Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
Quote below from thewirecutter leads me to believe that there may be something special about Belkin's and Mophie's fast charging support that other Qi chargers do not have at the moment.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-qi-wireless-charger-for-iphone-and-android-phones/

"this Belkin charger will support 7.5 W charging for iPhones once Apple issues the aforementioned software update; other chargers will apparently not. A Belkin representative told us, “Once iOS updates to 7.5W, the Boost Up 7.5W charger will deliver optimal charging for that exact device.”"

[doublepost=1509646109][/doublepost]
The RavPower published they would support. I think they’d get in a great deal of issues if they advertise that and then pull the plug on that.
I'm thrown off by their listing since their iPhone wireless pad's included AC adapter is based on Qualcomm's Quick Charge technology. My understand was that iPhone wireless charging would NOT support Qualcomm's Quick Charge technology.

Other than the claim that their pad will support 7.5W charging speeds their page lacks any other information. There are no specs. No mentions of working with Apple like Belkin and Mophie have advertised. I realize RAVPower is considered a credible company, but the lack of information about Apple's fast charging software update at the moment makes me suspicious. Makes me wonder if maybe RAVPower is just crossing their fingers that since the specs for their pad exceeds 7.5W charging it will support 7.5W charging on the iPhone... that just sounds like wishful thinking to me.

... then again I could be completely wrong... making an issue out of nothing...
[doublepost=1509646380][/doublepost]Don't get me wrong I'd love it if it was confirmed 100% that RAVPower supports 7.5W with iPhones. The last thing I want to do is overpay for a Belkin or Mophie pad. My only issue is that since Apple hasn't endorsed the RAVPower pad like those other two. RAVPower may end up being limited to 5W like all the other 3rd party Qi chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PedCrossing

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I can’t imagine Apple doing something other than what other phones have done when it comes to Qi. It just happens to be that the phones need a software update to take up to 7.5W of charging. BTW RavPower also has it advertised on amazon they will support the faster charging. But whatever.. we’ll see when we see. It’s not that big of a deal for me either way.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
I can’t imagine Apple doing something other than what other phones have done when it comes to Qi. It just happens to be that the phones need a software update to take up to 7.5W of charging. BTW RavPower also has it advertised on amazon they will support the faster charging. But whatever.. we’ll see when we see. It’s not that big of a deal for me either way.
The main thing that's throwing me off is that Apple specifically said during their September Press Conference that their wireless charging is BASED on the Qi Standard. NOT that they are using the Qi Standard. That leads me to believe there is a possibility that Apple may have made alterations to the Qi standard specifically for iPhones. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/1...cessories-coming-from-mophie-belkin-and-more/

It's possible any Qi charger will work up to 5W with an iPhone, but special alterations may be needed for 7.5W speeds.

Why would Apple not just explicitly say that all Qi chargers that support at least 7.5W charging will support fast charging with the iPhone?

Why would Apple work directly with Belkin and Mophie to make their fast wireless chargers iPhone compatible?

Why haven't pages for previous Belkin and Mophie Qi chargers that support more than 5W charging been updated to state that they will support fast charging with iPhones?

Also keep in mind the RAVPower pad was released/announced before the iPhone 8/8+/X were announced. Why haven't other brands with faster than 5W wireless chargers updated their product pages to state they'll support fast charging with the iPhones?

Something is just not adding up here.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
The main thing that's throwing me off is that Apple specifically said during their September Press Conference that their wireless charging is BASED on the Qi Standard. NOT that they are using the Qi Standard. That leads me to believe there is a possibility that Apple may have made alterations to the Qi standard specifically for iPhones. https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/1...cessories-coming-from-mophie-belkin-and-more/

It's possible any Qi charger will work up to 5W with an iPhone, but special alterations may be needed for 7.5W speeds.

Why would Apple not just explicitly say that all Qi chargers that support at least 7.5W charging will support fast charging with the iPhone?

Why would Apple work directly with Belkin and Mophie to make their fast wireless chargers iPhone compatible?

Why haven't pages for previous Belkin and Mophie Qi chargers that support more than 5W charging been updated to state that they will support fast charging with iPhones?

