Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Hmm so no update to the scissor keyboard mechanism today. Basically points to a redesign next year with scissor mechanism. Makes sense completely redesigning the whole chassis in one go, rather than adding a new keyboard design and keeping the existing chassis.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Hmm so no update to the scissor keyboard mechanism today. Basically points to a redesign next year with scissor mechanism. Makes sense completely redesigning the whole chassis in one go, rather than adding a new keyboard design and keeping the existing chassis.
id laugh pretty hard if we saw a 16" in October with a new scissor keyboard. What where all those new model numbers then? We just got two of those?

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
id laugh pretty hard if we saw a 16" in October with a new scissor keyboard. What where all those new model numbers then? We just got two of those?

I think that the new Scissors is 2020. I think that they do need to get a 16 out there but it was probably designed last year when the assumptions were Butterfly.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
And with the 12" discontinued, why are there such a surplus of model numbers? Does this mean the 16" is coming?

I don't think the 12" is discontinued permanently, I'm thinking they wanted to clear out the old model before introducing the new redesigned 12" cellular which should take up 4 of those 7 models.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
And with the 12" discontinued, why are there such a surplus of model numbers? Does this mean the 16" is coming?
yes, the same rumour says the new ipads are in mass production this July and 16" MBP in fall
I bet the 16" will begin the new chassis with the new keyboard trend follow by the 13" MBP and the Air next year
[doublepost=1562698964][/doublepost]
I don't think the 12" is discontinued permanently, I'm thinking they wanted to clear out the old model before introducing the new redesigned 12" cellular which should take up 4 of those 7 models.
They could left it until then and discontinued perma....but i think this is dead

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The new MBAs did not use a model number (unless something is really weird) - they're just configurations of the newish Retina MacBook Air.

The new 13" MBP probably did use a model number. I initially thought it was just bringing the higher-end 13" Touch Bar chassis to the lower-end models - replacing the non-Touch Bar versions with Touch Bar equivalents (which would share the Touch Bar model number). It's not that simple, though... The new models still only have two Thunderbolt 3 ports (like the non Touch Bar models they replaced) - interpret it as adding T2, TrueTone and Touch Bar to that model, or as taking ports away from the Touch Bar model. If they call it an addition, it's almost certainly a new model number... If it's a subtraction of the two ports, it's probably a new model number. The FCC filing suggests is is a new model number.

Awaiting confirmation on both of these from EveryMac.com or similar sources.

With one new model number used up by the 13", we get...

Four for something skinny and cellular

One for the 16"

One for something else - big and incredibly skinny?

If the MBA somehow used a model as well, take away the "something else"...

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
So the news today is a bit perplexing w/ in the context of Ming's rumor around the new keyboard.
he states the new KB was coming in 2019 for the MBA and 2020 for the MBP.

i'm hoping he got it backwards and the 16 inch coming in the fall gets the new keyboard cuz that would be a perfect machine for me. I can survive on the butterfly keyboard but the lack of travel is just stupid.

- Vega (or maybe even Navi)
- 16 or even better 16.5 inch screen

Apple's screens used to be the best but if you take a look at some recent reviews like the new Dell vs MBP screen - it aint looking good.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
So the news today is a bit perplexing w/ in the context of Ming's rumor around the new keyboard.

i'm hoping he got it backwards and the 16 inch coming in the fall gets the new keyboard cuz that would be a perfect machine for me. I can survive on the butterfly keyboard but the lack of travel is just stupid.

Apple's screens used to be the best but if you take a look at some recent reviews like the new Dell vs MBP screen - it aint looking good.

I think that Apple should bow to standards and go 4K. There are lots of benefits to going the volume route.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010

I'm happy about the updates today. I think it shows that the 16" will have the new keyboard. In terms of the screen quality, my guess is if the resolution rumors are correct, that it will still be an updated screen compared to the outgoing model. Maybe they can leverage some of the tech from the new pro monitor? Also have a feeling they could be bringing promotion to the Mac. That resolution would work well with a Navi GPU for high frame rate. I wanted 4k as well, but a nice modern LCD with 144hz would be pretty amazing.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I'm happy about the updates today. I think it shows that the 16" will have the new keyboard. In terms of the screen quality, my guess is if the resolution rumors are correct, that it will still be an updated screen compared to the outgoing model. Maybe they can leverage some of the tech from the new pro monitor? Also have a feeling they could be bringing promotion to the Mac. That resolution would work well with a Navi GPU for high frame rate. I wanted 4k as well, but a nice modern LCD with 144hz would be pretty amazing.
the big issues w/ the screen is competitors like the Dell XPS 15 line have "promotion" i.e. higher refresh rates, better brightness and better resolution.
I hope you are right that we get the new keyboard w/ the 16 this year. Honestly that machine would set me for a while esp if it has faceid.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
the big issues w/ the screen is competitors like the Dell XPS 15 line have "promotion" i.e. higher refresh rates, better brightness and better resolution.
I hope you are right that we get the new keyboard w/ the 16 this year. Honestly that machine would set me for a while esp if it has faceid.

Please make Touch Bar optional! I suppose that they could charge $100 not to have the Touch Bar.

Reactions: wegster and c0ppo

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
MBA refresh dropping today doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a new MBA with new keyboard in the fall. Today's refresh was very very minor. In fact them lowering the price of the current model could be to differentiate with the more higher end model (Ice Lake 4 core, new keyboard) in the fall.

