Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffgtx

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Really hoping the Ceramic are not limited to the major cities only, like the previous Editions were. Not keen on a 5 week shipping wait, and want to see in person before I buy one.

Congrats on yours, I hope you enjoy it!

Even the stores that claim they will not carry the ceramic have them on display, FYI.

Reactions: Buddhake

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
It really depends on how you define major city, someone said they picked up their ceramic from the same store I got my apple watch. It is in the suburbs of a major city (DC) but not a major city itself.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
I was going to but then I said if Im gonna spend this much money on a smart watch ill wait for the model I want.

The Space Black SS 42mm.

I guess Ill just wait for my preorder.
Stainless steel has been impossible to find in the LA area. I'm waiting on pre-order too and have stopped checking in-store.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Has anybody had luck finding silver SS in store? I've only seen space black locally.

If you look at istocknow.com, you'll see various stores have them, mostly on the coasts but also you may just have people quicker than you finding them in the stores :)

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
This beauty was due 18th - 31st Oct, but received it today!!!
Series II, Stainless Steel Space Grey...

3d776292aae2db48d07487191722765c.jpg

Reactions: DerekZoolander

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I'll probably regret this because someone near me will use it and hurt my chances, but here's the script I'm using in the Mac Terminal to check Watch availability every 60 seconds:

Code:
MODEL=MNPJ2LL/A
ZIP=10012

while [ 1 ]; do curl "http://www.apple.com/shop/retail/pickup-message?parts.0=$MODEL&location=$ZIP" --silent 2>&1 | egrep -q '"pickupDisplay":"available"' && say "A white watch is available"; sleep 60; done

Just change the model and ZIP code as appropriate.

My modification. I upped the interval to 10 minutes, added an option for a second model (I'll take either of two band choices) and have a notification sent in a text message. Mine is running in Linux/bash.

ETA: The best place to get model info that I've found is bestbuy.com.

Code:
MODEL1=MP062LL/A
MODEL2=MP072LL/A
ZIP=33556
PHONE=<email address for text messages - xxxyyyzzz@txt.att.net for example>

while [ 1 ]; do
echo `date`: Checking for Black Sports Band
curl "http://www.apple.com/shop/retail/pickup-message?parts.0=$MODEL1&location=$ZIP" --silent 2>&1 | egrep -q '"pickupDisplay":"available"' && mail -s  "Model $MODEL1 is available" $PHONE < /dev/null;
echo `date`: Checking for Woven Band
curl "http://www.apple.com/shop/retail/pickup-message?parts.0=$MODEL2&location=$ZIP" --silent 2>&1 | egrep -q '"pickupDisplay":"available"' && mail -s  "Model $MODEL2 is available" $PHONE < /dev/null;
echo Sleeping for 600 seconds
sleep 600; done

Last edited:

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
My modification. I upped the interval to 10 minutes, added an option for a second model (I'll take either of two band choices) and have a notification sent in a text message. Mine is running in Linux/bash.

Code:
MODEL1=MP062LL/A
MODEL2=MP072LL/A
ZIP=33556
PHONE=<email address for text messages - xxxyyyzzz@txt.att.net for example>

while [ 1 ]; do
echo `date`: Checking for Black Sports Band
curl "http://www.apple.com/shop/retail/pickup-message?parts.0=$MODEL1&location=$ZIP" --silent 2>&1 | egrep -q '"pickupDisplay":"available"' && mail -s  "Model $MODEL1 is available" $PHONE < /dev/null;
echo `date`: Checking for Woven Band
curl "http://www.apple.com/shop/retail/pickup-message?parts.0=$MODEL2&location=$ZIP" --silent 2>&1 | egrep -q '"pickupDisplay":"available"' && mail -s  "Model $MODEL2 is available" $PHONE < /dev/null;
echo Sleeping for 600 seconds
sleep 600; done

This is awesome!

I thought about finding a way to set it up to send an email... just hadn't done it yet. This is exactly what I need so that I can leave it running at home and get an alert when it finds one...

kevin_tron_taco

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Burbank, CA
I've been able to locate and buy one SS, one Space Black SS and one ceramic in LA. They pop up but you've got to be quick. I check every couple hours and have been looking still to help a buddy find the one he wants.

Reactions: bunnicula

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Has anybody had luck finding silver SS in store? I've only seen space black locally.
I'm finally seeing silver SS for pick up in store (with link bracelet only though) in NYC area. I have been looking for space black SS since launch but haven't seen any. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the silver SS while I wait for my space black pre-order.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014

Found the first failure case: It doesn't (appear at the moment) to have a range option, so I am getting alerted to a watch 175 miles away - every 10 minutes. :(

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I check everyday on Apple.com for local pickup of a SS black and today it changed from unavailable everywhere to be "Available for pickup 11/2" at all nearby stores. So it appears no chance at getting lucky.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It now appears that all models of Series 1 and Series 2 are reporting on Apple's site as "Available Nov 2". It's a way off, but it's at least the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel".

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
...I'm gonna pull the trigger on the silver SS while I wait for my space black pre-order.
I opted to order one online rather than wait on stock to arrive locally. My initial expected date was 20 October through sometime in November, but I received a shipment notification this morning. UPS says it'll be here by 30 September and Apple says to expect it on the 3rd of October.

Either Apple totally botched their supply chain with this release, or they didn't anticipate the demand.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I opted to order one online rather than wait on stock to arrive locally. My initial expected date was 20 October through sometime in November, but I received a shipment notification this morning. UPS says it'll be here by 30 September and Apple says to expect it on the 3rd of October.

Either Apple totally botched their supply chain with this release, or they didn't anticipate the demand.

It's quite likely that it's a combination of the two. Not sure if you've followed (or even seen) the similar threads on iPhone 7 availability... but it's very much the same situation. The launch was pretty much mayhem, and for the first time since pre-ordering was an option, I did not get a launch day date. My date was Oct 4-10, despite having my order in and confirmed by 12:08 pacific time. My phone was delivered on Saturday, some 10 days early.

I know on the phone side there was a serious shortage of Plus models, and a shortage of black devices, and black Plus models were nearly impossible to secure. Was it demand? Was it supply chain? Can't say, but it has worked itself out, and orders are being fulfilled.

Perhaps I will just go ahead and order the watch, rather than try to find it locally.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015

When did you place that order? Cause that seems like an awesome turnaround.

I ended up picking up that SS LB yesterday and it's great. Everything is just smooth and faster.

All the models that didn't have an option for pickup thus far (including the SS SB LB that I really want) now all show a pickup date of November 2 in several NYC and NJ stores near me. So it seems like that's the day you'll be able to just walk in and get one.

EDIT: Didn't see the November 2 info had already been posted. Whoops!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.