Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I'm not even sure they will continue with 2 models now, makes more sense to merge them, raise the price of entry slightly as they're no longer trying to appeal to MBA buyers (which was the $1,299 model's original purpose as Phil Schiller said on stage) and just go with that.

Base tier 14": 8GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,499
Middle tier 14": 16GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,699
Higher tier 14": 16GB RAM, i7 CPU (28W), 1TB storage - $2,099

Then BTO options going up to 64GB RAM, 8TB storage for crazy money. All models have the 16" style touch bar, improved speakers and 4 TB3 ports.

That makes absolute sense and is hopefully what they’ll do.

The new MBA renders the two-port MBP pointless.

The 13” MBP is now the only one with the butterfly keyboard in the lineup, surely we’ll see something new very soon???

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
They should just kill the 13" MBP since it's made redundant by the new MBA. I'm not sure a 14" touch-bar Ice Lake U (4 cores, 28W, 4 TB3) with no dGPU would be that compelling of a machine.

Just keep 2 models for simplicity: MBA (13" thin and light, quad-core, iGPU) vs. MBP (16" desktop replacement, 6-cores+, dGPU)

Completely disagree. It will be a hugely popular option and will return to be Apple biggest selling MacBook model.
I'm not even sure they will continue with 2 models now, makes more sense to merge them, raise the price of entry slightly as they're no longer trying to appeal to MBA buyers (which was the $1,299 model's original purpose as Phil Schiller said on stage) and just go with that.

Base tier 14": 8GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,499
Middle tier 14": 16GB RAM, i5 CPU (28W), 512GB storage - $1,699
Higher tier 14": 16GB RAM, i7 CPU (28W), 1TB storage - $2,099

Then BTO options going up to 64GB RAM, 8TB storage for crazy money. All models have the 16" style touch bar, improved speakers and 4 TB3 ports.

Would be nice, but I think that is a bit spec aggressive for the base. I think they will stick at 8/256. The middle tier would be $1799, and high tier I think is about right. Hopefully we find out soon!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I don’t think the Air will render the 13” redundant at all, but it might make some people buy an Air instead of a Pro if they don’t need the (sustained) performance of the MBP.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
Completely disagree. It will be a hugely popular option and will return to be Apple biggest selling MacBook model.

Would be nice, but I think that is a bit spec aggressive for the base. I think they will stick at 8/256. The middle tier would be $1799, and high tier I think is about right. Hopefully we find out soon!
I really think they should offer a 16gb model without needing to BTO. It is supposed to be a pro product but even the higher tier model with 2.4 ghz cpu comes with 8gb Ram. Plus, I can’t order from another store with discount because they don’t offer 16gb option. That could save me a lot.

Reactions: ascender

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Maybe, it was only a very rough guesstimate, I don't think they will want the lineup to suddenly start at $1,799 so I think retaining a model at $1,499 or so is quite possible. Then I was basing it on their behaviour with other models - they've doubled storage across existing lineups for the 16" and Air. The $1,499 model currently has 256GB, so I thought they might keep that price point but double up on storage, the $1,699 model is the same but +$200 for the 16GB RAM and then the $2,099 model is +$200 for the 1TB of storage and +$200 for the i7 (which might even be a little optimistic as the current i7 is a $300 option for either model).

Where you might be right is because of the other costs the current $1,499 model doesn't have (second fan, better speakers etc) so maybe they will leave it as an 8GB/i5/256GB machine but it will get the 28W CPU and dual cooling fan setup, better speakers, new display tech etc.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I really think they should offer a 16gb model without needing to BTO. It is supposed to be a pro product but even the higher tier model with 2.4 ghz cpu comes with 8gb Ram. Plus, I can’t order from another store with discount because they don’t offer 16gb option. That could save me a lot.

The upgrade to 16GB must be one of the most common BTO options - it is a surprise they don't have an off-the-shelf model which has it as standard.

Reactions: Falhófnir

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Still holding out hope for next week, ready to get the 13 as 16 is too large!
Oh god fingers crossed for Monday or Tuesday, I'm working from home on my MBP and I want the better keyboard so bad.

It's the not knowing that's driving me the most nuts. Like for all we know we're not getting an update until Q4, or it could drop tomorrow. Wish there were some more clear rumors about the whole thing.

Reactions: tothemoonsands

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Let me ask you all this: Would you rather see a new MBP announced this week (or sometime in Q2) BUT it doesn't have the Mini-LED screen or would you rather wait until the new MBP has that updated display?

