Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeuSGoKiL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2016
Norlisk, Mother Russia
New 13"/14" macbook pros are slated for a H1 2020 launch. I suspect they will be launched in June, during the WWDC, like every year. I hope it's a 14" machine. I would immediately buy one.

They might refresh the macbook air in the march event.

Hopefully it will have 13 inch cassis but screen real estate of 14 inch altogether .

okayplayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Going to grab a max spec 16 inch and not upgrade for a while. Skimmed the thread but it looks like the next 16-inch upgrade would be June at the earliest, and that's considered unlikely? Laptop is used for residential CAD (Chief Architect) if that impacts the decision to wait one way or the other.

Thanks!

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Going to grab a max spec 16 inch and not upgrade for a while. Skimmed the thread but it looks like the next 16-inch upgrade would be June at the earliest, and that's considered unlikely? Laptop is used for residential CAD (Chief Architect) if that impacts the decision to wait one way or the other.

Thanks!

While the 2019 16" (max spec) IS a super compelling machine, and I myself am tempted to go that route while I impatiently await the new 2020 13"/14"....one thing to keep in mind with that 2019 16" is there ARE some minor issues with it. From what I've read here, things such as popping noises, excessively loud fan noise, ghosting/smearing on the display, etc. Nothing major rising to the level of truly defective, but perhaps things that will be tweaked/improved/fixed in the 2020 model. Especially the ghosting. Just something to consider.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Fairly sure it’s not going to be 14”.

I’d personally be happy with any outcome, as long as they don’t increase the existing 13.3” footprint. Saw the new 16” in the store the other day - it’s such an unwieldy beast.

Unwieldy compared to a 13", sure. But it's still (marginally) thinner and lighter than the 2012-15 era MacBook Pros, which many people here love and hold on to.

Then again, I'm a former 17" user and I still managed to lug that to work every day on a train and bus. That was 50% heavier than my 16", and hugely less powerful.

I'd have taken slightly bigger than 16" if it meant we could get 4K video. :(

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005

I'd have a look at one in the store and if you're happy with it, buy one now. Any 16" update this year will just be a spec bump to what is already an incredibly powerful laptop.

There's lots of people who have the 16" and don't have any issues with it.

Reactions: DanMan619

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'd have a look at one in the store and if you're happy with it, buy one now. Any 16" update this year will just be a spec bump to what is already an incredibly powerful laptop.

There's lots of people who have the 16" and don't have any issues with it.
Well there is a rumour of mini LED coming, though not until years end. I suppose it depends on how much value you put on HDR content? (and of course how desperately you need a new MBP!)

Reactions: ascender

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Kuo has now come out and said at least 1 ARM-based Mac will be out 1H of 2021...

I'm really curious which product line gets it first. My money's on an iPad or Macbook Air first and sort of working their way up the product line from their over the course of the however many years long transition period. I can't imagine them ditching Intel in say a MBP/iMac/Mac Pro overnight and it be ready for that level of performance on the first iteration of the chip.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012

anjanesh

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
Just my guess, considering that the supply chain is affected by the corona virus. Could very well be march. In the end, only the team at apple knows
I have to get a 13"/14" MBP soon. If the new MBP (13" or 14") doesn't arrive in March, then should I get the current 13" MBP with 8GB RAM ?

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
I have to get a 13"/14" MBP soon. If the new MBP (13" or 14") doesn't arrive in March, then should I get the current 13" MBP with 8GB RAM ?
I would never buy a MacBook with a butterfly keyboard. They fail all the time. If you can't wait till the next release, and you don't want to get a windows laptop, then getting the current gen is your only option.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I would never buy a MacBook with a butterfly keyboard. They fail all the time. If you can't wait till the next release, and you don't want to get a windows laptop, then getting the current gen is your only option.

I have a 2017 15" with no problem keyboard. You just need lots of air spray and use it after ever use ;)

Attachments

• How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro - Apple Support.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • Haha
Reactions: navaira

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Is anyone else concerned that coronavirus could potentially not only delay supply chain production, but also increase the likelihood of defects or other issues due to stressed labor forces?

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
and NO usable software
Why do people keep repeating that? Do you (not you personally, this is wheeled out at least weekly) believe that when Phil Schiller announces ARMacbook onstage someone will shout "but is there any usable software for it", and suddenly Phil will drop the prototype and whisper "I knew we've forgotten something"?

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Why do people keep repeating that? Do you (not you personally, this is wheeled out at least weekly) believe that when Phil Schiller announces ARMacbook onstage someone will shout "but is there any usable software for it", and suddenly Phil will drop the prototype and whisper "I knew we've forgotten something"?
Yes, precisely. Apple is known to work with the software developers to provide a full solution from day 1. I was just reading up on the PowerPC to Intel migration and it was similar: all software development tools were presented, then the hardware, then the most important software was ported in the coming years. Microsoft Office only got a universal binary in 2008 (Office 2004 was PowerPC only, 2008 Intel+PowerPC, 2011 Intel only).

Of course, the main worry will be that, while Intel was much faster than PowerPC so it could emulate the PowerPC. The worry is then that the ARM will never be able to achieve that. I think the worry is well founded. But when we look back at Rosetta, reviews read: "Rosetta that allowed all but a few PowerPC-based programs to run on Intel machines—but with a noticeable performance hit... much slower for particularly processor-intensive programs such as Photoshop." (MacWorld 2006) or "Rosetta should be more than adequate when it comes to general-purpose office apps, but for the heavy-duty stuff like Photoshop and other CPU-intensive applications, you'll notice a slowdown. Some reportedly won't launch at all, like Final Cut Pro 5 and Logic 7" (Ars Technica 2006). It will be interesting to see what sort of single core speeds the Apple ARM will reach. If the iPad Pro is any indication, it seems to be doing OK, with the obvious sidenote that, like Rosetta, Intel apps will get a speed impact.

At the same time, computers have become more complex. As one example, there's much more software capable of running on multiple cores now. So I'm looking forward how MacOS will fare in intensive multicore software. Not so worried about peripherals because Apple controls that tightly in its laptops.

Reactions: Howard2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.