Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’m hoping the 14 inch with Mini LED will be released before September. Hoping the 4 TB version gets 16GB RAM as standard with a 512GB SSD

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
After the Air release, they will probably kill the entry level one with two ports.
I was thinking about that too. Maybe just keeping the 4 port at the current price with better specs or possibly a £100 price drop. There doesn’t seem to be much of a base clock speed difference between Ice Lake Y and U series and because of the way Apple markets processors it would look like the pro and air are equally specced. So I think it’ll get dropped

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
They should just kill the 13" MBP since it's made redundant by the new MBA. I'm not sure a 14" touch-bar Ice Lake U (4 cores, 28W, 4 TB3) with no dGPU would be that compelling of a machine.

Just keep 2 models for simplicity: MBA (13" thin and light, quad-core, iGPU) vs. MBP (16" desktop replacement, 6-cores+, dGPU)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Cpu and gpu are comparable, but display is inferior. I already said that it is not by a huge margin, but for color corrections and better contrast I appreciate additional nits and you can see additional colors which comes from dci p3 standard.

this is the main worry I have about going to MBA. but I don't want a touchbar MBP, nor to pay MBP prices. I hope I win the panel lottery, but also, my current laptop has a REALLY good screen.

Maybe ill just keep my NTB 2016 when my MBA 2020 comes, assuming I like it.

I really don't hate the keyboard on this laptop... it is just fatiguing for longer than short typing sessions I would imagine vs more travel

but I think I would miss this laptop too, or maybe I don't need a MBA 2020 at all and should wait...

but I think I want a new laptop with the keyboard, and to not pay astronomical $ for it or pay more to be 'forced to deal' with the MBP touchbar

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
They should just kill the 13" MBP since it's made redundant by the new MBA. I'm not sure a 14" touch-bar Ice Lake U (4 cores, 28W, 4 TB3) with no dGPU would be that compelling of a machine.

Just keep 2 models for simplicity: MBA (13" thin and light, quad-core, iGPU) vs. MBP (16" desktop replacement, 6-cores+, dGPU)
how about NO? I want more power than MBA but 16" is too big to travel with. 13MBP was sweet spot!

Reactions: PeterJP

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK

Trouble is the current 13" MBP out performs the new MBA in certain tasks from the initial batch of reviews....so it doesn't need killing it needs updating IMHO

Reactions: PeterJP

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Trouble is the current 13" MBP out performs the new MBA in certain tasks from the initial batch of reviews....so it doesn't need killing it needs updating IMHO
It needs price update for garbage ssd sizes and it needs new keyboard though

also apparently MBA throttles like crazy so it's useless

Reactions: AAPLGeek

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
Yup agree mbp needs updating asap, trouble is when has logic ever dictated apple release schedules!!
Do you think we will have to wait till june or a march release is coming? I’m don’t know how Apple releases are scheduled before. I really need one right now but base model having 128gb ssd is a dealbreaker for me. I’ll be upgrading both the ram and storage which costs too much.

Mac133

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Some of the macbooks were released in may too, I think we should see updated mbp 13-14 in the next two months except if this pandemic thing doesnt worsen

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Do you think we will have to wait till june or a march release is coming? I’m don’t know how Apple releases are scheduled before. I really need one right now but base model having 128gb ssd is a dealbreaker for me. I’ll be upgrading both the ram and storage which costs too much.
I’m hoping for March, people have said there hasn’t been many leaks but there was only 1 for the air. I’m just hoping they bump the screen to 14.1” and bump the specs

Reactions: Mac133

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I hope they manage to squeeze a 6-core into a 14”
The problem with that chip (i7-10710U) would be it only has UHD graphics, so Apple would have to also squeeze in a dGPU, which even if doable would mean having a different internal design for the i7. Maybe Tiger Lake could change this for next year, but at the moment seems unlikely to happen.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
The problem with that chip (i7-10710U) would be it only has UHD graphics, so Apple would have to also squeeze in a dGPU, which even if doable would mean having a different internal design for the i7. Maybe Tiger Lake could change this for next year, but at the moment seems unlikely to happen.
Yeah it seems unlikely, I’m unsure what they would put in the base model pro if they refreshed it because of the base clock speeds when compared to the new Y series air are the same, with apples marketing it would look like you were paying more for just a touch bar

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK

Honestly nobody knows! The rumours say this year!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah it seems unlikely, I’m unsure what they would put in the base model pro if they refreshed it because of the base clock speeds when compared to the new Y series air are the same, with apples marketing it would look like you were paying more for just a touch bar
Yeah there isn't a lot of choice with available Ice lake parts. Look like it would have to be the i5-1035G7 and i7-1065G7, which are both 15W parts, but they could probably run them TDP up at 25W like they're doing with the i5 and i7 in the MacBook Air. At 25W the base frequency is a little higher at 1.5Ghz, which is in line with the 1.4GHz on the current 15W Pro.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Yeah there isn't a lot of choice with available Ice lake parts. Look like it would have to be the i5-1035G7 and i7-1065G7, which are both 15W parts, but they could probably run them TDP up at 25W like they're doing with the i5 and i7 in the MacBook Air. At 25W the base frequency is a little higher at 1.5Ghz, which is in line with the 1.4GHz on the current 15W Pro.
Good point I forgot about that. That would be an option for keeping the base model pro either way I hope both models get updated with the bigger screen soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.