Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Sure if the model is a new higher end model. But do you see them releasing a 1” bigger screen model with small form factor still limiting how much power the machine could get for an extra 6-700$ price at a starting price at 2999? I don’t see how they would expect anybody to buy it with a small spec update maybe including Navi chips but I don’t see how they can offer anything higher than current 15” models to ask for a higher price besides a slightly bigger screen.
I still see apple dropping the 15” model in favor of the 16”. They can fit a 1” bigger screen into the current form factor on the 15” right now if they wanted.
Only way I can see apple having a completely separate model from the 15.4” is to bring back the 17” model.

There are a few changes that Apple could conceivably bundle into a higher-end 16" MBP if they so choose. For example, display improvements (OLED, higher resolution screen, improved color rendering), 802.11ax (next-gen WiFi), 64GB RAM support, new thermal design for more performance, etc.

I agree that if they do this it would be logical to drop the 15" eventually, perhaps with a less expensive 14" model also replacing the current 13" MBP, which could be an option for those priced out of the 16". The MacBook Air (with or without some upgrades) could then become the default 13" model for current fans of the 13" MBP who are priced out of the higher-priced 14" line.

No, the 15" retina was announced at the same time (WWDC 2012) as the refresh - the previous refresh was in October 2011. The closest comparison is probably when they released the 17" unibody in early 2009 not long after the 15" one in 2008.

Either way this mythical 16" model is more likely to be 2020 than 2019.

Hmmm, my memory told me otherwise, but a quick search seems to back you up, so you're probably right and my memory is faulty. I do agree that I think 2020 is more likely than 2019. I just think it's possible to see a new MBP in 2019.

Apple registering for seven new upcoming models (whether iPads or portable Macs) certainly adds some fodder for speculation.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I'm really hoping for panel improvements come the next couple MacBooks Pro would love to see a combination of 4k with a bezeless screen.

Other than that just hoping for Navi GPUs on the 15"

Reactions: Ener Ji

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
That leaves three machines other than the MacBook - two Pros and something else. I'm on thin ice about what the "something else" might be - my best guess is either a "big MacBook" or an ultra high-end model of the 16" Pro (an OLED display might be a big enough difference to generate its own model number).
Keep in mind that this fall, the most recent MacBook Air is turning one year old aswell. It's very possible that at least one of these 7 models is simply a refreshed MBA. It could easily get the 2019 Butterfly keyboard, the newest Intel chips and maybe some other refinements over last year, especially if Apple now sticks to a more regular release schedule across its' Mac lineup (which for example the last few MBP releases indicate).

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
I really hope they don't release the 16 inch as a halo model on top of the 15 inch.

Also what benefits does 10 nm have over 14 nm aside from improved efficiency?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I expect Apple will use the design language of the Pro Display XDR in the new MacBook Pro. I don't know if they'll go for the OLED panels just yet, but I can foresee the next MacBook Pro having more squared off corners like the Pro Display XDR along with those super thin bezels. I think the screen could be thicker to accommodate Face ID and a better FaceTime camera (think iPad Pro). And lastly I expect them to use the keyboard mechanism from their standalone Bluetooth wireless keyboards along with bringing back the inverted-T arrow keys. Who knows when this will arrive. Will Apple put in Comet Lake chips or will they put in their ARM architecture? I'm leaning Intel here but time will tell...

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I bought a Macbook Pro 2019 few days ago. I am thinking if I should return it.
Personally, the machine works absolutely fine but I'll be disappointed if Apple launches new Machines.
Apple just registered the mobile notebooks few days ago according to the news.
I have 3 days left for the return.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
I bought a Macbook Pro 2019 few days ago. I am thinking if I should return it.
Personally, the machine works absolutely fine but I'll be disappointed if Apple launches new Machines.
Apple just registered the mobile notebooks few days ago according to the news.
I have 3 days left for the return.
I am in the same boat . (still have 6 days) .Many people thinks there won’t be a new mbp this year but also quite a few thinks there will be so I decided to send it back and wait for October ,if not I will wait for a new design in 2020

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I am in the same boat . (still have 6 days) .Many people thinks there won’t be a new mbp this year but also quite a few thinks there will be so I decided to send it back and wait for October ,if not I will wait for a new design in 2020
if it comes. always waiting for a redesign isnt the best with apple. how mad would you be when 2020 comes around and no redesign and you didnt buy a machine you needed now? rumors are rumors

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
if it comes. always waiting for a redesign isnt the best with apple. how mad would you be when 2020 comes around and no redesign and you didnt buy a machine you needed now? rumors are rumors

As always, if you need a Macbook right now buy it now.. If you can wait just wait for whatever comes next especially if you are in the market for a 13" since the new one ones bring Intel iGPU Gen 11 which is a massive step forward.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
You are right but I would be very pissed if they release a new mbp after 2-3 months

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You are right but I would be very pissed if they release a new mbp after 2-3 months

I know, I hate it when that happens. Apple releases a new one and the old ones suddenly stop working. Infuriating.

