Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
We are all hoping that it’s imminent but nobody really knows.

Personally I’d be delighted if they released a 14 inch, 10th generation Intel, with mini led screen, Face ID, 15 hour battery life, and the upgraded keyboard tomorrow.

Not going to happen though as they never release on a Sunday. ??
That does sound perfect right enough. Happily take it without FaceID and with 10hrs battery even if we had to wait until August/September. What difference will mini led make to MacBook screen when it gets adopted?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
That does sound perfect right enough. Happily take it without FaceID and with 10hrs battery even if we had to wait until August/September. What difference will mini led make to MacBook screen when it gets adopted?
You’re right of course about the battery life but Face ID would be so cool - open the lid and bam! You’re all set.

The advantage of mini led screens is improved image quality. See here:

Reactions: Never mind

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
You’re right of course about the battery life but Face ID would be so cool - open the lid and bam! You’re all set.

The advantage of mini led screens is improved image quality. See here:

Thanks
[automerge]1585441871[/automerge]
A thought just popped into my head, could they possibly time it so that the new pro (preferably 14”) gets announced on the magic keyboard with trackpad launch day?. It’s a decent amount of time away to prepare and would match up with the 28W refresh last year. The only thing I see to make it unreasonable would be the close proximity to WWDC

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
All I know is this is really annoying waiting for a refresh. Air with a better keyboard and SSD starting at 256 gb. I really hope it comes this week. Need a laptop for course work and work.

Reactions: SvenLorenz1975

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
Ahhh it's so frustrating. Need an upgrade so bad, especially since Ima be working from home for the next few weeks to months.

When was the 13" inch released last year, was it at the June WWDC event ? But then again I guess can't go off based on last years timeline.

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Ahhh it's so frustrating. Need an upgrade so bad, especially since Ima be working from home for the next few weeks to months.

When was the 13" inch released last year, was it at the June WWDC event ? But then again I guess can't go off based on last years timeline.

I sold my iPad Pro and I'm currently working on a Chromebook...HATE it lol. Can't imagine that Apple will wait until June to release a refresh or 14 model. Like come on, the keyboard is crap, the base storage is crap. They're really going to let the Air and the 16 inch have better keyboards?

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
I sold my iPad Pro and I'm currently working on a Chromebook...HATE it lol. Can't imagine that Apple will wait until June to release a refresh or 14 model. Like come on, the keyboard is crap, the base storage is crap. They're really going to let the Air and the 16 inch have better keyboards?

I think a June date seems early if anything, they're not going to be ramping up production anytime soon.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
There will likely be a refresh at WWDC or before for at least one of the 13” Models either the base model or higher tier. There has only been one credible rumour for a 14” but considering the mini led tech rumoured it may be some time off. Best case scenario I think is a 14” model in May/June with normal screen tech, magic keyboard, better speakers, 10th gen processors 15W for base model 28W for higher tier with storage being doubled for all models (base starting at 256 with higher tier at 512). However from some rumours it may not receive the screen increase ?

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
I might be too optimistic, but I cannot imagine Apple is waiting that long to just re-release a 13" with updated specs. They could have done that alongside the iPad and Air. So a 14" seems to be more likely to me.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I might be too optimistic, but I cannot imagine Apple is waiting that long to just re-release a 13" with updated specs. They could have done that alongside the iPad and Air. So a 14" seems to be more likely to me.

i really hope you’re right. I’m getting impatient particularly at this time of enforced social distancing.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I hope your right. I think the only reason it could be delayed is because of the 28W intel chips

ChromeCrescendo

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2020
So, in waiting for the W5700x for the nMP, I thought I would just get the MBP 16"
Then I realized that to connect my Gigabit ethernet I would need 2 adaptors (thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 and thunderbolt 2 to ethernet) -- I wonder if having to use 2 adaptors will effect speed?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012

I was talking about 14 inch laptops. Yeah, that is what performance is.
ErYPmSyDY6AeKqAB4YtqH8.png

Haha. So not only 35W Renoir beats Intel in performance, it also beats Intel(and AMD) in battery life.

Apple laptops will look absolutely ridiculous in performance per watt and thermals compared to competition that used those APUs. Ridiculous!

