Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Guys/Girls

I am looking to purchase a MBP 13" with 16gb 512 ssd, now question is should i wait till Oct or are we quite certain that the one for sale will be renewed next yr? Not to fussed if theres a new model next year but i can wait till Oct rather than now.. thoughts please

If you need it now I'd buy it now. If you can wait until October (and you say you can) I'd wait.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Consensus seems to be that if there's a new model coming in 2019 it will be this larger 16" one which will probably be an all-new design. But details have been sketchy to say the least.

They've just updated the current range, so my bets are that if this new model lands, the design will then go in to rest of the range next Spring or Summer.

Its all guesswork though :)

If you need a new laptop, the current 13" is a lovely machine (2018 refurb or brand new 2019), but if you can wait, there's no harm in doing so.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
It seems (probably) the 16” will have 8c cpu and a key travel of 1.1mm, my 2018 has 0.8mm if im not mistaken. i wonder if this means still butterfly or other tech inside?!

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
If they increase key travel and get rid of the butterfly switches, I’ll be tempted...unless the price starts at something absurd. I really want to return to Mac OS.

Reactions: AFPBoy and Basic75

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
It seems (probably) the 16” will have 8c cpu and a key travel of 1.1mm, my 2018 has 0.8mm if im not mistaken. i wonder if this means still butterfly or other tech inside?!

How do you know the 16" mbp will have 8c cpu and 1.1mm of keyboard travel? I haven't heard anything about what you're describing.

brbwarriors

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
What advantages would an 8 core Mac offer however over a quad core? I'm thinking more heat and more throttling is a given especially if they offer something with a dedicated gpu. Do people use a MacBook Pro as a dedicated video editing machine because video editing is where you can have an advantage with those 8 cores. Otherwise anything with four cores does well with final cut pro and adobe premiere.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
What advantages would an 8 core Mac offer however over a quad core? I'm thinking more heat and more throttling is a given especially if they offer something with a dedicated gpu. Do people use a MacBook Pro as a dedicated video editing machine because video editing is where you can have an advantage with those 8 cores. Otherwise anything with four cores does well with final cut pro and adobe premiere.
Have you not seen the reviews of any 2019 8 core 15” MacBook pros yet?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
ya they get hot up to 100 degrees Celsius and throttle to 3.0ghz
It’s not throttling. Turbo boost isn’t meant to be 5ghz continuously. The 8 cores run cooler than the 6 from last year so your logic is out the window.
What’s the base speed? Does it “throttle” under that? Ok then so it doesn’t throttle

Reactions: Kung gu

brbwarriors

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
Well all these
It’s not throttling. Turbo boost isn’t meant to be 5ghz continuously. The 8 cores run cooler than the 6 from last year so your logic is out the window.
What’s the base speed? Does it “throttle” under that? Ok then so it doesn’t throttle

Well do they actually have a review where they run a prolonged session of final cut pro for say 30-45 minutes and measure temps, and clock speeds during that period? Would be interesting to see. All these youtube guys are running these short small benchmarks when in reality, if you are plunging $3k on a MacBook Pro you probably want to do some heavy video editing I gather. Been trying to find one where the really stress the cpu for prolonged periods but can't find one as of yet.

Reactions: Eason85

Cmgreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Consensus seems to be that if there's a new model coming in 2019 it will be this larger 16" one which will probably be an all-new design. But details have been sketchy to say the least.

They've just updated the current range, so my bets are that if this new model lands, the design will then go in to rest of the range next Spring or Summer.

Its all guesswork though :)

If you need a new laptop, the current 13" is a lovely machine (2018 refurb or brand new 2019), but if you can wait, there's no harm in doing so.

Thanks for the Answers guys, but really can we see a new Mac Book Pro 13" in Oct? Just questioning Apple's motive, surely there would be alot of annoyed people?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for the Answers guys, but really can we see a new Mac Book Pro 13" in Oct? Just questioning Apple's motive, surely there would be alot of annoyed people?

I don't expect to see a new 13" or 15" in October - like you say, that would lead to a lot of pi**ed-off new owners.

