.