Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Don't forget. Apple deal with Microsoft also ran out for using the patent technology for the fonts.

Apple and Microsoft signed a patent cross-licensing agreement in 1997, back when Microsoft was so dominant they were under anti-trust investigation from the US government, and Apple was a breath away from bankruptcy.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1292505/584.pdf

Microsoft invented sub-pixel antialiasing and have been awarded multiple patents for the technology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType#Patents

The deal expired in 2017.

Ironic then that Mojave still looks *much* clearer than windoze7 (bootcamp'd) on exactly the same hardware (on a Dell 1920x1080)!

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
No such problems on my Air. Fonts look fine. Glad I upgraded.
[doublepost=1538010292][/doublepost]
Who doesn't have a retina Mac at this point? Everyone must, and if you don't really you must upgrade now. There's no excuse.

I don't. I no, I don't need to upgrade and I don't need an excuse.
[doublepost=1538010369][/doublepost]
There’s also no excuse for Apple releasing an OS upgrade that doesn’t work well (at least without a workaround) on non-Retina models when they are still selling them as new machines. Both the MacBook Air and base iMac are still non-Retina. That’s pretty sloppy especially for a company that prides itself in the motto “It just works!”

Except it works just fine on Non Retina machines. In fact, its JUST WORKS, perfectly.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
People claiming these 'fixes' bring back subpixel antialiasing are wrong. There is no fringe color shown on the fonts in Mojave, regardless of the command lines entered.

https://i.imgur.com/4kPXa1Y.jpg?1

Left side of image is High Sierra. Right side is Mojave with defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool FALSE and

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2 applied. These offered the 'best' results for my 2017 MBA but they were not as clear as in High Sierra.

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
Yes, fonts would look blurry and pixelated unless you run the terminal command below and logout and back in. I have the same monitor and it worked for me:

defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO

Thanks. I guess I'll give it a try at some point. Worst case I can roll back to High Sierra. Might wait until the .1 update though.

The monitor looks and works as good as the day I purchased it so I have no plan to get rid of it as long as it continues to function.

Reactions: Rocko99991

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
People claiming these 'fixes' bring back subpixel antialiasing are wrong. There is no fringe color shown on the fonts in Mojave, regardless of the command lines entered.

https://i.imgur.com/4kPXa1Y.jpg?1

Left side of image is High Sierra. Right side is Mojave with defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool FALSE and

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2 applied. These offered the 'best' results for my 2017 MBA but they were not as clear as in High Sierra.

You're using the wrong commands. Goodness knows what combinations you've used to not have it working.

It does bring back sub pixel AA when available i.e. you won't see it everywhere, which I believe is how High Sierra works too.

From a stock GM 18A391 Mojave install you need ONE COMMAND TO RULE THEM ALL :)

Also make sure "Use font smoothing when available" is enabled (last setting in System Preferences - General).

Logout and login again to see the change.

Sounds like you need to wipe your MBA and start again. Or roll back to High Sierra and be happier.
Mojave isn't perfect, hopefully it'll get better with future updates.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I do hope it gets better. Looking like it was crayoned on the screen at the moment on mine.
Feedback sent.

NastyNatex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
You're using the wrong commands. Goodness knows what combinations you've used to not have it working.

It does bring back sub pixel AA when available i.e. you won't see it everywhere, which I believe is how High Sierra works too.

Also make sure "Use font smoothing when available" is enabled (last setting in System Preferences - General).

Sounds like you need to wipe your MBA and start again. Or roll back to High Sierra and be happier.

This is the closest I got it to HS, thanks for the terminal command. I do however miss the thickness of the font but oh well.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
That was a flamebait, I think.

But really, the display in the MB Air is just sad.

As long as apple keeps selling the MB Air after having released Mojave what really is sad is not the display ...

anyway, what I did was create an APFS volume on HS to perform a parallel Mojave installation on my mb air

I will be able to use both of them and take my time to decide which way to go

Last edited:

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
The subpixel font rendering engine that used to produce beautiful fonts on macOS is gone! There are a few "fixes" floating around here, they don't bring the old engine back and the results are not acceptable in my opinion. Let me save you the 2 day restore process I am in the middle of downgrading to High Sierra.
I have a 2012 non retina MBP. I always wait about 6 months before updating to that years new release and this years plan is to do the same.

Good luck to you in your restore.
[doublepost=1538028325][/doublepost]
Who doesn't have a retina Mac at this point? Everyone must, and if you don't really you must upgrade now. There's no excuse.
I had a 2015 MBP that I sold back in February to continue using my non retina 2012 MBP. I don't miss the 2015 one bit.

Reactions: PhilMacbook

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Accra, Ghana.
I have a 2018 15” Retina and when connected to my Dell U3417W via the Elgato TB3 dock the fonts on the external monitor looks like ****. Even when connecting directly from a TB3 to DisplayPort cable directly from the MB it looks horrible.

