Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
The AMD chips do look impressive especially when compared to the intel competition although that’s against the 9th Gen 14nm. I do believe we need to wait and see what Apple offers in its ARM lineup from the end of this year and the beginning of next. I just hope that they can make the transition easy with amazing performance but we’ve yet to see any evidence.
People are putting way too much hopes, and dreams into ARM architecture tackling desktop stuff.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I’m sure people would have said similar things when iPad was first released with the A4 I think we should wait and see before making pre judgements
Have you actually checked the differences between iOS and MacOS? Have you actually checked the differences in software complexity between iOS and Mac?

Have you actually looked at latest benchmarks between latest and greatest ARM chips versus x86 chips?

Becuase I have. Graviton v2 which is the fastest ARM chip on the planet is still losing on average to Rome. By over 50%.

The only place where ARM is good at this point is lightly threaded workloads, everywhere when you high scalability, high coherency, highly threaded workloads ARM CPUs choke like 15 year boy before its crush. Heck, in those lightly threaded workloads it even beats Intel and AMD.

WHICH IS WHY APPLE ON iOS ACHIEVES SUCH PERFORMANCE!

Give it anything highly threaded and it will be absolutely the same situation as other ARM chips.

Reactions: Enerccio

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I’m sure Apple have spent years running macOS on ARM and have a solid plan for the transition.

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
I just hope this week is the week I can order a dang laptop to work ha. I'm tempted to get a pc I'm so damn desperate lol.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The AMD chips do look impressive especially when compared to the intel competition although that’s against the 9th Gen 14nm. I do believe we need to wait and see what Apple offers in its ARM lineup from the end of this year and the beginning of next. I just hope that they can make the transition easy with amazing performance but we’ve yet to see any evidence.
Yes the transition will have been a long time in the works, and I think this would be the problem for AMD Macs. Apple would have to 100% commit to them over Intel or Arm for the Mac Platform, and make all the tweaks and optimisations to ensure the chips raw performance is translated into a smooth and bug free MacOS experience. That takes time to do, and unless Apple have had access to these chips for over a year, I don't think we're seeing anything with them in this year.

Reactions: Never mind

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Yes the transition will have been a long time in the works, and I think this would be the problem for AMD Macs. Apple would have to 100% commit to them over Intel or Arm for the Mac Platform, and make all the tweaks and optimisations to ensure the chips raw performance is translated into a smooth and bug free MacOS experience. That takes time to do, and unless Apple have had access to these chips for over a year, I don't think we're seeing anything with them in this year.
I agree. Considering there has been rumours of arm since the 2011 MacBook Air I’m presuming they have been testing arm for at least that long. They’ll have it very well optimised and although it may take 2-3 years to iron out any hiccups and may be a pain for many to begin with I think in the long run it will be a worthwhile move. I understand that people say arm isn’t designed for the tasks macs are used for but I’m confident that Apple wouldn’t make the move if they at the very least couldn’t match intel performance

Reactions: Falhófnir

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
I presume nobody has read latest take on ARM Mac from Jean-Louis Gassee: https://mondaynote.com/arm-ed-mac-we-have-an-answer-545a20419a46

Ill post the same thing in ARM discussion.

IMO. ARM with all of its drawbacks makes only sense in entry level, fanless design, that is APPLE SERVICES ACCESS ONLY device. A Chromebook Competitor.

It will happen in MacBook. But there is very, very long road awaiting us if we will ever going to see MacBook Pro's and stuff like Mac Pro on ARM.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
There’s been leaked photos of iPhone 9/SE 2 cases with retailers being told not to display them until April 5th. This could mean a release or announcement sometime this week. Hopefully the new MacBook Pro will be announced at the same time ??

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, we knowthat for a fact. Intel CPUs under load use way more power than they claim, hence the PL2 spec.

9980HK core I9 has 200W PL2 state. Clearly higher than the "rumored" 45W TDP.

The same goes for Core i5 MBA. Its quad core CPU(!) and people expect it to run cool?

