Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA

I’m curious too. One costs way more and looks slightly different and includes the adapter... but they both supposedly do 10W

Looking at the description/details on what’s in the box, one includes the QC 3.0 adapter, the other does not.

b87f04dfbddfef799f4e982b3588565d.jpg
a60f06f2242647173e858fa04121cdda.jpg

ednygma

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2010
Louisville, KY
I thought I read that the iPhones (8, 8+ & X) only allow standard charging rates wirelessly (Qi) and that for corded, fast charge it has to be Power Delivery 3.0 (USB-c) with a max of 18W. The article I read this in stated that buying a charger with greater power (like the Apple 29W) will still only deliver power at the same rate as one that is 18W. I might have misread things though that that is what I recall.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
RAVPower, it uses standard connectors that are common if something gets misplaced.

Mophie has a proprietary barrel plug and cant see the Belkin.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere, but today I began wondering if the iPhone X will fit on the Belkin Boost Up wireless charging pad without the vertically mounted rear camera getting in the way. I would think it would have to fit, but looking at the size of it, I'm hoping it can sit flat with the camera lens assembly outside of the pad's perimeter. Belkin would have to have thought about that as part of its design, right?

Maybe it fits as long as you skew the iPhone so more of it is over the top edge of the pad, and less so over the bottom...

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
does apple say its okay to use any QI charger? casue they only sell belkin and morphie in stores. so im curious.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
does apple say its okay to use any QI charger? casue they only sell belkin and morphie in stores. so im curious.
https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

"Wireless charging (works with Qi chargers)"
"Compatible wireless charging mats sold separately."

Any Qi charger should work. Apple is even pretty generic when mentioning Qi chargers on their website. The only advantage of the Belkin and Morphie mats are that they're the only mats guaranteed to support fast 7.5W changing after a future software update.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

Any Qi charger should work. Apple is even pretty generic when mentioning Qi chargers on their website. The only advantage of the Belkin and Morphie mats are that they're the only mats guaranteed to support fast 7.5W changing after a future software update.
ah okay..

im hoping the samsung one does fast charging once the update comes out too. Only reason i want samsung is because its a stand.

thanks!

Reactions: AJsAWiz

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I was holding out for AirPower, but have now decided not to because it was planned for my bedside, and I prefer my Apple Watch in Nightstand mode so I can turn over in bed and read the display. That was the dealbreaker for me. I would still use the AirPower for my iPhone and AirPods, but I've decided I also prefer my iPhone in an upright position so I can see its display as well. Soooo... I bought 8 of Seneo's newest charging stand on Amazon (2 for my wife's and my bedside, 2 for my wife's offices, 2 for each of my kids, 1 for my office, and 1 for the kitchen/common area):
71Id90035-L._SL1300_.jpg
How has it been working so far?

RandyMass

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
@Mlrollin91 - I have yet to receive my 8+ in the mail (supposed to come Tuesday). When you say faster charging, you mean the 7.5w? The Anker box says to get 7.5w I have to use a 2a charger. So yeah, an iPad brick (10-12w) or any Anker plugin charger should work.

Looking forward to seeing the draw on my Kill-a-watt when I get my 8+ this week (been a long... long wait (ordered Friday the 15th)).
What cable do I have to get for this? I do have a Apple 12 watt brick. And the Anker usb-c wall adaptor and Apple usb- c lightning cable.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What cable do I have to get for this? I do have a Apple 12 watt brick. And the Anker usb-c wall adaptor and Apple usb- c lightning cable.

In my post I was talking about the wireless charger - which wants a 2a brick at least.

For the rapid charging you need a USB C to Lightning cable. It looks like you got the brick already. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I'm not sure if all the $7-$9 USB C to Lightning cables on Amazon will work - but wow, there seems to be an explosion of those on the Amazon store (no-name brands).

mrl72

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Got mine setup and ready to go! Hopefully face id works at this angle.

Attachments

• File Nov 01, 10 10 32 AM.jpeg
    File Nov 01, 10 10 32 AM.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 430

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2012
I’m interested in a Qi car charger mount. I have to use my lightning port to adapt to headphone for aux in.

Any recommendations?

RandyMass

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
In my post I was talking about the wireless charger - which wants a 2a brick at least.

For the rapid charging you need a USB C to Lightning cable. It looks like you got the brick already. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

I'm not sure if all the $7-$9 USB C to Lightning cables on Amazon will work - but wow, there seems to be an explosion of those on the Amazon store (no-name brands).
I want to get the Anker that you have. What cable would
I neeed for that?

jimf123

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Hi, im afraid I’m a being a bit of a dumbo here, I’ve just bought a puk type wireless charger from amazon which says it supports fast wireless charging. Also bought a ravpower plug (30w I think) again to potentially support faster wireless charging. Do I need a special cable between the plug in the wall and the wireless puk, or just the one that came with the wireless charging device? And of course Apple will need to allow slightly faster wireless charging via software update..? Is my understanding correct?

And am I right in thinking that for non wireless but fast 30 minute/50% charging, I will need a special cable with the higher output plug, such as the ravpower one I just bought, or even an old iPad plug?

Thank you everyone..

Jim

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

RAVPower on amazon is also claiming to have support.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
RAVPower on amazon is also claiming to have support.
Can you post a link?

I can't help but be hesitant with that information until either the fast charge software update is out to test, or Apple begins selling RAVPower pads on their website with a clear statement that RAVPower will support the 7.5W charging on the new iPhones.

My understanding was while the iPhones supports the Qi standard up to 5W, special modifications may have been made for Apple's wireless 7.5W fast charge mode. I'm under the impression that only third party wireless chargers officially licensed and approved by Apple will/can support 7.5W charging speed. Right now those are only Belkin and Mophie.
[doublepost=1509564553][/doublepost]Saw the pad on RAVPower's website. No specs mentioned. Included fast charger AC adaptor is Qualcomm based, which I believe Apple wasn't using for wireless fast charging tech, right?

Last I heard just because an existing Qi charger supports more than 5W for other devices doesn't mean it will eventually support more than 5W after the upcoming software update on iPhones. Thats my impression at least.

Last edited:

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
If you go to their facebook, they posted a YouTube video showing their claims for support. If you look at the comments, there’s a nearly 40% off discount - knocks the price down to $31!
The iDB video? They just seem to be reiterating what RAVPower says in their marketing. I'm finding it hard to believe their claim unless they've somehow secretly acquired Apple's fast change iOS update.

Anyone know if Apple has confirmed that wireless 7.5W charging will work with non-MFi wireless charger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.