Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like to be able to swipe left and right to switch watch faces?

• Yes. I like the way it was in WatchOS 9 and earlier (swipe left and right for watch faces).

Votes: 244 66.8%
  • No. I like the way it is in WatchOS 10 (swiping left and right has no function)

Votes: 80 21.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 41 11.2%

• Total voters

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
I'm a big fan of the change in OS10. I don't know how I was doing it, but I was one of those folks that used to accidentally change watch faces on a regular basis. That problem is now gone for me in OS10.
I occasionally find that I’ve hit a corner complication by accident, but I’m glad that I don’t have to long-press to use complications. Knock on wood.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
For those that have random accidental swiping issues, I assume you will still have those issues with Smart Stack from the bottom and notifications from the top.

If you had issues in the past with random swipes why not just turn on water lock? Just a few steps to turn it on or off.

Reactions: snash22

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It’s a good point, and easily added with an update!
Not sure how easy it is to add the option to turn side swipe on/off. I only took coding class in high school, but remember adding options increased programming complexity quite a lot.

ReliableSource

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2011
For anyone who doesn’t know: when you long press to get into face-changing mode, you can scroll through them extremely quickly by rotating the crown, and then press it to select the currently displayed face.

Reactions: RPhoto and Crowbot

acraniotes

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2023
While I’m not a fan of the new face swiping method, I have to say that my disappointment with it pales in comparison to my general distaste for WatchOS 10.

Overall this feels like change for change’s sake: to wit, there’s nothing about it that makes my AWU1 easier to use or more efficient. In fact, I find it to be quite the opposite.

Perhaps in time I’ll grow accustomed to it (not though I have a choice), but for now I’m less than impressed.

Regards,
Adam

IAmStumped

macrumors member
May 31, 2023
One the one hand it's a bit annoying that there's an extra step now when you want to change the watch face, but I can't even count how many times I've changed it accidentally because it was so easy to swipe. At least with WatchOS10 I know the face isn't changing unless I do it on purpose.

Reactions: Howard2k

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
While I’m not a fan of the new face swiping method, I have to say that my disappointment with it pales in comparison to my general distaste for WatchOS 10.

Overall this feels like change for change’s sake: to wit, there’s nothing about it that makes my AWU1 easier to use or more efficient. In fact, I find it to be quite the opposite.

Perhaps in time I’ll grow accustomed to it (not though I have a choice), but for now I’m less than impressed.

Regards,
Adam
This isn't a fundamental upgrade. They changed some of the fonts and graphical elements and changed some button functions but I can still get around. My only complaint is the subject of the thread. What makes it harder for you to use?

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Not sure how easy it is to add the option to turn side swipe on/off. I only took coding class in high school, but remember adding options increased programming complexity quite a lot.
It shouldn't be too much of a lift. They have the code for doing it the old way so it seems it would just be a matter of switching to one routine or the other.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
this is the only thing that’s bothering the s—t out of me with what I think is an otherwise incredibly polished release. the whole OS feels like a breath of fresh air with its major overhauls and subtle refinements—and this feature removal makes no sense to me. it was so nice being able to swipe for a digital time versus an analog time when I need an exact digit (like when I’m trying to accurately clock in/out at work). now I have to go through (admittedly, only one or two more, but every step counts in UX) more steps to achieve the same goal. seems weird and like a step backward.

dsteve

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
Ever since I heard they eliminated swiping to change the face, I wondered why TF, but hadn’t heard a reason, nor had I heard any new use for side swipes.

I just happened to notice that the new weather app allows you to swipe left/right to see the next page (this is different than scrolling up/down with the crown).

So, I think that’s Apple’s intent with this change - allow devs to use it within their apps.

I’m not saying I like the change, because it’s driving me crazy so far. And it’s not really even a better experience in the weather app than using the page switching menu at upper right.

But I sure hope side swipes end up doing something more useful in the long run to make this worth it.

Reactions: acraniotes

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Ever since I heard they eliminated swiping to change the face, I wondered why TF, but hadn’t heard a reason, nor had I heard any new use for side swipes.

I just happened to notice that the new weather app allows you to swipe left/right to see the next page (this is different than scrolling up/down with the crown).

So, I think that’s Apple’s intent with this change - allow devs to use it within their apps.

I’m not saying I like the change, because it’s driving me crazy so far. And it’s not really even a better experience in the weather app than using the page switching menu at upper right.

But I sure hope side swipes end up doing something more useful in the long run to make this worth it.
This theory made sense for about a minute, but then I realized that there's no need for Apple to take side swipes away from the faces view in order to make it available for use in apps.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I swipe between watch faces over the course of the day depending on what I'm doing so I will miss this functionality. It would have been nice for Apple to simply introduce a toggle in settings to enable/disable this function. As far as I can tell, there is no new functionality that has been introduced in its place. In any event, it'll just take a day or two to get used to the old way again.

