Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Yes yes yes! MacBook Pro 13/14” refresh please!! Although, an iPad Pro with trackpad keyboard would be super compelling, and it will be absolutely brutal on my wallet to try to buy both at the same time!

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
this is not meaning that we have an event...but maybe Apple giving to some people, like they did in the past..some units for testing/reviews
So, yes, probably its happening
The best or nothing is coming

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I still think the 13" will get updated in the first half of this year, with a scissor keyboard and possibly a larger screen. If they do that, then chances are it will be a similar launch to the 16" where they just do it by invite to a bunch of journos, podcasters and youtubers.

There's not been any noise about an imminent launch though - in the week or two leading up to the 16" release, there was a steady trickle of rumours from the new icon in macOS to various things on twitter.

Reactions: Falhófnir

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
the 13" will be only as an Macbook Air i think...of course with the new 15W chip and the new keyboard

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
the 13" will be only as an Macbook Air i think...of course with the new 15W chip and the new keyboard
Not sure they would go back to a 15W chip on the Air now, aren't they all quad-core in the U series now? That would get us back to the 2015 situation where the Air is treading on the MBP's toes in performance terms, and I think they ultimately aim to get the Air back to a $999 starting price.

I could see them updating the 15W MacBook Pro in the near future, with a bigger update to the 28W model (14" redesign) alongside the other mini LED releases later in the year?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Not sure they would go back to a 15W chip on the Air now, aren't they all quad-core in the U series now
Yes, Macbook air uses the 7W Amber lake cpu....so, lets hope for the next macbook air to use the 15W cpu

Last edited:

svepo

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
Germany
I don't think Apple will make a presentation in light of the Corona virus. Instead, there will be a release of the MacBook Pro 14" via the Apple website.

I think there would simply be too much negative press if the event had to be cancelled.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Sorry? What have I missed? Why does Rene Ritchie's visit to an Apple store mean that a MacBook Pro refresh is imminent?

You've not missed anything ?

The guess is that if a revised 13" MBP is to launch, they'll do it in the same way as they did with the 16", where they invited people to a briefing and to pickup review units before announcing it via the press a few days later.

But so far there's been no rumours to suggest this is happening.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
AMD announced their timeline for Zen 4 on Friday. It does not look like it will be out until 2022.

I think this is the final nail in the coffin for an AMD Macbook. Zen 4 has the power management features AMD needs to catch up with Intel on mobile, not to mention support for PCIe and DDR 5 that could have given AMD clear advantages against team blue.

I just want to live in a world where I can buy a machine that is more than an evolutionary upgrade over Skylake '15. Here's hoping Apple releases a Macbook SoC next year with PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 support ?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Argh ? The report on our last 13" MBP is back and its not good, its beyond economical repair. So what now? 16" is too big for this one which goes everywhere with a couple of us and we're not willing to drop money on a replacement with the butterfly keyboard.

There's still no real signs (longer lead-times for current model or posts on twitter from the usual suspects) that a replacement is coming anytime soon, but its really annoying Apple have let things go this far. Honestly, if anybody is in the market for MBP, whatever you do, don't use a 16" machine as it will put you off the butterfly keyboard once and for all!

And that's coming from someone who likes the butterfly mechanism more than most people.

awesomedeluxe

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Argh ? The report on our last 13" MBP is back and its not good, its beyond economical repair. So what now? 16" is too big for this one which goes everywhere with a couple of us and we're not willing to drop money on a replacement with the butterfly keyboard.

There's still no real signs (longer lead-times for current model or posts on twitter from the usual suspects) that a replacement is coming anytime soon, but its really annoying Apple have let things go this far. Honestly, if anybody is in the market for MBP, whatever you do, don't use a 16" machine as it will put you off the butterfly keyboard once and for all!

And that's coming from someone who likes the butterfly mechanism more than most people.

Confused. The 16” dropped the butterfly keyboard and uses scissor switches.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Is there any precedent for Apple releasing 2 updates in a year for a given model? For example, a 13" MBP in the Spring, but then a 14" MBP in the Fall/Winter?

The Mini-LED speculation along with the 14" is throwing me off. Will this be released in the Spring/Summer still, or are we going to be stuck waiting until Fall/Winter?

I just can't see Apple releasing both an updated 13" AND a 14" in the same year.

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
right..do they fix the keyboard now and release that?
or with the smaller bezels too?
or also with the new screen? and instead just one release? when?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Is there any precedent for Apple releasing 2 updates in a year for a given model? For example, a 13" MBP in the Spring, but then a 14" MBP in the Fall/Winter?

The Mini-LED speculation along with the 14" is throwing me off. Will this be released in the Spring/Summer still, or are we going to be stuck waiting until Fall/Winter?

I just can't see Apple releasing both an updated 13" AND a 14" in the same year.

Apple wouldn't release a product (or not) while relying on precedent. Precedent or not, it would not matter. Apple would release it if it was the right decision, or not release it if it was not the right decision.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
ore than an evolutionary upgrade over Skylake '15. Here's hoping Apple releases a Macbook SoC next year with PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 support ?
I am looking towards the year 2025 where PCIe 6.0 with x1 ~8GB/s, x2 ~16GB/s & x4 ~32GB/s becomes a reality.

Last edited:

livetofail

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2017
Germany
I decided to order a 16” after all. I was really hoping for a new 13” but after long consideration, I’ve realized that the new 13” will never be what I really want. It wont get (due to the size) better cooling or a dedicated gpu, or even 16GB RAM to start with.
So I ordered now the 16” with the I7, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and the Radeon 5500, “just” for 2400 euros.

_Skyfire_

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
I decided to order a 16” after all. I was really hoping for a new 13” but after long consideration, I’ve realized that the new 13” will never be what I really want. It wont get (due to the size) better cooling or a dedicated gpu, or even 16GB RAM to start with.
So I ordered now the 16” with the I7, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and the Radeon 5500, “just” for 2400 euros.
EU here as well. Where can you order those specs for 2400 euros?

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
I keep building a 16" on the Apple website:

2.4gHz
64GB RAM
Radeon 5500M with 8GB VRAM
1 TB SSD

it comes close to $4k and then I wonder if I should just spend the extra cash and get a Mac Pro that I can upgrade in the future

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I keep building a 16" on the Apple website:

2.4gHz
64GB RAM
Radeon 5500M with 8GB VRAM
1 TB SSD

it comes close to $4k and then I wonder if I should just spend the extra cash and get a Mac Pro that I can upgrade in the future

If you get that configuration, plus an extra $300 or so for tax, you're looking at it being about $4300k (i'm using California tax for this). You could shave $200 off of your listed configuration (and thus lessen the tax a little) if you do the 2.3GHz CPU instead and with tax come out to just about right at $4k instead of $350 or so over. The 0.3GHz difference isn't going to be any drastic performance increase. Also, be aware that if you spend the extra $1200ish not including tax to go with a base Mac Pro, your RAM options top out at 768GB, you have to get the 24 or 28 core Mac Pro to be able to put in 1.5TB of RAM. And then you still have to buy all your upgrades on your own (though you get to spread that out over time). Most reviewers i've seen say the 12 or 16 core is the sweet spot unless you need it maxed out for high end work. Though it sounds like if you were considering a MBP initially, a base Mac Pro is probably going to be way more than you need anyway. I guess it just depends on what you think will be best for your needs and for your wallet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChromeCrescendo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.