Other companies are performing mini thermal miracles, so yeah, a lot of us got our hopes up. That quad core MBA would have been an instant purchase for me w/o these thermal issues, simply because I loathe the touchbar that much.

Reactions: c0ppo

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
So, there was this post for an iphone 9 case meaning to be in shop's inventory by April 5th. It's pretty fair to predict that the phone will be announced this week as a result. Is it possible that Apple will announce the MBP alongside it? I can't remember if Apple announces these things in multiples when theres no official event.

Thoughts?

stuffx

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2020
So, there was this post for an iphone 9 case meaning to be in shop's inventory by April 5th. It's pretty fair to predict that the phone will be announced this week as a result. Is it possible that Apple will announce the MBP alongside it? I can't remember if Apple announces these things in multiples when theres no official event.

Thoughts?

Yes. Since the so called March event was originally planned on March 31 followed by product availability in early April. So yes the updated MBP 13” could be announced this week too.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I presume nobody has read latest take on ARM Mac from Jean-Louis Gassee: https://mondaynote.com/arm-ed-mac-we-have-an-answer-545a20419a46

Ill post the same thing in ARM discussion.

IMO. ARM with all of its drawbacks makes only sense in entry level, fanless design, that is APPLE SERVICES ACCESS ONLY device. A Chromebook Competitor.

It will happen in MacBook. But there is very, very long road awaiting us if we will ever going to see MacBook Pro's and stuff like Mac Pro on ARM.
Well, I agree the overall MBP transition will probably take longer, yes, as it's tied up with the software ecosystem transition much more than a MBA like device. Ultimately though, they might well push one out quite early in the process just as a proof of concept, developer tool, or so their chips don't get pigeonholed as the 'low power' option. That's a perception they obviously need to break, and coming out with something that smokes an Intel MBP (assuming they have such a chip behind the scenes) would be the way to do it. If they have one ready with a fully polished version of Final Cut, Xcode, Logic Pro etc, plus just a handful of 3rd party apps that's still quite a useful machine for a good chunk of people doing video editing.

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
I don't mind waiting till June tbf if that means we get the 14". ?

Will it be like the 16 inch where the 15 is discontinued or will they update the 13' early and then release the 14' later on in the year ?

papadakn

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
From a product perspective, it only makes sense to retire the 13 inches MBP.

Their product line would be much more streamlined:
- 13 inch MBA: Cheap (for Apple standards), sufficiently powerful Quad core cpu options, no touchbar, small/light form factor
- 14 inch MBP: More powerful 4/6cores with better screens for content creators that are on the go
- 16 inch MBP: bigger screen real estate, 8 core options and discrete GPU

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Yes. Since the so called March event was originally planned on March 31 followed by product availability in early April. So yes the updated MBP 13” could be announced this week too.

smart move, they did not need to spend money and change the marketing material, if they just stick to the original timeline ??

Mac133

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Haha, I almost bought used 4k imac on friday, but somebody picked it up just couple hours before me. Now again waiting. Hope tomorrow is the D day.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I've given up lol. If it's not here by Friday I'm going to order a Razor or an MSI laptop out of sheer desperation haha.
Hopefully tomorrow, However the rumour is that the new iPhone will be announced on the 15th so maybe then if not tomorrow.
[automerge]1585687188[/automerge]
I've given up lol. If it's not here by Friday I'm going to order a Razor or an MSI laptop out of sheer desperation haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHurryKayne

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Hopefully tomorrow, However the rumour is that the new iPhone will be announced on the 15th so maybe then if not tomorrow.
[automerge]1585687188[/automerge]
Man oh man April 15 would be horrible...I'm using my damn Chromebook waiting lol

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I’m using a 5th gen Ipad for online edu. and everything else. I can’t wait any longer.
For online school I’m currently using an iPad mini 4 with a wrecked battery so it needs to be plugged in continuously. It’s a real pain but I’m holding out for buying the 14” Pro for starting Computer Science at University in the late summer

Reactions: kocered
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.