Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I'm wondering what Apple can offer in a 14" -- other than extra screen real estate -- around the $1500 mark that is compelling enough to beat out the i5/16gb/512gb quad core no touchbar MBA. I'm feeling quite compelled to sell my mid-2019 MBP and pick up the above machine.

Reactions: ascender

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I'm wondering what Apple can offer in a 14" -- other than extra screen real estate -- around the $1500 mark that is compelling enough to beat out the i5/16gb/512gb quad core no touchbar MBA. I'm feeling quite compelled to sell my mid-2019 MBP and pick up the above machine.
I think you’ll probably be able to get a U series i5 and one of either 16GB or 512gb for £1500. I’m holding out for at £1700 or £1800 higher end 14” model with 16GB and 512gb

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
In addition to squeezing more power - especially more sustained power - out of similar Ice Lake chips with better cooling, it will probably get better speakers like the 16", the display will have the P3 colour gamut (and high dynamic range if it launches with mini LED later in the year), options for 32, and maybe 64 GB RAM, and higher 4,6,8 TB storage tiers. Some of this will of course be priced out of consumer level, but I think it's going to be aimed at highly mobile professionals for who it's just a business expense. For general consumers they seemed to have doubled down on the Air as the model of choice.

Reactions: PeterJP

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
i5 MBA is garbage though, thermally

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Yeah exactly. Anyone that is seriously considering the MBP and will use it to its potential (use any sustained programs such as video editing, photo editing, programming) will stick to the 13in (28w) and 16in. The $100 quad core upgrade wont help much in long term sustained workloads.

This video explains the new Air and its limitations (and benefits). TLDR: Limited TDP processor and small fan which means performance is similar to a passively cooled machine such as the 12in. Check out what he says from 4:40 to 5:50.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007

Do we know this for a fact? If these advance reviewers are ramping up machine testing right out of the box, of course it's going to be sub-optimal. Brand new machines always run hotter. I'd like to see if thermal issues persist after a week or two of use.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Do we know this for a fact? If these advance reviewers are ramping up machine testing right out of the box, of course it's going to be sub-optimal. Brand new machines always run hotter. I'd like to see if thermal issues persist after a week or two of use.
Not sure about the "brand new machines always run hotter". Might be true or not (I do understand there can be some background activities that the macbook is doing after you set it up). Still wont change the fact that there is a small TDP processor and a small fan that does not do much in terms of cooling.

Reactions: Enerccio

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
I went through 3 - 2018 MBA's until I gave up and got the mid 2019 13" MBP. Now it will get passed down to the husband and I get a new one again. My dilemma: I really need 512 GB and that in the Pro may be more than I want to spend. But the one thing I disliked about the 2018 Air's was the dull display... Retina or not brightness had to be turned up all the way and my eyes still didn't like it. I understand that OS updates bumped up the nits on that machine to 400. And the new Air's are still at 400 nits. So I wonder if that's enough for me given I'm used to the Pro display. Anyone have any information on the brightness comparison?

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2015
Surely nobody would ever buy the current low end 13" Macbook Pro with the new Air available?
I’ll likely buy it as soon as the rumored 14” comes out and the price drops. I’ve always preferred the butterfly switch so I’ll want to hang onto the last model with it.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I’ll likely buy it as soon as the rumored 14” comes out and the price drops. I’ve always preferred the butterfly switch so I’ll want to hang onto the last model with it.
Yeah apparently the current 2019 model with the revised butterfly keyboard is pretty solid (dont see much reports of it having issues on forums for the past year). I really like my 2017 keyboard even though the spacebar tends to stick once a week for a few minutes (3rd repair). Coming from a 2013 MBP to the 2017, my typing speed actually increased significantly using the butterfly keyboard.

The only problem I can see is that the 2019s will lose a lot of value once the new scissor switch MBP 13 comes out. But I guess in your case, that is a benefit.

Reactions: Aftermath747

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
I guess its all down to price/performance and if/when they announce the 13" MBP update!!
Agreed. I hope they will upgrade the base model storage and keep the price same. I’m expecting base model to have 16gb ram. This way, even base model will offer ”pro” performance.

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
The new Air in the config you mentioned is really tempting. How many people really need the extra power of a MacBook Pro?

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I was contemplating to get the Air to replace my current MBP 2013 13", but since it doesn't appear to stay cold, even for simple tasks, I will wait for the 13/14" MBP to be released. Hopefully, COVID-19 doesn't force Apple to postpone the release.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
The new Air in the config you mentioned is really tempting. How many people really need the extra power of a MacBook Pro?
It's an evolving discussion. When the MBA was originally launched, it was laughed away like the 12” MB was. Barely usable for office work, melted when you tried anything serious. The famous 13” MBA generation from around 2013 was much better and catered for most consumers and light office use. But when you were a serious user, it was MBP all the way.

At this point in time, we seem to have come to the point where most users can comfortably buy the new MBP and not be disappointed. The MBP therefore finally seems to be becoming a niche pro product. So when you need to do sustained work where cooling helps, or you want higher specs (more than 16GB RAM, more than 2tb storage...) you should get the pro. Otherwise the Air is a better value proposition.

I don't think Apple will add a dGPU to the 14” but I do think it could make sense, particularly in the higher models, to help its positioning as a pro machine.