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
There will likely be a refresh at WWDC or before for at least one of the 13” Models either the base model or higher tier. There has only been one credible rumour for a 14” but considering the mini led tech rumoured it may be some time off. Best case scenario I think is a 14” model in May/June with normal screen tech, magic keyboard, better speakers, 10th gen processors 15W for base model 28W for higher tier with storage being doubled for all models (base starting at 256 with higher tier at 512). However from some rumours it may not receive the screen increase ?
forget the storage. increase the ram. 8gb in 2020?

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
forget the storage. increase the ram. 8gb in 2020?
That too! I was looking so it’s been 6 years since the 15” got 16GB as standard so surely they must up it now
[automerge]1585581679[/automerge]
ErYPmSyDY6AeKqAB4YtqH8.png

Haha. So not only 35W Renoir beats Intel in performance, it also beats Intel(and AMD) in battery life.

Apple laptops will look absolutely ridiculous in performance per watt and thermals compared to competition that used those APUs. Ridiculous!
This year possibly but once they transition to ARM I’m sure things will improve dramatically as long as they can smoothly transition the x86 apps. Plus I’m not too sure but with macOS are many things not optimised for better performance that doesn’t rely solely on the chip

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Plus I’m not too sure but with macOS are many things not optimised for better performance that doesn’t rely solely on the chip

Direct comparison of sleugh of benchmarks between Linux, Windows 10 and MacOS Catalina on the same machine: MacBook Pro.

In short, the only thing that is optimized on MacOS for better performance is Web Browsing. Everywhere else it loses to both: Linux and Windows in performance. Badly.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Direct comparison of sleugh of benchmarks between Linux, Windows 10 and MacOS Catalina on the same machine: MacBook Pro.

In short, the only thing that is optimized on MacOS for better performance is Web Browsing. Everywhere else it loses to both: Linux and Windows in performance. Badly.

Now try that test with battery life.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Now this is a video that every tech enthusiast needs to see:

So AMD wins with almost half of the TDP, and in thin and light chassis.
If Apple doesn't switch to AMD, and switch soon, they're gonna be left behind. Again.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow

If Apple doesn't switch to AMD, and switch soon, they're gonna be left behind. Again.
Yeah with intel currently but when they change to ARM things will likely improve massively. I know it’s different x86 to the likes of IOS but when the 18 month old A12X is better in performance terms with some benchmarks compared to even the 10th generation chips just released the massive potential in shown

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Well I wanted to wait and see real numbers before fully believing what AMD were saying on stage, but this actually makes that look conservative! AMD are really parking their tanks on Intel's lawn here, mobile H is a much bigger and more lucrative section of the market than desktop given laptops outsell desktops by something like 2.5:1!

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah with intel currently but when they change to ARM things will likely improve massively. I know it’s different x86 to the likes of IOS but when the 18 month old A12X is better in performance terms with some benchmarks compared to even the 10th generation chips just released the massive potential in shown

Apple is doing a great job with their CPU/GPU on phone/tablet market, actually, they are crushing their competition. No doubt about that. But PC market is a different beast. I for example won't purchase any possible macs with ARM. At least not for 3-4 years until transition to new architecture is done.

I've already left because of the keyboard fiasco (and imho gimmicky touchbar). Now if they move to AMD, I will probably go back. Or if Intel 10th is better then AMD (highly doubtful), then I'm still probably going back. I know, I'm not a benchmark for income of users, just stating my own opinion :)

Well I wanted to wait and see real numbers before fully believing what AMD were saying on stage, but this actually makes that look conservative! AMD are really parking their tanks on Intel's lawn here, mobile H is a much bigger and more lucrative section of the market than desktop given laptops outsell desktops by something like 2.5:1!

I was expecting them to beat Intel. But just barely in benchmarks, and with lower prices. But this isn't just a win for AMD, this is Intel getting completely crushed, so I would agree with you - their estimates were really conservative.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
The AMD chips do look impressive especially when compared to the intel competition although that’s against the 9th Gen 14nm. I do believe we need to wait and see what Apple offers in its ARM lineup from the end of this year and the beginning of next. I just hope that they can make the transition easy with amazing performance but we’ve yet to see any evidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.