Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
I am in the same boat . (still have 6 days) .Many people thinks there won’t be a new mbp this year but also quite a few thinks there will be so I decided to send it back and wait for October ,if not I will wait for a new design in 2020

After considering, I am returning my Macbook Pro and will see what will come in October. I still have choices to buy it again or wait for a new design in 2020.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
that article was horrible and billion popups. I could write a better story than that. anywayyy, we'll see what happens later in the year i still highly doubt a new machine is released.
I'd take any Apple news from Forbes these days with a grain of salt. They are as clickbait-y as they come nowadays, throwing out a "[new version of iOS] has a NASTY surprise!"-article on pretty much every iOS-update Apple releases, along with all kinds of other questionable practices that don't exactly strengthen my belief in their journalistic integrity.

I've read through their linked article, and TBH I'm not sure what to think of it. They do share some concrete information about this 16" MBP coming supposedly later this year, but the author doesn't talk at all about the reputability of this information. Who is this IHS Markit group? Why do they supposedly have information about new Apple laptops and where from? Have they shared similar "leaks" in the past and if so, how good is their track record? Did Forbes approach them for information and if so, why, or did they approach Forbes and potentially other news sites with it? How much can we, the reader, trust in what they say?

Most of the time MacRumors for example publishes an article discussing leaks like that, they have 1-2 paragraphs discussing who the supposed leaker/insider is and why we as readers should or shouldn't take his word for it. While people who browse MacRumors 3 times a day might sigh at yet another explanation of who Mark Gurman or Ming-Chi Kuo is, this type of information is actually important to give the reader some context to a rumor and an assessment about how reputable their prediction is.

The omission of these types of information in the Forbes article is a big red flag for me, as is the fact that no other news sites seem to have picked up on this supposed leak yet. Now maybe their source does have some insider knowledge, but as a reader, I can't know if I don't already know their source very well beforehand. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe them if they included some information about their source in the article, rather than putting it out this prediction without any context to it and letting the reader do their research for them if he wants to know how reputable this source is.

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'd take any Apple news from Forbes these days with a grain of salt. They are as clickbait-y as they come nowadays, throwing out a "[new version of iOS] has a NASTY surprise!"-article on pretty much every iOS-update Apple releases, along with all kinds of other questionable practices that don't exactly strengthen my belief in their journalistic integrity.

I've read through their linked article, and TBH I'm not sure what to think of it. They do share some concrete information about this 16" MBP coming supposedly later this year, but the author doesn't talk at all about the reputability of this information. Who is this IHS Markit group? Why do they supposedly have information about new Apple laptops and where from? Have they shared similar "leaks" in the past and if so, how good is their track record? Did Forbes approach them for information and if so, why, or did they approach Forbes and potentially other news sites with it? How much can we, the reader, trust in what they say?

Most of the time MacRumors for example publishes an article discussing leaks like that, they have 1-2 paragraphs discussing who the supposed leaker/insider is and why we as readers should or shouldn't take his word for it. While people who browse MacRumors 3 times a day might sigh at yet another explanation of who Mark Gurman or Ming-Chi Kuo is, this type of information is actually important to give the reader some context to a rumor and an assessment about how reputable their prediction is.

The omission of these types of information in the Forbes article is a big red flag for me, as is the fact that no other news sites seem to have picked up on this supposed leak yet. Now maybe their source does have some insider knowledge, but as a reader, I can't know if I don't already know their source very well beforehand. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe them if they included some information about their source in the article, rather than putting it out this prediction without any context to it and letting the reader do their research for them if he wants to know how reputable this source is.
its just a mix of information that cycles around the web. From the new part numbers being found of new machines(most likely the 12 and air updated machines) and ming chi. But most people seem to thing those new machines listed are for the almighty 16" redesign after the 2019 models just got released. Im not buying into all the rumors just based on what we already got this year. If you go on youtube there are a ton of youtubers claiming the new part numbers are indeed for the 16" but its all just click bait stuff. Nobody knows whats going on

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
its just a mix of information that cycles around the web. From the new part numbers being found of new machines(most likely the 12 and air updated machines) and ming chi. But most people seem to thing those new machines listed are for the almighty 16" redesign after the 2019 models just got released. Im not buying into all the rumors just based on what we already got this year. If you go on youtube there are a ton of youtubers claiming the new part numbers are indeed for the 16" but its all just click bait stuff. Nobody knows whats going on
As far as the 7 new models go, I still wouldn't rule a 16" out (though nor would I say it's anywhere near guaranteed) - Apple have shown they aren't adverse to adding higher tier offerings at higher prices lately (indeed this seems to be how they bring in new designs now), and of course they did something similar with the retina model when that debuted in 2012. An October Mac event that comes just after the Mac Pro launches would seem a good opportunity to launch such a new model. Having said that, it is possible to get to 7 without a new 16" (also taking into account we've had no rumours of a new 14 inch MacBook or 15 inch Air or similar):

Macbook - WiFi
MacBook - Cellular

MacBook Air - WiFi
MacBook Air - Cellular

MacBook Pro (non TB) - WiFi
MacBook Pro 15" - Cellular
MacBook Pro 13" - Cellular

This would hinge on the WiFi models getting new A numbers though, which often isn't the case when there's just a chip bump... interesting indeed.