Reactions: Howard2k

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
MBA refresh dropping today doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a new MBA with new keyboard in the fall. Today's refresh was very very minor. In fact them lowering the price of the current model could be to differentiate with the more higher end model (Ice Lake 4 core, new keyboard) in the fall.

I think the reason why people are excited is due to the fact that the rumors stated that the new keyboard would come to the MacBook first, but since that was just discontinued, thats obviously not going to happen. Add that to the fact that updating the MBP chassis for the 16" just wouldn't really make sense without the new keyboard.

Edit: Nevermind I was wrong, the ming rumors were for the Air to get the new keyboard, so I guess it doesn't really change much. Just seems so bizarre that they would updated the entire computer but leave the old keyboard in there, just to replace it within a year.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think the reason why people are excited is due to the fact that the rumors stated that the new keyboard would come to the MacBook first, but since that was just discontinued, thats obviously not going to happen. Add that to the fact that updating the MBP chassis for the 16" just wouldn't really make sense without the new keyboard.

Really hoping for a complete keyboard redesign. Complete would mean no touchbar. My next alternative is the Dell Precision 7730 but that would be a lot more than the MacBook.

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Is 2020 the "major redesign" year, like it is for iPhones?

Rumors are currently that there is a 16" redesigned MBP coming out later this year (announced in september with the new iPhones). Then apparently in 2020 they will update it with the new keyboard and potentially 10nm Intel or Apple's own CPU's.

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
Kuo likely put the information of the new Air update and and keyboard together, having a belief that the Air would get the new keyboard first.

Since the 16" is rumoured to have an all new design from a few different sources. So it should accomodate the new scissor keyboard. There's still a good chance that it will be the first of the range to get the new keyboard. Kuo said 2020 for the MBP's to include the new keyboard, but hopefully he got that wrong too!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Really? Because I give that a 1% chance now. What’s your logic behind releasing a 2019 update to the air with same keyboard to then release a new air 2 months later with an updated keyboard. Common now

Blair Paulsen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
San Diego, CA USA
Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I actually do believe there's enough market for a larger laptop that offers desktop class (not workstation class) performance in the field. Part of that equation is being able to host a serious GPU and keep the whole thing cooled.
Imagine a 1.5-1.75" thick form factor just a bit larger (HxW) than the 15". Weight 4-5lbs (2kg) to support a bigger PSU and more battery volume to handle the larger draw. Dramatic casing and 4K screen to top it off. Yes, it won't be cheap.

Apathy Overdose

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2018
Really? Because I give that a 1% chance now. What’s your logic behind releasing a 2019 update to the air with same keyboard to then release a new air 2 months later with an updated keyboard. Common now

They refreshed the MBP line just over a month ago, and then again today. But those aren't stopping them from releasing another all new MBP this fall. Similarly, any potential fall MBA could be in an all new tier, the price drop of current model will only further help to differentiate between those two tiers.

Not that I'm saying it WILL happen, all I'm saying is that we shouldn't be surprised if it does. The current Ice Lake 10nm CPUs that are available aren't really suitable for any of the MBP. They'll either have to go into the MacBook or the MBA, if we're to believe MB is done for good then that only leaves them MBA to put those into.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think that Apple should bow to standards and go 4K. There are lots of benefits to going the volume route.
Even if they go 4K resolution, they use a non standard 16:10 aspect ratio (which I really don't want to see them drop for the sake of buying off the shelf) and it also looks like their current design philosophy is towards pushing the screen all the way into the corners so it's going to have to be a custom order anyway.

Not generally how Apple does it, but just maybe if they are planning on relaunching it as an ARM 'iBook' soon or something? 75% it's just gone though; I think Apple are pushing the iPad Pros into this sort of space, and will do so even more forcefully with iOS 13 on the horizon which addresses a good chunk of usability complaints with the iPad way of doing things.

Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but I actually do believe there's enough market for a larger laptop that offers desktop class (not workstation class) performance in the field. Part of that equation is being able to host a serious GPU and keep the whole thing cooled.
Imagine a 1.5-1.75" thick form factor just a bit larger (HxW) than the 15". Weight 4-5lbs (2kg) to support a bigger PSU and more battery volume to handle the larger draw. Dramatic casing and 4K screen to top it off. Yes, it won't be cheap.
They could probably fit it all in a 17" Unibody chassis, they'd have to really re-work the air flow and cooling system though as these machines were notorious for overheating and cooking their CPUs :p

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
They could probably fit it all in a 17" Unibody chassis, they'd have to really re-work the air flow and cooling system though as these machines were notorious for overheating and cooking their CPUs :p

No, it wouldn't work in the Unibody chassis unless you're talking 2008-2011. The 2013-2015 form factor is a little too thin - you wouldn't even have room for all of the parts.

My ideal hardware model for a MacBook Pro workstation is the Dell Precision 7730. Pricing is comparable to Apple for equivalent hardware. But it can take 4 SSDs and 128 GB of RAM, has cellular options, modem options, battery options, a ton of video card options (they're probably user-installable), generous ports, 4K screen, 17.3 inch display.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...rationid=e511605a-6167-4f54-b731-294f1c22ec7a

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.