Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I gave up and got a 16". God knows when this thing is actually coming out. Suppose I'll reevaluate next year when the mini-LED displays are out.

Reactions: drinkingtea

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Apple waiting to release it makes no sense. I’ve been waiting for a 14-inch Pro for years. I can’t afford the 16-inch.

The Surface Laptop 3 is discounted by $300 often. I think I’ll grab the 15-inch when another sale occurs. The keyboard on it is heavenly to type on (yes, even compared to the 16-inch Pro). The typing experience is silky, TBH. Plus, I’ll get to play Star Wars Battlefront on it, something I wouldn’t be able to do on a Mac...

Reactions: Altherekho

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Apple waiting to release it makes no sense. I’ve been waiting for a 14-inch Pro for years. I can’t afford the 16-inch.

The Surface Laptop 3 is discounted by $300 often. I think I’ll grab the 15-inch when another sale occurs. The keyboard on it is heavenly to type on (yes, even compared to the 16-inch Pro). The typing experience is silky, TBH. Plus, I’ll get to play Star Wars Battlefront on it, something I wouldn’t be able to do on a Mac...
You sound informed but just make sure you know what you're getting into with that one - most people are saying the 3rd gen AMD chips in it underperform, worsen battery life, and cause bad wifi as well. Integrated Vega is alright but don't expect any serious gaming on it. The 16" can certainly run Battlefront in bootcamp, but again like you said affordability is a problem.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
You sound informed but just make sure you know what you're getting into with that one - most people are saying the 3rd gen AMD chips in it underperform, worsen battery life, and cause bad wifi as well. Integrated Vega is alright but don't expect any serious gaming on it. The 16" can certainly run Battlefront in bootcamp, but again like you said affordability is a problem.
I’ve definitely considered all of this. For what I would be using the laptop for (research and writing papers), I’m not overly concerned. But I might just be patient and wait to see what happens in June. If I could afford it, I’d be buying the 16-inch right now. It’s such a beautiful device.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
I can't imagine that they'll prolong it to get the miniled or a new cpu on the 14". I feel like it would be weird if the 14" was further along then the 16" - wouldn't they keep them aligned in terms of features? Same rough series of chips, same panel type, etc?
Yeah you would think they’d want to keep them aligned. WWDC in recent years has been kept for bigger launches eg Mac Pro last year, the iMac Pro and this year the likely announcement of ARM support. So it seems strange that they would consider launching a new MacBook Pro likely with some on stage time if they didn’t have any major upgrades for it. Fingers crossed it may have something to do with Mini Led and a bigger screen but June seems too early in the year for it.

Reactions: Altherekho

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’ve definitely considered all of this. For what I would be using the laptop for (research and writing papers), I’m not overly concerned. But I might just be patient and wait to see what happens in June. If I could afford it, I’d be buying the 16-inch right now. It’s such a beautiful device.
I also considered the 15" Surface Laptop, I ultimately ended up not going for it because the 512GB/ 16GB configuration is £2,049 - that's about £300 off the 16" Pro for a machine that falls short in just about every way (smaller, lower resolution screen, worse speakers, slower SSDs, less performant CPU, no dedicated graphics, no Force Touch trackpad, no Touch ID (for uses other than just logging in, I'm aware it has Windows Hello for that)).

I don't have particularly demanding use for a computer like this, and I appreciate what it is, and I really wish Apple would release a similar machine, MBA or otherwise, but it's way too expensive for what it is at the top end, and under-specced at the low end (even Apple are now moving away from 128GB machines over £1K). I guess if you are happy with a 256GB machine (that was the dealbreaker for me) the £1,499 model is about as close as it gets to a sweet spot, but it's value really isn't great at all. If it had come with AMD 4000 and double storage across the board, I would probably have gone for it. As things stand, I'd rather wait for mini LED and pay a little bit more for the 16", as much as I'm not particularly satisfied with getting a computer like that for office work.

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
So no macbook this week apparently. I was pretty sure after the iPhone 9 case with release on April 5. Then we probably need to wait until WWDC.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
Da
So no macbook this week apparently. I was pretty sure after the iPhone 9 case with release on April 5. Then we probably need to wait until WWDC.
The rumour is now for WWDC which is apparently going to be on June 1st. Hopefully it means a more substantial upgrade with a bigger screen. iPhone 9 is rumoured to be announced on the 14/15th of April

uer23

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2020
I definately say get braced for the worst.

Whilst most of you are right in saying that it seems a bit stupid delaying such a necessary and much needed release of the 13'/14' MBP. But remember these are unprecedented times, something of the like we've never seen in our lifetime. US seems to be heading to be the new epicentre for covid and don't know how things are in china even though they're saying things are starting to resume back to normal.

thimplicity

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
I definately say get braced for the worst.

Whilst most of you are right in saying that it seems a bit stupid delaying such a necessary and much needed release of the 13'/14' MBP. But remember these are unprecedented times, something of the like we've never seen in our lifetime. US seems to be heading to be the new epicentre for covid and don't know how things are in china even though they're saying things are starting to resume back to normal.

I do not think we will go back to what we know as normal for quite a while. At the same time, Apple did release the MBA and the new IPP during the crisis as well and those are volume-wise probably more important to them.

Enerccio

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Oh well, thanks apple, but I can't wait, bought Lenovo C940. Shame, was hoping to try macOs, I guess I will stay on linux

logicalphalluses

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
I have been planning to buy a 13/14" when it comes out, but working from home has convinced me I need to upgrade ASAP. I would definitely buy a 16", but I need to use it with an external display and am concerned about the heating issue. I'm considering just buying the current 13" instead but I know the keyboard sucks and it seems kind of silly with the new one about to come out. Thoughts?

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I have been planning to buy a 13/14" when it comes out, but working from home has convinced me I need to upgrade ASAP. I would definitely buy a 16", but I need to use it with an external display and am concerned about the heating issue. I'm considering just buying the current 13" instead but I know the keyboard sucks and it seems kind of silly with the new one about to come out. Thoughts?
I'd go for 16 and if you want to use an external monitor just use it in clamshell mode.

BenConlin44

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2020
Glasgow
The main issue with the new version is that we now know that it will likely be a WWDC launch, however we don’t know what it will be other than a magic keyboard and storage bumps. The processors for the higher end model are meant to be 28W ice lake but there’s been no rumours for the base model or even what size the thing will be. So it’s really a wait and see game

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
There is no issue in clamshell mode, or?
There's a really long thread about it in this forum if you want to read up on it, but basically if you use it in clamshell it's pretty mellow and the GPU uses only like 5 watts, but if you use it out of clamshell with an external monitor then GPU usage can jump to like 20 watts and the system gets a lot hotter.

Reactions: dapa0s

incredibleBread

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Why are people ruling out an April release since it didn't come out this week? The iphone 9 evidence is getting stronger and stronger for mid-april.

TedJustAdmitit

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2010
I'd go for 16 and if you want to use an external monitor just use it in clamshell mode.
Hmmm, Mine has been really quiet. No overheating, no fan noise. Only flaw is the lack of Wi-fi 6, but that is just being too picky and so I gave in and bought it.

SvenLorenz1975

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2015
Germany
Just to clear something up - there hasn't been a single rumor or leak about the new 13"/14" being released at WWDC, it's just what some people assume. Other people think that it will definitely not be released at an event, because the 16" wasn't either and the 14" is much less important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.