Reactions: alexandero

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Macbook - WiFi
MacBook - Cellular

MacBook Air - WiFi
MacBook Air - Cellular

MacBook Pro (non TB) - WiFi
MacBook Pro 15" - Cellular
MacBook Pro 13" - Cellular
That sounds quite reasonable. But I honestly wonder if Apple is planning to refresh the non-TB MBP, as there's some overlap with the MBA. Personally I prefer the better screen of the MBP, but Apple tends to go for lesser choices.

Zerosopher

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
United Kingdom
That sounds quite reasonable. But I honestly wonder if Apple is planning to refresh the non-TB MBP, as there's some overlap with the MBA. Personally I prefer the better screen of the MBP, but Apple tends to go for lesser choices.

Hopefully, they update the non-TB. I just returned my Macbook Pro 2019. One of the reason is the 7 machine news plus the touch bar. I want a Pro machine with a proper and physical keyboard.

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
Cellular isn't one A number per machine, it is four or so. In the case of an iPad, there is WiFi only plus three regional cellular variants. The iPhone (of course) doesn't come in a WiFi only variant, but it has four regional variants. There aren't quite enough numbers here for even two cellular-enabled machines. I do think that one cellular Mac (probably the 12" MacBook, but not sure - especially if there's a larger MacBook coming that might get the cell option instead) plus three more Macs is more likely than seven distinct Macs.

The Air has also just gotten its Retina refresh (which was the first new A number in years for the Air). It won't get another one unless it's either the recipient of the cellular option or gets another screen size.

It's hard to come up with enoth variants of MacBooks and Airs to get to seven numbers without refreshing the Pros...

Reactions: Ener Ji

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Reactions: x-evil-x

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Hopefully, they update the non-TB. I just returned my Macbook Pro 2019. One of the reason is the 7 machine news plus the touch bar. I want a Pro machine with a proper and physical keyboard.
they just released a new parts update for the macbook pros. If apple was going to drop this keyboard they would of by now. I dont expect a redesign to change their butterfly keyboards they just insist to keep working with. I just dont see them going back to more travel keyboard that takes up more room. The chances are pretty slim to me we will ever see a traditional keyboard again in apples laptops.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm thinking it's in the last chance saloon at this point - if an opportunity for a refresh (e.g. they update the 12" MacBook) comes and goes and there's no news, it's probably done. Still think there's room for a machine of this spec level, a little bit more powerful than the Air, but not quite up there with the Pro, but I think it's too pinched between the Air and 13" Pro... if they made it a 15" but kept all else the same, even if they upped the price by $100, I think it could work well as a larger general use computer for those who don't need the power and don't want to shell out for the Touchbar Pro. Maybe drop 'Pro' From the name, and just have 12/13 inch MacBook Air, 15 inch MacBook, 13/15 (14/16?) inch MacBook Pro or something.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
they just released a new parts update for the macbook pros. If apple was going to drop this keyboard they would of by now. I dont expect a redesign to change their butterfly keyboards they just insist to keep working with. I just dont see them going back to more travel keyboard that takes up more room. The chances are pretty slim to me we will ever see a traditional keyboard again in apples laptops.
They would HAVE. Jesus Christ, people!

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
The new 2019 mbp STILL has the butterfly keyboard?! What a joke.
Looks like I'm still going to be using my late 2011 15" mbp with 1TB SSD, 1TB spinner and 16GB ram that is still lightning fast.
Only issue I have with using this 2011 mbp is that it doesn't have 'Metal' for the OS's after El Capitan, so I keep El Capitan on it, and some new software requires later OS's.
I had to pay to replace the discrete GFX chip too.
Roll on with the 2020 mbp, lol.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
They would HAVE. Jesus Christ, people!
Breathe. Life goes on
[doublepost=1561386757][/doublepost]
The new 2019 mbp STILL has the butterfly keyboard?! What a joke.
Looks like I'm still going to be using my late 2011 15" mbp with 1TB SSD, 1TB spinner and 16GB ram that is still lightning fast.
Only issue I have with using this 2011 mbp is that it doesn't have 'Metal' for the OS's after El Capitan, so I keep El Capitan on it, and some new software requires later OS's.
I had to pay to replace the discrete GFX chip too.
Roll on with the 2020 mbp, lol.
2020 will have butterfly too. If they still have the same keyboard In 2025 will you give up finally? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: macsplusmacs

inimeg81

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2018
This was my first step into the MBP and MacOS world. It seems that buying an Apple laptop is a challenging affair. I have bought a MBA and MPB TB 2019 in my possession, it looks like after some gift cards, I can keep the MBP 2019 for about $200 over the price of a open box MBA 2018.. However, feeling the MBP is overkill for my tasks but with the news of the MBA being refreshed again this year.. is it worth even hanging onto a device that is going to be outdated in 3 months. Yeesh!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I'd still be surprised to see a new 16" model so soon after the speed bumps we've just had. I don't see how that gets them any good press whatsoever when people will have shelled out on new 15" machines in the same half of the year.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

Cmgreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Guys/Girls

I am looking to purchase a MBP 13" with 16gb 512 ssd, now question is should i wait till Oct or are we quite certain that the one for sale will be renewed next yr? Not to fussed if theres a new model next year but i can wait till Oct rather than now.. thoughts please

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.