If the new larger machine arrives, I'd expect a new 13 & 15 next Spring/Summer.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Well all these

Well do they actually have a review where they run a prolonged session of final cut pro for say 30-45 minutes and measure temps, and clock speeds during that period? Would be interesting to see. All these youtube guys are running these short small benchmarks when in reality, if you are plunging $3k on a MacBook Pro you probably want to do some heavy video editing I gather. Been trying to find one where the really stress the cpu for prolonged periods but can't find one as of yet.
not sure about 30-45 minute one heres a decent review comparing all the years back to 2016. He does some 15min 4k stuff around the 18 mark.

Another good one

Last edited:

Cmgreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
I don't expect to see a new 13" or 15" in October - like you say, that would lead to a lot of pi**ed-off new owners.

If the new larger machine arrives, I'd expect a new 13 & 15 next Spring/Summer.

So looks like am pretty safe to buy a 13" pro now then

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

I don’t really think Apple would care. Nor should they. If better tech comes along that makes for a better laptop I hope they put it onto the market. I’d hate to see them hold off just because some folks might get butt-hurt about a new device coming out.

There are always new devices coming out.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I don’t really think Apple would care. Nor should they. If better tech comes along that makes for a better laptop I hope they put it onto the market. I’d hate to see them hold off just because some folks might get butt-hurt about a new device coming out.

There are always new devices coming out.
Not really. Not full redesigns 3 months after a product came out.
Apple doesn’t release new designs that often if you haven’t noticed by now. Once a year usually. 4 years for redesigns

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
So looks like am pretty safe to buy a 13" pro now then

Its all guesswork, but its always been the same in technology, if you keep waiting for the next new thing, you'll never buy anything. And just because something new comes out, it won't render your laptop any less useful than it was the day before.

SantaClawz

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2019
Toronto area
The main problem I have with waiting at this point is that the very fact that they engineered a fourth generation butterfly keyboard with new materials tells me that they’re not getting rid of that keyboard garbage anytime soon.

Nothing wrong with the current keyboard, at least in my opinion, for what it's worth.

Flabasha

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Apple doesn’t release new designs that often if you haven’t noticed by now. Once a year usually. 4 years for redesigns

A new 16" wouldn't supplant the current 15", it'd be a different model. So they're not deprecating the model released 3 months earlier.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
A new 16" wouldn't supplant the current 15", it'd be a different model. So they're not deprecating the model released 3 months earlier.
According to who? Nobody knows. It’s 1” bigger it could very well be the new model that replaces the 15”.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
This thread stickies seems premauture since we have the 16+ incher with maybe FaceID possibly this year. Bring back old thread. Keep the faith people.
[doublepost=1561855986][/doublepost]
According to who? Nobody knows. It’s 1” bigger it could very well be the new model that replaces the 15”.
if it's a 16 incher with FaceID that'd be a redesign.
[doublepost=1561856083][/doublepost]
Oh my lord. There is no pattern where either new models or redesigns do not appear if there has been a spec bump on the product line.

If apple didn't release the new chips - people complain. If they do - people complain if you release something else. They release stuff when they got it,.

Reactions: Basic75

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
This thread stickies seems premauture since we have the 16+ incher with maybe FaceID possibly this year. Bring back old thread. Keep the faith people.
[doublepost=1561855986][/doublepost]
if it's a 16 incher with FaceID that'd be a redesign.
[doublepost=1561856083][/doublepost]
Oh my lord. There is no pattern where either new models or redesigns do not appear if there has been a spec bump on the product line.

If apple didn't release the new chips - people complain. If they do - people complain if you release something else. They release stuff when they got it,.
it is just speculation is all. These new model numbers can be for updates to other lines also. I can see apple replacing the 15" with a 16" and also a 14" in place of the 13. Just like how they did the new sizing for the ipads with slimmer bezels.
Nobody would have cried if apple never updated the 2019's a month ago and then updated the lines in October like usual like it seems like they will do in a few months. Just saying a lot of people where mad that the vega gpu's came out 4-5 months after they updated the 2018's and it wasn't a whole new machine like the mysterious 16".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.