Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
I still think the 16 inch is most likely coming in 2020 at the earliest.

But I think Apple was also getting killed by keyboard-gate articles and it was likely affecting buyer behaviour. So they could potentially have pushed 2019 MBP release ahead to try and change that conversation.

Reactions: Basic75

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Will there be new Intel processors out in 2020 that will coincide with a supposed redesign? Or are these processors looking like they will come out in 2021?

I guess with Ice-Lake in laptops by December 2019, is that the processor that will be within the redesign for the top-end 13" MBP, or do we need to wait for Tigerlake?

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Just saying a lot of people where mad that the vega gpu's came out 4-5 months after they updated the 2018's and it wasn't a whole new machine like the mysterious 16".

Sure, but let's not legitimize that nonsense. People get mad for lots of reasons, it doesn't make them the right reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: afir93

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Interesting speculation video, with the timing for the 16" seeming odd (redesign this year with intel just after a spec bump and just as they kick off the ARM transition) could it be the model Apple makes the switch on? It would potentially make sense - if Apple debut their own chips in a 12" MB, then it's immediately pigeonholed as a low power solution, but what if they pull out all the stops and debut this new larger and monstrously powerful ARM MBP? If it really can blow the current model out of the water, this is a huge feather in Apple's cap to kick things off with...

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I really hope the 16" will adopt the XDR display and the mac pro cooling design
I mean besides the airflow from the hinge to have almost all of the bottom case to be filled with holes for far better cooling
It will mark the future of Apple design,and also its time for us to have 6c or 8c macbooks pro with temp under 90C under full load

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
12” mb will be the first arm mac to test the waters and start putting develpers making their x86 apps compatible with macos arm based
The next could be the air if they will still keep it,but after 2-3 years since the first arm mac and based on all the pro apps available,Apple will put arm in the big imacs and macbook pros
So i dont see it until 2023-2025

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe

Interesting speculation video, with the timing for the 16" seeming odd (redesign this year with intel just after a spec bump and just as they kick off the ARM transition) could it be the model Apple makes the switch on? It would potentially make sense - if Apple debut their own chips in a 12" MB, then it's immediately pigeonholed as a low power solution, but what if they pull out all the stops and debut this new larger and monstrously powerful ARM MBP? If it really can blow the current model out of the water, this is a huge feather in Apple's cap to kick things off with...
Wouldn't they have announced it at WWDC?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Wouldn't they have announced it at WWDC?
Possibly, though if there is an October Mac event then they aren't as time constrained with introducing it - most of the 2017 WWDC introductions were spec bumps so didn't need a lot of sage time. With the Mac Pro already taking up a big chunk of time perhaps they couldn't quite fit two big new announcements in, or maybe they wanted focus on the Mac Pro in the run-up to it's release, or maybe the MBP won't be ready until even later in the year (November?) and they thought June was too soon to announce it. Guess we just have to sit tight and see what does/ doesn't appear in October!

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
I really hope the 16" will adopt the XDR display and the mac pro cooling design
I mean besides the airflow from the hinge to have almost all of the bottom case to be filled with holes for far better cooling
It will mark the future of Apple design,and also its time for us to have 6c or 8c macbooks pro with temp under 90C under full load

I would want 0 holes on the bottom but I see where you are going. For a desktop, holes are fine... but for something portable (imagine the use case of in a coffee shop doing work), spilling is a real issue... no ingress thanks...

Either they make the thing thicker and have a real vent on the back and use vapor cooling, or they continue to undervolt via software to maintain temps... for this mac and the graphics, you are going to push more pixels... you'll need a bigger GPU.... perhaps more Ram... thicker also gives us back the keyboard (though I don't have a problem with a 2019 keyboard, it's why I ordered one)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I would want 0 holes on the bottom but I see where you are going. For a desktop, holes are fine... but for something portable (imagine the use case of in a coffee shop doing work), spilling is a real issue... no ingress thanks...

Either they make the thing thicker and have a real vent on the back and use vapor cooling, or they continue to undervolt via software to maintain temps... for this mac and the graphics, you are going to push more pixels... you'll need a bigger GPU.... perhaps more Ram... thicker also gives us back the keyboard (though I don't have a problem with a 2019 keyboard, it's why I ordered one)
Definitely a big boon to actually be able to lap MacBooks with the vents being positioned along the bottom/sides rather than fully underneath. This is something that's set MacBooks apart from a lot of windows competition until very recently, I wouldn't like to see them go backwards on key design principles like this.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
After I used the iPad Pro in real life - I wonder whats the chance they will bring ProMotion to the next gen Macbooks? Would it use much more power?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
After I used the iPad Pro in real life - I wonder whats the chance they will bring ProMotion to the next gen Macbooks? Would it use much more power?
I wouldn't be surprised given most Windows gaming laptops now come with 120 or 144Hz panels. Having said that, it's most prevalent on gaming laptops for a reason - that's where you see most of the real benefit. Smoother scrolling is nice, but just that - a nice to have not a necessity. Other attributes like colour accuracy, brightness and resolution will come first on a productivity oriented device like a MBP. If they can source a panel that has all those right attributes, and has 120/144Hz refresh we might see it.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Definitely a big boon to actually be able to lap MacBooks with the vents being positioned along the bottom/sides rather than fully underneath. This is something that's set MacBooks apart from a lot of windows competition until very recently, I wouldn't like to see them go backwards on key design principles like this.

