Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
If they get it out now, then they may fill a need with so many people working remotely and needing laptops. If they wait until June, then they risk the buying frenzy (which may already be over), and will be facing an economic slow down where people will be buying less.

Wasn't there a pretty solid rumour of a new Air a week or so before it came out? Not seen such a rumour for a new Pro I don't think???

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Wasn't there a pretty solid rumour of a new Air a week or so before it came out? Not seen such a rumour for a new Pro I don't think???
True, there was a credible leak about the Air but they didn’t mention the Pro or the Mac Mini I’m really hoping for it tomorrow

Mdv2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I really want to order the 14" to replace my late 2013 MBP... What are the rumours based on that they might announce it this week or pure hope?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I really want to order the 14" to replace my late 2013 MBP... What are the rumours based on that they might announce it this week or pure hope?
A well sourced analyst (Kuo) said both the MBA and the MBP would be refreshed in "Q2" which I believe ends in June. We all figured they would come out simultaneously, but that has not been the case. So now it really is just pure hope that Apple wanted to stagger the releases for some reason. Though with iOS 13.4 coming out today and tomorrow being the official launch day for last week's products, I honestly don't really see them announcing even more stuff at the same time, as much as I would like them to.

That leads me to figure they are probably at least waiting until WWDC which is early June to launch it. Notice that both products released last week, the refreshed MBA and the refreshed iPad Pro, don't involve major design changes or a new chassis. It's likely that Apple's production ramp up for an actually new design/chassis (the 14.1 MBP) was slightly delayed.

All that being said, fingers crossed for tomorrow! ?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
A well sourced analyst (Kuo) said both the MBA and the MBP would be refreshed in "Q2" which I believe ends in June. We all figured they would come out simultaneously, but that has not been the case. So now it really is just pure hope that Apple wanted to stagger the releases for some reason. Though with iOS 13.4 coming out today and tomorrow being the official launch day for last week's products, I honestly don't really see them announcing even more stuff at the same time, as much as I would like them to.

That leads me to figure they are probably at least waiting until WWDC which is early June to launch it. Notice that both products released last week, the refreshed MBA and the refreshed iPad Pro, don't involve major design changes or a new chassis. It's likely that Apple's production ramp up for an actually new design/chassis (the 14.1 MBP) was slightly delayed.

Good point! I’d rather wait until June for a 14.1” rather than April for a refreshed 13”. Especially considering if they don’t change m the chassis size for the 13” we’d likely miss out on improvements in battery size, thermals and speakers

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Good point! I’d rather wait until June for a 14.1” rather than April for a refreshed 13”. Especially considering if they don’t change m the chassis size for the 13” we’d likely miss out on improvements in battery size, thermals and speakers
See and I am opposite to you. I would take 13" tomorrow than 14.1" in june

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
See and I am opposite to you. I would take 13" tomorrow than 14.1" in june
Yeah I suppose I depends on everyone’s situation I have the luxury of being able to wait a couple of months before I’ll need it whereas others need it ASAP. I am of the opinion that if it’s a June launch possibly WWDC it should be a substantial upgrade. However last year both the Air and Pro(Base Model) we’re refreshed the 2nd week in July to coincide with the back to school promotion so could that be a possibility?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

This makes sense actually. Although what about the 16" being released in november with no official on-stage announcement? you think they did that because thats a computer that HAD to be upgraded asap?

Yes, every day the idea of finally trying out Linux and getting the new XPS13 Developer Edition looks more interesting.
I know someone who uses this and put arch on it. tbh in engineering environments, linux is quite nice to use. ive used macs for a while but i'm still more used to/comfortable with terminal in linux distros than on macs only because for work/research its ubiquitous. still though obviously its nice to have terminal on macs since theyre very similar

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Yes, every day the idea of finally trying out Linux and getting the new XPS13 Developer Edition looks more interesting.
I am actually 10 years on linux and want to move to mac simply because how politics are starting to influence OSS and linux in particular. I am sick of it but I love unix environment so I am willing to give mac os a try.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
This makes sense actually. Although what about the 16" being released in november with no official on-stage announcement? you think they did that because thats a computer that HAD to be upgraded asap?
What I mean is that production of a redesigned chassis may have been delayed by the coronavirus, not delayed because they wanted to release it on stage. If it's an all new design there's a lot more tooling involved in getting the production line up and running, and they may not have been able to get that done in time because of all the shut downs.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
What I mean is that production of a redesigned chassis may have been delayed by the coronavirus, not delayed because they wanted to release it on stage. If it's an all new design there's a lot more tooling involved in getting the production line up and running, and they may not have been able to get that done in time because of all the shut downs.
Yeah that makes sense I’m just really hoping they go for a 14” soon rather than waiting a while. A June release would make sense because it would have given them plenty of time to get feedback on the 16” and if there would be interest in a 14” which there has been

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I used Linux as my main OS during my CS studies (1991-1995... got me a bit of reputation, refusing to use DOS in those days) and I always had high hopes for it. But really, if you're anywhere near a corporate environment, you get Outlook/Excel and the like thrown at you and web interfaces really aren't the same for those types of programs. I tried using the open alternatives but they're not at the same level and they aren't generally accepted.