And follow-up question: If the new MBP announced in Q2 doesn't have that updated display, do you wait until end of year to see if the rumors are true or pull the trigger?

I honestly keep going back and forth regarding this. I almost got a fully-loaded 2020 iPad Pro until I was underwhelmed by the specs. I sold my 2017 fully loaded MBP 15" several weeks ago. So I have no portable machine, just a solid 27" iMac and iPad Pro 11". I am certainly antsy to get the new MBP 13/14", however, I am absolutely torn as to what I would do if there is a minor refresh just like this 2020 iPad Pro was.

13" with scissor keyboard, wifi6, up to 32gb ram, etc. - is super tempting and far from "minor"....BUT then again I can't help but wonder if that ~$3000 machine will be out of date by the end of the year if a Mini-LED 14" version comes out.

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

I hope that IF Apple is planning on releasing an update to the 13" MBP in Q2, BUT the Mini-LED technology isn't ready, at least bump it up to 14" and reduce bezels. That would make the sting of a late-2020 model hurt WAY less in my opinion.

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Let me ask you all this: Would you rather see a new MBP announced this week (or sometime in Q2) BUT it doesn't have the Mini-LED screen or would you rather wait until the new MBP has that updated display?

And follow-up question: If the new MBP announced in Q2 doesn't have that updated display, do you wait until end of year to see if the rumors are true or pull the trigger?

I honestly keep going back and forth regarding this. I almost got a fully-loaded 2020 iPad Pro until I was underwhelmed by the specs. I sold my 2017 fully loaded MBP 15" several weeks ago. So I have no portable machine, just a solid 27" iMac and iPad Pro 11". I am certainly antsy to get the new MBP 13/14", however, I am absolutely torn as to what I would do if there is a minor refresh just like this 2020 iPad Pro was.

13" with scissor keyboard, wifi6, up to 32gb ram, etc. - is super tempting and far from "minor"....BUT then again I can't help but wonder if that ~$3000 machine will be out of date by the end of the year if a Mini-LED 14" version comes out.

Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

I hope that IF Apple is planning on releasing an update to the 13" MBP in Q2, BUT the Mini-LED technology isn't ready, at least bump it up to 14" and reduce bezels. That would make the sting of a late-2020 model hurt WAY less in my opinion.
New MBP this week with whatever screen they can squeeze into it. Just because it's not mini-LED doesn't mean it won't be the 14" size, they were able to use the same old LED screen tech and still stretch the 15 to the 16". It's just a slightly bigger cut of the same display. But even if they left the display alone, I'd still buy now.

I would not wait, I'm ready for that keyboard upgrade right now. The new screen tech is something I'd be happier to wait on, until second gen when they have sorted out the bugs.

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
100degC is the TJunction of the chip in question: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1030g7-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html

You say above you're ok with it running ("throttled a bit") at 90C but at 100C it's 'stupid' and 'ridiculous'...? What are you basing this difference on? Is 90C just a number you prefer the look of? The chip throttles at 100C because it's designed to. You're throwing out figures about an issue you seem to have little understanding of.
Because at 100C chip is actually at the thermal limit which means it is degrading

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005

Sooner the better for me. I don't think mini-LED is going to be anywhere near the Apple lineup until this time next year.

The very fact they've updated the Air keyboard already makes me hopeful there is an updated MBP coming very soon.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
I just returned my windows gaming pc and now, I’m using my 5th gen Ipad for online ed. homeworks etc. It works just fine but I really need a computer right now therefore I hope they will update the 13” MBP this week. I dont really care what will be the changes for 14” model. I just want a proper keyboard, better cpu and graphics, better storage option.

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
I just returned my windows gaming pc and now, I’m using my 5th gen Ipad for online ed. homeworks etc. It works just fine but I really need a computer right now therefore I hope they will update the 13” MBP this week. I dont really care what will be the changes for 14” model. I just want a proper keyboard, better cpu and graphics, better storage option.
exactly this, MBP 2019 is really overpriced for the amount of storage it offers

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK

depends on specs and price in my case....