I couldn't agree more... I think LTT did a convection cooling video but this was for a desktop. I don't think this type of cooling is possible in a horizontal form factor.

Your idea of side and back cooling though would be cool and fairly easy to do. Not sure they should use the keyboard since, you know, my hands are right there ;)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
They could definitely use the speaker grills for cooling also. Most of the holes dont do anything and the speakers arent huge. They already vent towards the back of the top case.

jimmy43

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2008
FINALLY, back to scissor keys! https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/04/apple-to-use-scissor-switch-keyboard-macbooks/

The chance that they update the chassis in 2019 with the old butterfly keyboards and then again switch the keyboard in 2020 is really approaching 0.

This combined with the fact that there is a good chance of an H-class intel 10nm CPU in late 2020 (and likely to have engineering samples soon for the design team to work with) is pointing very strongly towards a 2020 design and cpu refresh.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
So again no 16” mbp in 2019 but in 2020,kuo changes his mind again
Where does he say that there won't be a 16" model this year? He only says that the new keyboard will come to the MBA this year and to the MBP next year, I see nothing about when we'll get a new MBP model. I interpreted his claim more in a "Guys the 16" MBP I talked about will still follow the current 2016+ design language including a butterfly keyboard, while a redesign across the MBP lineup with a new keyboard is coming next year" kind of way.

Admittedly it'd be odd to introduce a new size this late in the current design generation (which is potentially already tweaked next year), and it's always possible that he has been wrong previously and that the 16" model was pushed back to 2020; he has had a rather mixed track record lately. Then again, if the MBA already gets this new keyboard this year (like he claims in his most recent report) then this design update will also come just one year after its' previous big redesign in 2018, so it's not impossible that the same can happen to the MBP.

But his current claim neither doubles down nor denies the previous claim of a 16" MBP, which is a world of difference to him making the claims that his previous prediction is wrong; and if we take him by his word on both of his predictions then this is how I would read what he says.

Reactions: morze

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Where does he say that there won't be a 16" model this year? He only says that the new keyboard will come to the MBA this year and to the MBP next year, I see nothing about when we'll get a new MBP model. I interpreted his claim more in a "Guys the 16" MBP I talked about will still follow the current 2016+ design language including a butterfly keyboard, while a redesign across the MBP lineup with a new keyboard is coming next year" kind of way.

Admittedly it'd be odd to introduce a new size this late in the current design generation (which is potentially already tweaked next year), and it's always possible that he has been wrong previously and that the 16" model was pushed back to 2020; he has had a rather mixed track record lately. Then again, if the MBA already gets this new keyboard this year (like he claims in his most recent report) then this design update will also come just one year after its' previous big redesign in 2018, so it's not impossible that the same can happen to the MBP.

But his current claim neither doubles down nor denies the previous claim of a 16" MBP, which is a world of difference to him making the claims that his previous prediction is wrong; and if we take him by his word on both of his predictions then this is how I would read what he says.

My thoughts exactly. There's no need to report on something he's previously reported before if it still stands. Also, although the reports related, they are different topics. BUT then I thought, surely they wouldn't release the 16" with the butterfly keyboard if it's only going to be revised again next year.

I believe Kuo would have inside information to part manufacturers in Taiwan. Productions of this magnitude and complexity would shift in timeline if necessary.

EDIT: Kuo also uses key words like "We Believe" in his reports. He doesn't know for certain, but would probably have a better idea than most.

So... I'm done with the speculations. Just gonna wait and see.

Last edited:

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
But I thought that butterfly keyboards fail only 'small number of customers'?
If that is the case, why change it?

Now just get rid of that gimmicky touch bar, and I can consider MBP once again.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah everything is pointing towards a redesigned 2020 MBP with updated keyboard and 16 inch screen. I’m hoping if they release it around WWDC, it’ll come with 10 nm and be essentially brand new from the ground up.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Yeah everything is pointing towards a redesigned 2020 MBP with updated keyboard and 16 inch screen. I’m hoping if they release it around WWDC, it’ll come with 10 nm and be essentially brand new from the ground up.

Tiger lake 10nm for the 13" MBP (28W) will be available Q2 2020 onwards, however no such 10nm part is on the road map for the 15" MBP nor has been announced as far as I'm aware?

Attachments

• Intel-Client-Mobile.jpg
    Intel-Client-Mobile.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Reactions: awesomedeluxe

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Tiger lake 10nm for the 13" MBP (28W) will be available Q2 2020 onwards, however no such 10nm part is on the road map for the 15" MBP nor has been announced as far as I'm aware?
'Will' is a bit absolute for Intel's current situation, 'planned to be' is probably the better phrasing. I mean, by that timeline Ice Lake should already be in machines on the market en masse (it states halfway through Q2, we're now into Q3). Also worth pointing out, what Intel is now releasing as '10nm' isn't anything like what they were promising in 2014/15. I've read 18-20% improvement (single core), which isn't to be sniffed at, but that's over Skylake! Intel have basically said their first steps into '10nm' class chips will be more like transferring their 14nm designs onto a 12nm manufacturing process, with none of the ambitious density increase that made previous shrinks significant. It sounds more like this will be similar to Kaby Lake over Skylake - it will run cooler and that will let them up clock speeds a little bit. I'd really love to be pleasantly surprised, but I'd definitely advise keeping hopes somewhat restrained.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.