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
It's an evolving discussion. When the MBA was originally launched, it was laughed away like the 12” MB was. Barely usable for office work, melted when you tried anything serious. The famous 13” MBA generation from around 2013 was much better and catered for most consumers and light office use. But when you were a serious user, it was MBP all the way.

At this point in time, we seem to have come to the point where most users can comfortably buy the new MBP and not be disappointed. The MBP therefore finally seems to be becoming a niche pro product. So when you need to do sustained work where cooling helps, or you want higher specs (more than 16GB RAM, more than 2tb storage...) you should get the pro. Otherwise the Air is a better value proposition.

I don't think Apple will add a dGPU to the 14” but I do think it could make sense, particularly in the higher models, to help its positioning as a pro machine.
I agree re: dGPU in the smaller Pro. Apparently, the 10th Gen Intel integrated graphics are pretty powerful.

I use a 16 inch only because I want the largest screen possible and need to hook to 4 and 5K monitors, or else I would buy an Air, for sure.

As it stands, I used a 2018 Air for a few days hooked up to two 4K monitors and the. fan. never. stopped. It was awful.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Yes, we knowthat for a fact. Intel CPUs under load use way more power than they claim, hence the PL2 spec.

9980HK core I9 has 200W PL2 state. Clearly higher than the "rumored" 45W TDP.

The same goes for Core i5 MBA. Its quad core CPU(!) and people expect it to run cool?

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Yes, we knowthat for a fact. Intel CPUs under load use way more power than they claim, hence the PL2 spec.

9980HK core I9 has 200W PL2 state. Clearly higher than the "rumored" 45W TDP.

The same goes for Core i5 MBA. Its quad core CPU(!) and people expect it to run cool?
None of these people complaining about thermals are considering Spotlight indexing or any of the other things that come with setting up a new Mac, especially if there is a lot of stuff migrating over.

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
None of these people complaining about thermals are considering Spotlight indexing or any of the other things that come with setting up a new Mac, especially if there is a lot of stuff migrating over.
Come on. Sure, it might use some processing power but with benchmark you get 100% along with all background tasks. So thermal wise it doesn't matter, the issue is that at 100% of every core MBA runs at 100C which is a) stupid and b) ridiculous. AND fan is at 40%. If you crack fan at 100% you get no better cooling either which is incredible! Even with 100% CPU should run at 90C, throttled a bit but not at 100C...

Reactions: Howard2k

FrankCataldi14

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Come on. Sure, it might use some processing power but with benchmark you get 100% along with all background tasks. So thermal wise it doesn't matter, the issue is that at 100% of every core MBA runs at 100C which is a) stupid and b) ridiculous. AND fan is at 40%. If you crack fan at 100% you get no better cooling either which is incredible! Even with 100% CPU should run at 90C, throttled a bit but not at 100C...
Maybe you're right, but I'd wait for people who do actual reviews as opposed to benchmarks within an hour of setting up the machine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
So thermal wise it doesn't matter, the issue is that at 100% of every core MBA runs at 100C which is a) stupid and b) ridiculous
<snip>
Even with 100% CPU should run at 90C, throttled a bit but not at 100C...

100degC is the TJunction of the chip in question: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1030g7-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

You say above you're ok with it running ("throttled a bit") at 90C but at 100C it's 'stupid' and 'ridiculous'...? What are you basing this difference on? Is 90C just a number you prefer the look of? The chip throttles at 100C because it's designed to. You're throwing out figures about an issue you seem to have little understanding of.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunfast

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 6 cores runs cool, and is silent as well. It's lighter then MBA. For that kind of money, it better be.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Agreed. I hope they will upgrade the base model storage and keep the price same. I’m expecting base model to have 16gb ram. This way, even base model will offer ”pro” performance.
As much as that would be great I don’t see them bumping the storage and the ram. Probably just the storage and leaving the ram for the higher end model but we can hope. Ideally for me if the £1799 model could have 512gb and 16GB I’d be delighted

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
As much as that would be great I don’t see them bumping the storage and the ram. Probably just the storage and leaving the ram for the higher end model but we can hope. Ideally for me if the £1799 model could have 512gb and 16GB I’d be delighted
I'm not even sure they will continue with 2 models now, makes more sense to merge them, raise the price of entry slightly as they're no longer trying to appeal to MBA buyers (which was the $1,299 model's original purpose as Phil Schiller said on stage) and just go with that.

Base tier 14": 8GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,499
Middle tier 14": 16GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,699
Higher tier 14": 16GB RAM, i7 CPU (28W), 1TB storage - $2,099

Then BTO options going up to 64GB RAM, 8TB storage for crazy money. All models have the 16" style touch bar, improved speakers and 4 TB3 ports.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I'm not even sure they will continue with 2 models now, makes more sense to merge them, raise the price of entry slightly as they're no longer trying to appeal to MBA buyers (which was the $1,299 model's original purpose as Phil Schiller said on stage) and just go with that.

Base tier 14": 8GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,499
Middle tier 14": 16GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,699
Higher tier 14": 16GB RAM, i7 CPU (28W), 1TB storage - $2,099

Then BTO options going up to 64GB RAM, 8TB storage for crazy money. All models have the 16" style touch bar, improved speakers and 4 TB3 ports.
I could get behind that lineup the middle tier would suit me fine. Hoping they go for LPDDR4X and WiFi 6 as it would make the dream machine. I’m still hoping for Mini-Led in September or before but I think they could use that to separate the line up and charge higher prices. Hopefully not though either way it’ll be interesting to see what they do

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.