Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
So there's finally some solid basis for 14" speculation to build upon! Sounds to me like it will be a late 2020 launch alongside the mini LED 16"?
God let's hope Apple doesn't wait to release updated hardware until late 2020. They need to update the smaller MacBook Pro and MacBook Air yesterday. Everything with 10th gen Intel is starting to ship.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Since the 16" replaced the 15", there is no way they'll release a 13" this spring that will disappear in the fall.

yeah exactly. Didnt the rumors say the same about the 16in? like how there was going to be a 15in and a 16in sold at the same time; with the 16in starting at $3000?

I really hope whatever the new smaller macbook pro that comes out (march, wwdc, or october) it will be the redesigned 14in.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Since the 16" replaced the 15", there is no way they'll release a 13" this spring that will disappear in the fall.

Good point - so what are you thinking then? If I recall correctly, Kuo predicted both the 13" imminently but now talking about the 14". Perhaps timeline is off a bit, and 13" will release this spring, and then the 14" redesign won't come until 2021?

I'm probably still going for the 13", as long as it has 32GB ram.

What are the advantages of mini-LED? Power efficiency?

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
The 14" news is exciting and disappointing at the same time. That means the recent 2020 13" MBP leaked in twitter is not the one that I am waiting for. Now I have to wait for another months or probably another year. Hopefully my current 2013 MBA can last until then.

swifty168

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
Sooo.. at this stage I think I should prepare my wallet for
14"
Mini-LED display
Tigerlake
32GB
late 2020
Seems like a lot of nice updates coming together by the end of this year.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I think they will release the new MacBooks no later than the Back To School sales, which is July.

Wait have they done this before?

Like just looking at a sales perspective. Students are going to buy whatever macbook pro that is available for the back to school sales and wont necessarily be waiting for a new keyboard or 14in macbook like us in this forum. Meanwhile, people in this forum are going to wait it out. Doing both a sale and a new product isnt really what Apple does. Not to mention it would significantly increase demand and increase shipping times.

Just playing devils advocate here; I would personally want this new 14in macbook pro as soon as possible (March, WWDC, BTS), but I could see Apple selling the current butterfly keyboard during the summer (BTS) and then unveiling the new 14in in October.

Correct me if im wrong though.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I mean, they did do just that with the Mid 2019 15" followed by the November 2019 16"... probably not a habit they want to get into, but a March 13" followed by an October 14" is about a 7 month gap, which has quite a lot of precedent (October 2016 to June 2017; February 2013 to October 2013; February 2011 to October 2011).

If the 13" is an update for the 15W model and the 14" succeeds the 28W model (the latter at least is likely?) then it makes sense, I'd guess the 28W model would disappear once the first update happens, and would be reintroduced as the larger model later in the year.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
My guess would be there is a 13" MBA refresh coming with new keyboard soon (and maybe some decent power) and a 14" MBP with new keyboard as well. They have been working on the new keyboard a while and you would think butterfly keyboard inventory is dwindling.

Laptop line would be
13" MBA/14" MBP/16" MBP...raise the minimum SSD/RAM and things will fly off the shelves.

Macbook is gone for good. Replaced by the iPad with trackpad and maybe a real ARM MacOS in 2021.

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Wait have they done this before?

Like just looking at a sales perspective. Students are going to buy whatever macbook pro that is available for the back to school sales and wont necessarily be waiting for a new keyboard or 14in macbook like us in this forum. Meanwhile, people in this forum are going to wait it out. Doing both a sale and a new product isnt really what Apple does. Not to mention it would significantly increase demand and increase shipping times.

Just playing devils advocate here; I would personally want this new 14in macbook pro as soon as possible (March, WWDC, BTS), but I could see Apple selling the current butterfly keyboard during the summer (BTS) and then unveiling the new 14in in October.

Correct me if im wrong though.

I think you're totally right. Mac products, more often than not, are announced/released early or late in the year. They don't usually come out in the Summer unless it's just a silent refresh or something like when the 2019 Mac Pro was announced in the summer and then released in December. If Apple is dropping Mini-LED on everything though, they'll likely want to talk about it at their spring and/or fall events i would think. Summer is usually the announcements for WatchOS, tvOS iOS, iPadOS, MacOS and other developer/software related stuff.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The timelines are all a bit confusing though... I do wonder if mini LED will be end of this year or even H1 2021?

Meaning we'll still see a revised smaller MBP in H1 this year with the scissor keys and hopefully a 14" screen?

Then the whole lineup transitions to mini LED next year?

Otherwise it all gets a bit messy, just after they've got some consistency to their lineup.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
The timelines are all a bit confusing though... I do wonder if mini LED will be end of this year or even H1 2021?

Meaning we'll still see a revised smaller MBP in H1 this year with the scissor keys and hopefully a 14" screen?

Then the whole lineup transitions to mini LED next year?

Otherwise it all gets a bit messy, just after they've got some consistency to their lineup.

How does it affect consistency? Its literally the same lineup, but with MiniLED screens.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
How does it affect consistency? Its literally the same lineup, but with MiniLED screens.

Because today, there's the 16" MBP which has the new keyboard. Presumably Apple will want to get that keyboard in to at least the 13" MBP ASAP, if not the Air as well.

If Mini-LED isn't going to be ready until the end of the year, they're not going to hold off updating the other laptops just to wait for that? There's presumably going to be a 16" spec bump this year too.

End result is everything is on Mini-LED, but its how they get there I'm wondering about.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
If Mini-LED isn't going to be ready until the end of the year, they're not going to hold off updating the other laptops just to wait for that?

Oh, I understood you the wrong way around. I though you meant 2021 is more likely because of an otherwise inconsistent lineup, but you actually meant that a 2021 release would leave us behind with an inconsistent 2020 lineup.

I agree on that matter, I’m still hoping for a 2020 release though. Would fit into their 4 year cycle, seems about right. Don’t know whether I can hold it out until next year... we Most likely should know more at WWDC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.