Reactions: snash22

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I don't know why they did this - considering swiping left or right now does nothing, its not like a new feature was introduced anyways. I would understand if swiping was now used for a different feature, but no. Hope they bring it back!

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
My issue with this release is they have actions that duplicate. Crown turn and swipe up both activate the widgets.
With the watch, there are limited ways to interact, and to waste actions to do the same thing is crazy.
The watch face swipe to switch not working is annoying.
Not having the dock is annoying. I can get used to the double crown click, but the option to pin favorites needs to be there. recently used doesn't work. I pin apps that I want quick access to when cycling, jogging, etc.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Having to rethink and change one’s workflow on the Watch, a device many of us engage with while performing other activities, is a hassle. It’s not unlike having to set up all your SmartHome gear again after moving, having forgotten how many things you enjoyed were customized or complicated.

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I must be a watch klutz.

Could not figure out how to change watch faces on Watch OS 10 even with the tutorial.

Kept pressing, but nothing registered like my finger is non existent, kept vibrating, then kicked me out.

After 10 frustrating minutes, I went to my iPhone and changed faces there - much better experience.

Sort of like using my iPhones for a work application which is a pain (small fonts, tiny link URLs, and small buttons to click) - I much prefer to do the same on my Macbook without the strain.

-griffy-

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
This isn't a fundamental upgrade. They changed some of the fonts and graphical elements and changed some button functions but I can still get around. My only complaint is the subject of the thread. What makes it harder for you to use?
I can speak for myself, but several of the app updates have taken a page that had multiple things on them that could be scanned at a glance, and moved that stuff each onto a separate page. Let's take Fitness for example. Previously, when you first opened Fitness you were shown essentially a summary page, showing your rings and you could scroll down to see the status of all three of them on the same screen. It was all seamless on one "page," letting you scroll down without interruption.

Now when you open Fitness, you only see the rings. Then when you "scroll" you actually switch to another page with a dissolve/dip-to-black/transition that breaks things up. But the next page only shows the status of Move. Then you have to switch to another page with the dissolve to see Exercise, and again to see Stand.

So whereas before you could just scroll down a bit to quickly see the status of all three, now you need to go through 4 pages one by one with a transition breaking up and "interrupting" each piece of data/page. This seems to be a new design language across many apps for watchOS 10.

The Carrot weather app also took one scrollable screen of data and broke it out into multiple discrete pages with transitions between each.

Like switching faces, they've taken stuff that was quicker and simpler and made it slightly more cumbersome, making accessing or doing the same thing take more steps that take longer.

Last edited:

nonns

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I can speak for myself, but several of the app updates have taken a page that had multiple things on them that could be scanned at a glance, and moved that stuff each onto a separate page. Let's take Fitness for example. Previously, when you first opened Fitness you were shown essentially a summary page, showing your rings and you could scroll down to see the status of all three of them on the same screen. It was all seamless on one "page," letting you scroll down without interruption.

Now when you open Fitness, you only see the rings. Then when you "scroll" you actually switch to another page with a dissolve/dip-to-black/transition that breaks things up. But the next page only shows the status of Move. Then you have to switch to another page with the dissolve to see Exercise, and again to see Stand.

So whereas before you could just scroll down a bit to quickly see the status of all three, now you need to go through 4 pages one by one with a transition breaking up and "interrupting" each piece of data/page. This seems to be a new design language across many apps for watchOS 10.

The Carrot weather app also took one scrollable screen of data and broke it out into multiple discrete pages with transitions between each.

Like switching faces, they've taken stuff that was quicker and simpler and made it slightly more cumbersome, making accessing or doing the same thing take more steps that take longer.

I cannot understand what they were thinking. The widgets royally suck and they’ve made everything that was quick and intuitive and used often slow and awkward and unintuitive to use. I’m so po’d I’d switch to garmin if it wasn’t for the sensor accuracy on the Apple Watches. Just once I wish one of the big tech companies concentrate on real change - more useful sensors/ more fitness info rather than making changes that didn’t need making and forcing us to learn new ways to use a device we were comfortable with because it worked. I’m sure this nonsense sucks up extra horsepower too. The only good thing is the new watch face which I am using. I wish they’d make some of the other complications on the other watch face more flexible and losing the swipe to change face was stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: -griffy-

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I think in EIGHT YEARS that I might have accidentally swiped faces maybe twice.

Way to over react Apple. You took away a useful feature many of us used multiple times per day in order to prevent something which happened infrequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.