Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Haven't seen anyone mentioning this, these numbers seem kind of out of the blue:

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Thanks for the link Peter. I had actually already read Gassee's notes on the Ampere chip. There was also a nice benchmark in AnandTech of the new Amazon Graviton (ARM) processor https://www.anandtech.com/show/15578/cloud-clash-amazon-graviton2-arm-against-intel-and-amd

I don't think it's because of the "low power profile of ARM". While they are low power chips, that doesn't make them less powerful. They just use less power to provide the same processing power. To give you an impression: here's a former head of Mac development's opinion on an ARM based Mac Pro (based on a 210W TDP ARM, comparable to a 400W Xeon in processing power).

Maybe I did not express this well but it seems to me that we have kind of performance parity at the high end between ARM and Intel with possible less power use for the ARM.

But at the lower end in a 7W fan-less design (MacBook) I guess Apple could provide a clear performance advantage.

I do agree with you that lack of Applications is probable less of an issue for a device like the MacBook or the Air.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
When is Q2? April - June?
Yeah, Kuo tends to give timings by calendar quarters, not Apple's awkward financial quarters.
[automerge]1584091023[/automerge]
Haven't seen anyone mentioning this, these numbers seem kind of out of the blue:

They're meant to be up to 10 cores, so presumably i9s are 10 core, and the i7 is bumped from 6 to 8, accounting for the 40% performance jump (taking it closer to the existing 8 core i9).

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Almost feeling this "buyer's remorse" after news about redesign in 2021. Not that it came unexpected, but I've been holding on till this 14.1 Mini-LED for several years and already prepared to buy the thing. For sure, there's always something new and exciting around the corner, but I feel like Apple learned a lot after 2016's edition, so next year we can expect more "pro-oriented" model.

Last edited:

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
Almost feeling this "buyer's remorse" after news about redesign in 2021. Not that it came unexpected, but I've been holding on till this 14.1 Mini-LED for several years and already prepared to buy the thing. For sure, there's always something new and exciting around the corner, but I feel like Apple learned a lot after 2016's edition, so next year we can expect more "pro-oriented" model.

I would never buy the first version of a redesign. I'm also waiting for the 14.1, which will probably be the perfect version of the old design.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
My guess is that Phil Schiller’s comments today about WWDC point very strongly to a June announcement for the new 13/14” MBP. I wish it were earlier as I could really use one for an April trip, but I’ll probably wait to see what is announced.

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
My guess is that Phil Schiller’s comments today about WWDC point very strongly to a June announcement for the new 13/14” MBP. I wish it were earlier as I could really use one for an April trip, but I’ll probably wait to see what is announced.

No more trips anyways with everything going on :D

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005

As does the promotional image.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
My bet is a silent update like they did with the 16 inch---website followed by briefings. I had the 2016 Era 15 inch and now have the 16 inch---they look nearly identical. Why hype it with an announcement at a show?

Reactions: DanMan619

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
My bet is a silent update like they did with the 16 inch---website followed by briefings. I had the 2016 Era 15 inch and now have the 16 inch---they look nearly identical. Why hype it with an announcement at a show?

I would have thought so, but today's comments about all the products to be introduced at WWDC makes me think they are saving this until then. Hope you're right, though, as I very much want it sooner.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I would prefer some sort of 13 or 14 inch MBP but once you load it up with 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD, the price is the same as a 16 inch machine.

Reactions: ascender

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I would have thought so, but today's comments about all the products to be introduced at WWDC makes me think they are saving this until then. Hope you're right, though, as I very much want it sooner.
I think the WWDC products are going to be super special things we've never seen before worthy of a keynote spot. What is essentially a new keyboard and slightly larger screen....nah. We'll get a web site refresh.

Reactions: DanMan619

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So notably now the home delivery dates for the MacBook Air and base ($1,299/15W) MacBook Pro have slipped back to the 24th-26th of the month, while the higher tier model is still ok for delivery on Monday 16th - this makes me more certain we are looking at an imminent refresh of the Air and base model MacBook Pro, while the higher tier MBP ($1,799/28W) will be left alone (or even discontinued) until it is replaced by a new 14" model. Additionally John Lewis (large UK department store) has also more or less run out of Air and base Pro models, but still has plenty of the higher tier models in stock. Obviously in store pick up is not available for any model at the moment.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

Salomonander

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2020
Here in germany the base model 16 is pretty much sold out as well.but i think this is due to corona. supply chains are not working properly...

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Here in germany the base model 16 is pretty much sold out as well.but i think this is due to corona. supply chains are not working properly...
I guess it could always be that, certainly the Air and base Pro are the models you'd expect to sell out first if restocking is an issue and there's a sales peak from people wanting to work from home. Still it seems a little coincidental when we also get this exact rumour pop up as well:

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
My bet is a website refresh for MBP 14.1” in April, similar to what they did to MBP 16”. There is no way to announce 14.1” at WWDC, it is not something superior than 16”. WWDC is a place to announce ARM MBP.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I haven’t been following macs in general for awhile so I don’t know much about refresh timelines or rumors.

I’m in the market for a new MBP. Want one now but can also wait a few months if it means updated internals.

Is there likely to be a small refresh for the 16” later this year? If so, I think I’ll wait.

Ty!

Alexander_im

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
It's interesting that last major screen changes coincide with "all-new" design whereas it seems now we can get 14.1 Mini-LED with a 2016 design

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020

At gravis, all base models are still listed as in stock and even on Apple's website they ship within the next 7 days. I wouldn't call that "sold out".

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I would prefer some sort of 13 or 14 inch MBP but once you load it up with 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD, the price is the same as a 16 inch machine.

That's always been on of the conundrums about those two models - you also get other benefits with the 16" machine like the screen, better speakers, power, discrete GPU etc.

The downside being the larger footprint.

With the 2020 model, doubling the storage in the base one would be a good start.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
At gravis, all base models are still listed as in stock and even on Apple's website they ship within the next 7 days. I wouldn't call that "sold out".
With Apple's website they just push the shipping date back past the launch date of the new model so anyone who orders a current model can cancel the order and re-order the new one before it's even shipped. Saves a heap on shipping fees and in getting already opened mac stock back. So this is perfectly consistent with a new model launching this week.
[automerge]1584347228[/automerge]
That's always been on of the conundrums about those two models - you also get other benefits with the 16" machine like the screen, better speakers, power, discrete GPU etc.

The downside being the larger footprint.

With the 2020 model, doubling the storage in the base one would be a good start.
Hopefully this will be the end of 128GB models, a $1,099 256GB Air is much preferable to a $999 128GB...

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
With todays announcement fro the power-beats...i think, we can expect press releases for more products for the entire week
maybe the 14" Mbp or a new cpu+keyboard for the macbook air 13"

Reactions: Dave245
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.