Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think people are sure that Apple won't let the 13" MacBook Pro be the only one with the old keyboard for long. And they won't release an updated 13" now and then make it disappear when the 14" arrives later this year. And with the new MacBook Air out today, the old 13" really isn't worth its price anymore.
There are two 13" Pro models. One uses Intel's 15W U series chips, has one fan and two Thunderbolt 3 ports, the other uses 28W U series chips, has two fans and four Thunderbolt 3 ports. The former, like the MacBook Air was until today, is showing as shipping on the 28th of this month, the latter is available immediately - I think they will be updating the 15W model, maybe tomorrow, and either discontinuing the 28W model until it's re-introduced later in the year as a 14" mini LED version, or just leaving it on sale as the oddball model like the 2012 cMBP and 2015/17 MBA were.

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
It just doesn’t make sense for them to release updated MBP 13” now. The next MBP should be 14.1” following the 16” screen upgrade last year.
Unfortunately the leak on twitter few weeks ago was hinting for a 13”.

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
There are two 13" Pro models. One uses Intel's 15W U series chips, has one fan and two Thunderbolt 3 ports, the other uses 28W U series chips, has two fans and four Thunderbolt 3 ports. The former, like the MacBook Air was until today, is showing as shipping on the 28th of this month, the latter is available immediately - I think they will be updating the 15W model, maybe tomorrow, and either discontinuing the 28W model until it's re-introduced later in the year as a 14" mini LED version, or just leaving it on sale as the oddball model like the 2012 cMBP and 2015/17 MBA were.

This is insane from a product perspective but I'd give it a 75% chance of happening. Two 13" MBP's with different keyboards, same shell, same display, different generation chips.

Reactions: Falhófnir

TedJustAdmitit

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2010
So I actually want the 16", but I seriously can't tell if it's a bad time. It's new, yet can I wait til June or July and how game changing is the 16" gonna change this year?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
This is insane from a product perspective but I'd give it a 75% chance of happening. Two 13" MBP's with different keyboards, same shell, same display, different generation chips.
And don't forget of course the one with the worse keyboard and older chipset is more expensive :p

I've always thought it was a weird/ wasteful setup anyway, particularly after the lower end model got the Touch Bar and quad core CPUs making it all but equal for about $300 less. I suppose at least splitting them by screen size will introduce some reason for both to continue to exist. The 14" can get the chunkier speakers like the 16", higher RAM options (16/32/64 vs 8/16), maybe the insane storage tiers (4,6,8 TB?) and of course mini LED when it's ready.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Is it just me, or is there a price drop on the 16" Macbook Pro on Apple's website?

Edit: Nevermine please ignore. I'm unable to delete this post.

Last edited:

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Alright I just dove in on the iPad Pro 12.9" 1TB Wifi+Cellular. My post yesterday, before this new iPad Pro was announced, was something to the effect of I am leaning toward an iPad instead of new MBP with each passing day....
Now I swear...if Apple releases a MBP TOMORROW, then that sure will confuse things all the more!

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Alright I just dove in on the iPad Pro 12.9" 1TB Wifi+Cellular. My post yesterday, before this new iPad Pro was announced, was something to the effect of I am leaning toward an iPad instead of new MBP with each passing day....
Now I swear...if Apple releases a MBP TOMORROW, then that sure will confuse things all the more!
i still dont think the ipad can replace a macbook if you do anything more than basic office tasks. sure you CAN do video editing on it...but what serious video editor is gonna do that.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I was thinking if they were going to announce this week, why didn't they do it yesterday along with the Air and iPad? Or they may give it a day and announce Friday??
Staggering releases so they don't overwhelm people with new options, as they did this time last year. Today I could see MBP 13" and AirTags dropping.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The Air kind of makes the current base MBP a bit pointless - you can spec it up to a very nice level, cheaper than the Pro and you don't have to take the Touch Bar.

I'm guessing the new 14" Pro will be here very soon with the scissor keyboard and possibly doing away with that two-port model. If they make it larger and heavier like the 16", the Air serves the needs of those who want something reasonably powerful but lighter.

No way they're going to leave the 13" out there with the crappy keyboard, I'm saying new 14s announced today!

Reactions: oghowie

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
The Air kind of makes the current base MBP a bit pointless - you can spec it up to a very nice level, cheaper than the Pro and you don't have to take the Touch Bar.

I'm guessing the new 14" Pro will be here very soon with the scissor keyboard and possibly doing away with that two-port model. If they make it larger and heavier like the 16", the Air serves the needs of those who want something reasonably powerful but lighter.

No way they're going to leave the 13" out there with the crappy keyboard, I'm saying new 14s announced today!

that would be the logical assumption, and I hope you are right, but they've done crazy things before and no doubt will do so again!

AKS3003

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
I don't think there's a 14" MBP coming before WWDC. There have simply been no leaks whatsoever. Also, if they want to do releases for this full week, or had more items to release, then they wouldn't have released the iPad pro and MB Air on the same day

tsukeyomi

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I don't think there's a 14" MBP coming before WWDC. There have simply been no leaks whatsoever. Also, if they want to do releases for this full week, or had more items to release, then they wouldn't have released the iPad pro and MB Air on the same day
I hope you're wrong. We need a new 13" or, even better, 14" today! Hopefully Apple will drop a bomb on us peasants

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK

sadly this does seem a sensible view

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I hope you are right!
I'm reasonably sure about the 13" Pro as it's shipping dates mirror the Air and iPad pros just before they were released yesterday, whereas the more expensive 13" and 16" Pros continue to be available immediately. Air Tags are of course a completely wild card, but now is as good a time as any to release them, unless they really want to talk about them on stage rather than in a demo video?

So if something is coming today,it will be in 3 hours
The Air/ iPad and the new Beats earphones were all at around 5am PDT, so a little over an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.