Obviously that doesn't really happen, and new devices/tech are coming out all the time.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i put that at a 20% chance of happening. we'll see but im not holding my breath for new pro hardware this year besides a navi update possibly.

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
I'm on the hopeful side of a new Macbook Pro this year. The recent minor update could just be to keep sales moving while they focus on or finalise the the new one.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm on the hopeful side of a new Macbook Pro this year. The recent minor update could just be to keep sales moving while they focus on or finalise the the new one.
where sales bad that they needed to update the machines? then 3 months later release new hardware? im pretty doubtful and it would make everyone that just bought on the update very mad come october. A chip release later in the year is fine but a whole new pro would have people that bought pretty furious. If i was apple i would hold off 3 months and not bother releasing an update especially to the 15" line.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

I think Apple is waiting on Intel's new 10nm parts to ship... Not sure if Intel is gonna launch those certain models the that Apple uses this year.

Also navi on laptops sounds like late 2020 anyway....

Reactions: sydneysider88

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Couldn't comment if sales were bad, but the feedback on the current generation is pretty mediocre and I'm sure many are keen to see what next. It's only recently that I looked at PC laptops, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Many folks purchase Apple products moments prior to updates. Yeah you get annoyed, but you forget about it quite quickly. Because Apple ain't going to care.

halw

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Well the good news is every one returning their 2019 MBP's helps with refurb availability. While nothing is listed as available I just noticed that you can search by 2019 for 15inch MBP's now on Apple's refurb site. Hopefully they have some available sooner than 6 months after the release based on this. Or someone messed up?

Though I'm still hoping they do a Navi 8g offering in October or a faster Vega with more video ram this year.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Couldn't comment if sales were bad, but the feedback on the current generation is pretty mediocre and I'm sure many are keen to see what next. It's only recently that I looked at PC laptops, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Many folks purchase Apple products moments prior to updates. Yeah you get annoyed, but you forget about it quite quickly. Because Apple ain't going to care.

Well yeah.. The problem is that for people who don't have a Mac or need a Mac have no choice... For those who can wait they should wait that's all.

I regret buying my 2017 13" TB but I simply had no choice because I really needed to get a Mac

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I think Apple is waiting on Intel's new 10nm parts to ship... Not sure if Intel is gonna launch those certain models the that Apple uses this year.

Also navi on laptops sounds like late 2020 anyway....

Maybe Apple will use the rumoured AMD "7nm+" zen2 mobile chip for the new laptops, they should be out late 2019.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
2019 MBP came out almost a month ago. If new ones come out it'll be in late October, about half a year later. It's not all that insulting to the people who bought a 2019. Which Apple btw didn't make any fuss about and just quietly refreshed the specs.

Also combined with the Ming report of 16"+ redesign coming in 2019 and SEVEN (!!!) new laptop models being recently registered in the Eurasia database - I've decided to return my 2019 MBP and wait for October.

At worst we'll get quad core 10nm ice lake MacBooks or Airs, which would be a fine consolation prize on their own if there is no new MBP.

RegularGuy09

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
At worst we'll get quad core 10nm ice lake MacBooks or Airs, which would be a fine consolation prize on their own if there is no new MBP.

You reckon Apple wont put the dual core ice lake processors in the Air, and instead would add the much higher TDP'ed quad-core Ice Lake Processors?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
2019 MBP came out almost a month ago. If new ones come out it'll be in late October, about half a year later. It's not all that insulting to the people who bought a 2019. Which Apple btw didn't make any fuss about and just quietly refreshed the specs.

Also combined with the Ming report of 16"+ redesign coming in 2019 and SEVEN (!!!) new laptop models being recently registered in the Eurasia database - I've decided to return my 2019 MBP and wait for October.

We still not sure on what type of specs will it be rocking.

If I were you guys I'd wait for Navi on a 15"... Regarding 13" Ice Lake is pretty good brining Gen 11 chips.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
I really hope they don't release the 16 inch as a halo model on top of the 15 inch.

Also what benefits does 10 nm have over 14 nm aside from improved efficiency?

I hope they do thats what im waiting for :D

There are tons of improvements over the new 10nm compared to 14...higher efficiency, updated architecture, LPDDR4 RAM (FINALLY) etc.

Buying a laptop with a 14nm CPU is essentially the same thing as buying a laptop from 2015 at this point after all the delays from intel.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

There are tons of improvements over the new 10nm compared to 14...higher efficiency, updated architecture, LPDDR4 RAM (FINALLY) etc.

Buying a laptop with a 14nm CPU is essentially the same thing as buying a laptop from 2015 at this point after all the delays from intel.

Let's not even forget the iGPU Gen 11... That's one of the biggest upgrades alongside LPDDR4

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017

Didn't the 2018 MBP already come with LPDDR4 RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.