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Anyone care to guess if the new MBP 14" could potentially have any discrete graphics? It's now technically possible to do, witness the 13" Razer Blade Stealth as an example with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 inside it

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
As long as we get a 14” with new specs and keyboard before September I’ll buy it. If Mini-Led hasn’t been announced by then and without strong rumours I’ll won’t wait but if we’re getting strong rumours about it being imminent then I’d consider waiting

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Anyone care to guess if the new MBP 14" could potentially have any discrete graphics? It's now technically possible to do, witness the 13" Razer Blade Stealth as an example with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 inside it
They really struggled with the 15" which is a larger machine either way - I suppose it depends on if the 28W (vs 45W) CPUs leaves enough extra thermal headroom to squeeze one in without running into the same issues that hamstrung the 15". I think they can do it with the Razer blade stealth as that has open grilles/ vents on the bottom for airflow - but that stops it being a properly lappable machine which is one of the best things about the MBP design.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Zero chance. The Razer Stealth is a very compromised design right now, which they can do because they can market it purely as a gaming ultrabook. The GTX 1650 Max Q is a pretty poor performer - it can only run modern titles like RDR2 at 30 FPS with low settings. Other games like Destiny it gets up to 50-60 FPS, sure. But again, the design is very poor for general use. The GPU sucks up battery life hard, it averages something like 5 hours on a good day (and that's with only a 1080P screen). The GPU also starves the CPU for power since the system is power limited - I saw some tests where the CPU was only left with 5-10W while the GPU was in use. There are the thermal limitations as well.

So, you have a GPU with still relatively poor performance, terrible battery life, power starved CPU, difficult thermal management. It's nice in theory but the Iris Plus graphics on board Ice Lake are just a far superior solution for that chassis size and the thermal/power/battery restrictions.

Or in Jurassic Park terms, just because they could, doesn't mean that they should.

• Angry
Reactions: adeelrahman

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Zero chance. The Razer Stealth is a very compromised design right now, which they can do because they can market it purely as a gaming ultrabook.

So, you have a GPU with still relatively poor performance, terrible battery life, power starved CPU, difficult thermal management. It's nice in theory but the Iris Plus graphics on board Ice Lake are just a far superior solution for that chassis size and the thermal/power/battery restrictions.

Thanks! All very interesting as I'm learning about this! I am kind of wondering if I can simplify my computing life!! I have a lightweight Surface Pro 6 I use daily for travelling and work. That's used for standard MS Office, potentially quite large Excel spreadsheets.

I also have a desktop with a GTX 1060 6GB in the garage that I use to Zwift on as well as a very old AMD Radeon 7400HD (but CPU/memory good) on a HP Envy Phoenix in my study I use for editing videos etc.

Was musing if I can reduce 3 to 1 device, doesn't seem like I can as to can't get the graphics performance in something light enough to travel daily on trains etc.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Thanks! All very interesting as I'm learning about this! I am kind of wondering if I can simplify my computing life!! I have a lightweight Surface Pro 6 I use daily for travelling and work. That's used for standard MS Office, potentially quite large Excel spreadsheets.

I also have a desktop with a GTX 1060 6GB in the garage that I use to Zwift on as well as a very old AMD Radeon 7400HD (but CPU/memory good) on a HP Envy Phoenix in my study I use for editing videos etc.

Was musing if I can reduce 3 to 1 device, doesn't seem like I can as to can't get the graphics performance in something light enough to travel daily on trains etc.
Not right now, no. If you want decent gaming performance and video editing, you're really looking at a 15-16" size chassis right now, running a 45W CPU instead of a 15-28W CPU. Everything is getting smaller and more power efficient over time, but for current offerings, if you want something both graphically powerful and portable, you need to go a little bigger than the 13". Or, get a 13" and only game when you're at a desk with an eGPU.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Zero chance. The Razer Stealth is a very compromised design right now, which they can do because they can market it purely as a gaming ultrabook. The GTX 1650 Max Q is a pretty poor performer - it can only run modern titles like RDR2 at 30 FPS with low settings. Other games like Destiny it gets up to 50-60 FPS, sure. But again, the design is very poor for general use. The GPU sucks up battery life hard, it averages something like 5 hours on a good day (and that's with only a 1080P screen). The GPU also starves the CPU for power since the system is power limited - I saw some tests where the CPU was only left with 5-10W while the GPU was in use. There are the thermal limitations as well.

Or in Jurassic Park terms, just because they could, doesn't mean that they should.
Kek.

Nobody has seen the 14 inch https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G14/ Asus G14 laptop, eh?

8 core/16 thread Ryzen 4000 series APU alongside RTX 2060 with 120 Hz display in a 14 inch package.

Of course there is possibility of making this happen. Laptops like Razer Stealth are and will be compromised because Intel CPUs are drawing way too much power which hingers the cooling capabilities of ALL Intel CPU based laptops. Look no further than on Apple laptops and how much they throttle.

Reactions: adeelrahman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.