Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
I am wondering if they will refresh the MBP 16" (and debating whether it actually needs a refresh)
All the rumors and announcements last week made me hold off on ordering the MBP 16"

There is one way I can guarantee an announcement for the MBP 16":
If I actually ordered one today, the refresh would be announced tomorrow

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I am wondering if they will refresh the MBP 16" (and debating whether it actually needs a refresh)
All the rumors and announcements last week made me hold off on ordering the MBP 16"

There is one way I can guarantee an announcement for the MBP 16":
If I actually ordered one today, the refresh would be announced tomorrow
The rumour is for mini LED later this year or early next, I don't think there's any appropriate 10th gen chips for it yet?

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
The rumour is for mini LED later this year or early next, I don't think there's any appropriate 10th gen chips for it yet?

I will be buying an XDR display to connect it anyway so mini-LED is not something I would wait for

Of course, I'd rather have the Mac Pro with W5700x (a nice middle ground between the 580x and Vega II) but, it seems as if Apple will never release it, content to having it "coming soon" for months now on the website

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I will be buying an XDR display to connect it anyway so mini-LED is not something I would wait for

Of course, I'd rather have the Mac Pro with W5700x (a nice middle ground between the 580x and Vega II) but, it seems as if Apple will never release it, content to having it "coming soon" for months now on the website
Other than the display, the only so-so update I know of will be Comet lake which is meant to be up to 10 cores (based on a leak of an i7 recently it looks like that will be bumped to 8 and presumably the i9 will be 10) - so with that you could potentially get near current i9 power for i7 money, or 10 cores, assuming that comes to fruition and Apple choose to include it (doubt they want another 2018).

Reactions: ChromeCrescendo

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
After not getting an announcement today I’ll be really disappointed if they wait until June to release another 13” and not give it the 16” redesign with a 14” screen and better internals.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
Well damn, I really had my hopes up for a 13 announcement today, guess I’m going to have to hold off.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
I think I’m just going to buy the 2019 MBP 16/128. My school is now on fully online education and I really cannot wait any longer. My BTO is going to arrive at the end of april, and it looks like stores will stay closed for a while in my country. If they release the new 13“ with better value, I‘m just going to return 2019MBP and get the new one. I know 128gb storage is little but I really need the extra ram for music production and programming. I’ll get a 1tb ssd in the future. Do you think it’s a solid plan? Any suggestions?

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
128GB is way too little and overpriced. But if you need it you need it. Question is that maybe you should get MBA, it is garbage thermally but if you only need it for school then it should be fine...
I can actually go with the 2.4ghz/8gb/256gb option instead of that. But I don’t know whether the ram will be enough for coding python and using logic.

Last edited:

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
I can actually go with the 2.4ghz/8gb/256gb option instead of that. But I don’t know whether the ram will be enough for coding python and using logic.
why don't you get 16GB ram and 256GB? 2.4GHz version is honestly not a good deal at all

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I think I’m just going to buy the 2019 MBP 16/128. My school is now on fully online education and I really cannot wait any longer. My BTO is going to arrive at the end of april, and it looks like stores will stay closed for a while in my country. If they release the new 13“ with better value, I‘m just going to return 2019MBP and get the new one. I know 128gb storage is little but I really need the extra ram for music production and programming. I’ll get a 1tb ssd in the future. Do you think it’s a solid plan? Any suggestions?

I've used laptops with 128GB and even with cloud storage its really tight, id' say 256GB is a minimum for everyone, regardless of use case. Otherwise you'll end up spending lots of time managing storage.

With music production and programming, I think any MBP with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD is a good choice.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
For coding Python, you can work with far less RAM than 8GB. But it depends on what you want to do in that Python. Python can work with huge data sets that eat terabytes of RAM, too. But for coding itself, 8GB would most likely work.

As for Logic, the minimum system requirements ask for 4GB of RAM. Again, you can fill it with huge plug ins and instruments and it may require way more. Depends on what you want to do. If you get 128GB SSD, that doesn't really leave you with a lot of space for all those huge instruments anyway.

I would always advise anybody to get 16/256 as a minimum these days, or 16/512 to be more comfortable.

kocered

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2020
For coding Python, you can work with far less RAM than 8GB. But it depends on what you want to do in that Python. Python can work with huge data sets that eat terabytes of RAM, too. But for coding itself, 8GB would most likely work.

As for Logic, the minimum system requirements ask for 4GB of RAM. Again, you can fill it with huge plug ins and instruments and it may require way more. Depends on what you want to do. If you get 128GB SSD, that doesn't really leave you with a lot of space for all those huge instruments anyway.

I would always advise anybody to get 16/256 as a minimum these days, or 16/512 to be more comfortable.
Well, I might consider 2020 Air i5/16/256 as well since I won’t be doing video editing. Can I cope with 128gb pro if I use a large external storage? I cannot get 16/256 pro because BTO’s are expensive and I think the price difference between air and pro are significiant. I’ll try to cope with my ipad for now. I hope they will release the new pro soon. I wish there was a heat pipe on the new air. That would make things more interesting.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Can I cope with 128gb pro if I use a large external storage?
It depends. If you're just going to store some files, it will only slow down when you open or save the file. On the other hand, if those files are files that need constant access when using them (project files, for example) then you'll feel the slowdown.
[edit] I have a 128gb usb stick plugged permanently in my 8/256 mbp and use it only for large files I need infrequently, e.g. DVD-ROM images.

Reactions: kocered
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.