Also keep in mind the RAVPower pad was released/announced before the iPhone 8/8+/X were announced. Why haven't other brands with faster than 5W wireless chargers updated their product pages to state they'll support fast charging with the iPhones?

To $ell those chargers
[doublepost=1509650180][/doublepost]
I can’t find the code. Can you share it? :oops:
iDBsDeal

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Air power looks good but is anybody getting one to keep them going until then?

Think a wireless charger that you can use as a stand is what i will look for.

Yes! Me, me me!

GMTA :)

I bought Spigen's (F303W) wireless charger. It's a stand but your phone sits at a slight angle. I think that the angle is perfect if you want to use it while it's charging. I was tempted to get Spigen's other charger (flat round disc) but I really wanted a stand. If I get the Air Power when it's released this one will just become an extra charging stand. I like having chargers in different locations so I won't need to go off looking for it when I'm in another part of the house.
[doublepost=1509651076][/doublepost]
I've got this one sitting next to my keyboard right now - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - waiting for my preordered iPhone 8+ to arrive sometime within the next week.

And I've got this one on its way via UPS today https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3XH3KQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - to sit next to my bed for overnight charging.

Those look like winners. I gave those a long hard look before deciding on Spigen. Spigen's stand tipped the scale.
[doublepost=1509651575][/doublepost]
I am new to this thread. Is there a wireless charger with fast charging I can get for my iPhone X? Or does not exist? if so, link to amazon?

The iPhone X in it's present state does not support fast charging. It will but not now.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005

Gruber and others are reporting that the iPhone 8/8+/X meet the Qi standards but have additional changes that allow for their AirPower charger that Apple intends to make available to Qi so that "the technology can be added to the Qi standard". Basically its like the W1 chip in AirPods, its "bluetooth" with secret sauce but in this case Apple is making the secret sauce open source so maybe other companies can integrate it and get superior charging pads that can do multiple devices at the same time etc.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Hate to be a pessimist, but I still think it's unconfirmed that any currently announced Qi chargers will support fast charging with iPhones other than Belkin's and Mophie's offerings announced last month.

If you buy another Qi fast charger right now you are running the risk that you will only be limited to 5W charging even if the charger supports faster than 5W changing with other Qi compatible devices.

Quote below from thewirecutter leads me to believe that there may be something special about Belkin's and Mophie's fast charging support that other Qi chargers do not have at the moment.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-qi-wireless-charger-for-iphone-and-android-phones/

"this Belkin charger will support 7.5 W charging for iPhones once Apple issues the aforementioned software update; other chargers will apparently not. A Belkin representative told us, “Once iOS updates to 7.5W, the Boost Up 7.5W charger will deliver optimal charging for that exact device.”"

[doublepost=1509646109][/doublepost]
I'm thrown off by their listing since their iPhone wireless pad's included AC adapter is based on Qualcomm's Quick Charge technology. My understand was that iPhone wireless charging would NOT support Qualcomm's Quick Charge technology.

Other than the claim that their pad will support 7.5W charging speeds their page lacks any other information. There are no specs. No mentions of working with Apple like Belkin and Mophie have advertised. I realize RAVPower is considered a credible company, but the lack of information about Apple's fast charging software update at the moment makes me suspicious. Makes me wonder if maybe RAVPower is just crossing their fingers that since the specs for their pad exceeds 7.5W charging it will support 7.5W charging on the iPhone... that just sounds like wishful thinking to me.

... then again I could be completely wrong... making an issue out of nothing...
[doublepost=1509646380][/doublepost]Don't get me wrong I'd love it if it was confirmed 100% that RAVPower supports 7.5W with iPhones. The last thing I want to do is overpay for a Belkin or Mophie pad. My only issue is that since Apple hasn't endorsed the RAVPower pad like those other two. RAVPower may end up being limited to 5W like all the other 3rd party Qi chargers.

You’ve way over-complicated this. Quick Charge is a wired standard and you are correct that Apple isn’t supporting it, but it is irrelevant to Qi WIRELESS standards. While many Qi wireless chargers use Quick Charge for their wired power source, their OUTPUT is always meeting the Qi standard and Apple is using the Qi standard in their phones. So all working Qi will work with iPhones. Further, all Qi chargers that output 7.5W or greater will be able to charge the iPhone at their max wireless speed - this includes chargers that output up to 10W like many do - and iPhone will simply draw its max of 7.5W from those chargers.