This weekend I am going to reinstall HS
****... is that soot? (kidding!)
[doublepost=1538035224][/doublepost]
Same here…

I use an Apple LED 27" Display — 2560 x 1440 — and until this post popped up I didn't know I had to spot a difference… I still can't tell if it is worse.
Thank god for 54 year old eye eh?

Life. So much simpler with one foot in the grave. :D
one foot in the grave? how about them that's got one and a half feet (a toe per decade)? ;) Retina is fine, so is non-Retina - for older eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arkitect

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015

I’ve seen you post this elsewhere, and others have liked your comments. So you are saying subpixel anti-aliasing still exists in Mojave, but it needs to be turned on via a setting change in terminal?

I’d really like what you say to be true since I have a 2012 iMac. And it would be easily proven. For instance I proved the difference for myself in High Sierra. I turned it off in High Sierra. I had a sentence in a Text Edit. I did a screen shot before turning it off and after. If I zoom in on the image before (with it enabled) I can see different colors around the characters. With it turned off I see only gray anti-aliasing. A more subjective test was finding text much thinner and less rich looking after I turned it off.

So why aren’t some people having success with your change? Are they not logging out and back in for the change to take effect?

Strider64

macrumors 65832
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I use a Cintiq 13" as my second monitor, but I just use it for pictures, development work and obviously drawing on it. As long as the font is still clear to read I don't mind.

Reactions: TokMok3

phr0z3n

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Wichita, KS
Except it works just fine on Non Retina machines. In fact, its JUST WORKS, perfectly.

I have two 1080p IPS external monitors hooked up to my 2017 15-inch MacBook Pro. Fonts do not look as good as they did on High Sierra. On the MacBook Pro's screen itself, fonts appear to be fine.

There is a difference.

Internal display :

n1MZMTo.png

External Display :

qxTMMiP.png

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
I'm using 10.14.1 on my Late 2013 iMac non-retina. Why did Apple remove subpixel anti-aliasing? Why didn't they just leave it alone and include it as an option for those with non-retina screens. Makes no sense at all.
It's their way to tell you that you need to change computer....

And consider yourself lucky, it it was iOS you could not downgrade ;) At least (for now) on macs you can still install previews OSes ;)

Reactions: g-7

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017

The command you listed is the same as I had. NO is the same as FALSE. Applying different levels of font smoothing changed their appearance but none of these on their own or combination brought back subpixel AA. There are no color fringes.
[doublepost=1538061691][/doublepost]
I’ve seen you post this elsewhere, and others have liked your comments. So you are saying subpixel anti-aliasing still exists in Mojave, but it needs to be turned on via a setting change in terminal?

?

It hasn't been shown. If it's true lets see some proof.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004

Yes, exactly.

I’d really like what you say to be true since I have a 2012 iMac. And it would be easily proven. For instance I proved the difference for myself in High Sierra. I turned it off in High Sierra. I had a sentence in a Text Edit. I did a screen shot before turning it off and after. If I zoom in on the image before (with it enabled) I can see different colors around the characters. With it turned off I see only gray anti-aliasing. A more subjective test was finding text much thinner and less rich looking after I turned it off.

Exactly, you will see the colour fringing when subpixel AA is enabled in Mojave.

However, it does not appear in as many places in the UI as High Sierra. For example, in the Finder the sidebar has it, but the filenames do not. The menu bar does have it, same as High Sierra.

In Safari, some webpage text has it and some doesn't - but that's the same in High Sierra too.

So why aren’t some people having success with your change? Are they not logging out and back in for the change to take effect?

Maybe, yes. Some are simply not using the correct command. And some are expecting the UI to look exactly like High Sierra everywhere again, when it doesn't - things have changed in Mojave and some are not going to like it.

It needs to be pointed out that this command may not work in future updates to Mojave. If you're using a non-Retina Mac or external displays and the text rendering method is important to you I'd hold off installing Mojave for now until the dust settles and we find out more. Apple did mention this change at WWDC so it's not a total surprise to those in the know, but they could make further changes in the future.

Alternatively just install Mojave yourself on a separate volume to test it. APFS makes this very easy - just add a new volume, no need to partition your drive or allocate fixed space. Or to be even safer use an external drive for testing.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Alternatively just install Mojave yourself on a separate volume to test it. APFS makes this very easy - just add a new volume, no need to partition your drive or allocate fixed space. Or to be even safer use an external drive for testing.

Challenge accepted! I have an external SSD I run my Virtual Machines on. It has over 150 GB free. I just upgraded the file system to APFS. I'll install Mojave and see what it looks like and if the settings change brings back sub pixel anti-aliasing. As I said I really want this to be true.

Reactions: ChrisChaval
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.