So the problem I have is that, if it's not macos, I'm either stuck with Linux with a clumsy Windows VM, or with Windows with a clumsy Linux VM. WSL is at this moment in the latter category (WSL1 doesn't support networking, so useless for a sysadmin). Mac is still the only OS with native support for both commercial apps and a Unix shell. Add a great all-round package and my choice is clear. I am waiting for the 14" because I don't like the 16" dGPU going full wattage for no reason. It's the perfect way to get defective dGPUs in 3 years' time... again. I need at least quad core with HT and 32gb. So bring it on already. If not last week, then yesterday is fine too ?
[edit: corrected typo]

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow

Just a thought, was there not meant to be a “one more thing” announcement back in September possibly relating to the 16” if the chassis was delayed then leading to a November launch the same could have happened with the 14”.

• Angry
Reactions: Enerccio

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
From an earlier post, we can now cross off A2197 as that's the new MBA, still leaves us with potentially 4-5 models to come sometime soon:

So we still have 4/7 models that were registered in June 2019 unaccounted for six months on:
A2141 - 2019 16" MacBook Pro
A2147
A2158
A2159 - 2019 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)
A2179 - 2020 13" MacBook Air

A2182
A2251

And an additional mac was registered in January this year:
A2289

assuming the 2020 16" keeps the A2141 model number, looks like three models could be accounted for by like for like replacements of the Air and up to two 13" Pro models (redesigned with magic keyboards) but then there's three more models to come as well. Either new Arm based MacBooks or configurations that don't currently exist in the lineup? No previous MacBooks have used 'A22' model numbers yet so that's also interesting.

Reactions: AFPBoy

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
From an earlier post, we can now cross off A2197 as that's the new MBA, still leaves us with potentially 4-5 models to come sometime soon:

So we still have 4/7 models that were registered in June 2019 unaccounted for six months on:
A2141 - 2019 16" MacBook Pro
A2147
A2158
A2159 - 2019 13" MacBook Pro (15W version)
A2179 - 2020 13" MacBook Air

A2182
A2251

And an additional mac was registered in January this year:
A2289

assuming the 2020 16" keeps the A2141 model number, looks like three models could be accounted for by like for like replacements of the Air and up to two 13" Pro models (redesigned with magic keyboards) but then there's three more models to come as well. Either new Arm based MacBooks or configurations that don't currently exist in the lineup? No previous MacBooks have used 'A22' model numbers yet so that's also interesting.
Do the different tiers all have different model number. Eg does the £2399 and £2799 16” share a model number or do they have different ones

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Do the different tiers all have different model number. Eg does the £2399 and £2799 16” share a model number or do they have different ones
All variants of each model share the same number, often model numbers are also used across several iterations of the same machine (e.g. the 2018 and 2019 MBA are both A1932, all 2012-2015 15" MacBook Pros are A1398). They seem to change it when the casing changes, so for example while this MBA gets a new model number with the new KB (it got slightly thicker) the 2015 MBP didn't for the Force Touch trackpad (it was otherwise the same).

Reactions: AFPBoy and floho_hh

Altherekho

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2019
I don't reckon this is happening anytime soon. If it was ready to go they'd have announced with the raft of announcements last week. Think June more likely now but would love to be wrong!
I think they need to change the keyboard as soon as possible but without stealing users from the new Macbook Air , which is different i know , i saw that thermal throttling ‘issue too , ok Air has a very different target i know ,but it seem very very good IMO, so could it be the case to have a 14 inch with discrete gpu and ice lake on Wwdc?
While Tiger Lake could be just in 2021 with the ‘new Thunderbolt4 , which is 40 Gbps isn’it ? I hope for 80.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I think they need to change the keyboard as soon as possible but without stealing users from the new Macbook Air , which is different i know , i saw that thermal throttling ‘issue too , ok Air has a very different target i know ,but it seem very very good IMO, so could it be the case to have a 14 inch with discrete gpu and ice lake on Wwdc?
While Tiger Lake could be just in 2021 with the ‘new Thunderbolt4 , which is 40 Gbps isn’it ? I hope for 80.
I don't really see why they would care if they stole users from the MacBook Air. They just want you to buy a MacBook, not sure if they particularly care which.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Yeah, the MBA is a nice looking machine and well specced. I've ordered one but cancelled it... I really want a new machine with the scissor-switch keyboard, but I suspect if I go for the Air I'll regret it when the new Pro comes out.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Yeah, the MBA is a nice looking machine and well specced. I've ordered one but cancelled it... I really want a new machine with the scissor-switch keyboard, but I suspect if I go for the Air I'll regret it when the new Pro comes out.

Unless they massively up the MBP prices!!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Unless they massively up the MBP prices!!

I don't see why they would....

Remember all the crazy topics in here ahead of the 16" MBP launch where people were predicting massive price increases based on absolutely nothing?

The laptop landed at the exact same price as the 15" and with double the storage. MBA has come in cheaper with double the storage too.

So I'm expecting the same with the new 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.