It works the same as wired - plugging your iPhone into an 87W charger is fine, as iPhone can pull it’s wired max of 18W when connected properly.

TLDR: iPhones can use any Qi charger, and can fast charge on any Qi charger that outputs 7.5W or greater, including third party chargers that don’t mention iPhone specifically but are Qi chargers nonetheless, whether they can output 10W, 9W, whatever

Last edited:

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
No. You only need the USB C to lightning cable if you’re using one of the Apple adapters for wired fast charging.
For sure, so all I would need is that cable though if I already have the adapter from Rav Power is what I am saying
[doublepost=1509654531][/doublepost]
As far as I know all you have to do is wait until Apple releases the software upgrade that will allow fast charging. You should have all you need out of the box.
Got you. And this Rav one says it will work with that?

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
For sure, so all I would need is that cable though if I already have the adapter from Rav Power is what I am saying
[doublepost=1509654531][/doublepost]
Got you. And this Rav one says it will work with that?
Thats’ what they say. It’s on their facebook and their amazon listing. You can take snapshots and if it doesn’t end up working when the fast charging is released then you should be able to return it free of charge.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
You’ve way over-complicated this. Quick Charge is a wireless standard and you are correct that Apple isn’t supporting it, but it is irrelevant to Qi standards. While many Qi wireless chargers use Quick Charge for their wired power source, their OUTPUT is always meeting the Qi standard and Apple is using the Qi standard in their phones. So all working Qi will work with iPhones. Further, all Qi chargers that output 7.5W or greater will be able to charge the iPhone at their max wireless speed - this includes chargers that output up to 10W like many do - and iPhone will simply draw its max of 7.5W from those chargers.

It works the same as wired - plugging your iPhone into an 87W charger is fine, as iPhone can pull it’s wired max of 18W when connected properly.

TLDR: iPhones can use any Qi charger, and can fast charge on any Qi charger that outputs 7.5W or greater, including third party chargers that don’t mention iPhone specifically but are Qi chargers nonetheless, whether they can output 10W, 9W, whatever
Okay okay. I realize I'm over complicating the situation, but I still think that a lot of this thread is based on assumption rather than fact (including some of your post). Nonetheless I'm willing to accept that I may be making a big deal out of nothing....

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I bought two Rav power ones at £15 each. Decent value compared to the bellin and Mophoe ones. Will found out how well they work tmw.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
got a cheaper stand on amazon and just bought the mophie one from Apple Store

Mophie and Belkin chargers are overpriced, you can buy any wireless charger and they will provide the same functionality. I don't want to pay £50+ for a wireless charger, that's just insane, when I can pay £15 and buy a charger that's identical in functionality (i.e same charging speed).

Reactions: SR71 and Juanefny

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Mophie and Belkin chargers are overpriced, you can buy any wireless charger and they will provide the same functionality.
sure they are overpriced but they are top brands so you know they are dependable . I wanted one to take work and use in the lounge at home.

Like anything if you use it enough it's worth what you pay.

it will also work with fast wireless charging when it's enabled

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Ya they have 2, not fast and fast charge

remember they have been doing wireless fast charge for a while now...
[doublepost=1509661491][/doublepost]
Mophie and Belkin chargers are overpriced, you can buy any wireless charger and they will provide the same functionality. I don't want to pay £50+ for a wireless charger, that's just insane, when I can pay £15 and buy a charger that's identical in functionality (i.e same charging speed).

he is right, cheap really isn't a good thing in this dept. the cheap ones will over heat, have to have your phone perfectly aligned or it wont charge. And most of the cheap ones dont come with a wall adapter or cord.
[doublepost=1509661932][/doublepost]and make sure it has multi coils, 2 or 3.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Went with a brand new OEM Samsung convertible wireless charger on eBay for $32. It works great and very versatile, but I really hope Apple won't be stingy and prevent Samsung QI products from being compatible fast charging devices once the update releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.