Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biopig

Suspended
May 15, 2014
Question can you turn off the “fast charging” so the fan doesn’t come on?

Also how much was it? I see a Samsung fast charger at Best Buy for 80 dollars but than another for 40?

Also why would you say iPhone x won’t benefit from fast charging? It also includes it.
[doublepost=1509223677][/doublepost]Looks like that’s the convertible Samsung charger that is 80.

Also, Samsung is only one with fast charging that will probably work with iphone update later this year?

Also only one that is a stand. I think since most I see lie flat.
You cannot turn off the fast charging on the charger but you can do it on the phone that supports fast charging, in my case a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

A 2016 model of samsung fast charger shud cost only 40 bucks while it’s not convertible. The 2017 model which is for S8 is more expensive but it gives you the convenience of convertible, I think it’s the 80 dollars one.

About fast charging, Apple says iPhone X supports it but didn’t say if it is about wired charging or wireless one. According to the fact that Apple would like to roll out features slowly, my guess is that the fast charging on iPhone X would be available only when it’s plugged in. When in fast wireless charging mode, the Samsung wireless charger works at 9.0V - 1.67A (=15W) which is much higher than 7.5W, the power iPhone X can handle at fast charging mode. The samsung charger still can work at a lower power of 5.0V - 2.0A (=10W) which is the standard power and close to the Apple Fast charging power.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
You cannot turn off the fast charging on the charger but you can do it on the phone that supports fast charging, in my case a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

A 2016 model of samsung fast charger shud cost only 40 bucks while it’s not convertible. The 2017 model which is for S8 is more expensive but it gives you the convenience of convertible, I think it’s the 80 dollars one.

About fast charging, Apple says iPhone X supports it but didn’t say if it is about wired charging or wireless one. According to the fact that Apple would like to roll out features slowly, my guess is that the fast charging on iPhone X would be available only when it’s plugged in. When in fast wireless charging mode, the Samsung wireless charger works at 9.0V - 1.67A (=15W) which is much higher than 7.5W, the power iPhone X can handle at fast charging mode. The samsung charger still can work at a lower power of 5.0V - 2.0A (=10W) which is the standard power and close to the Apple Fast charging power.
I was referring to the fast wireless charge that apple was going to activiate with software. i believe 7.5 watts. that should work with the samsung wireless charger.

also i found this on amazon. is this not authentic.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wire...sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+fast+wireless+charger

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
there are some listings for the samsung fast charger on ebay that don't include the fast charge wall adapter. isn't this strange? why would they advertise an item as OEM when the accessories aren't included?

what wall adapter and cable are we supposed to use instead?

kart

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
AU
Has anyone looked into the BlitzWolf QI charger? Says that it only charges iPhone X/8 upto 5w.. Does anyone know whether it will support fast charge for iPhone when/if Apple do the update?
I couldn't see why it wouldn't do the fast charge..?

Last edited:

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
I think I’m going to go with the Mophie charger until Airpower comes out.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So after much consternation at getting the "right" charger I decided on the regular 2A Samsung on Amazon. I really wanted a stand but could find only one near $20 that was Qi Certified -- the TYLT. The problem with the TYLT for me was it came with a proprietary wall charger rather than using USB. You can go HERE to see if the charger you are looking for is Qi Certified if that matters to you. Most chargers are not. But even if it is certified doesn't mean it's quality or flawed. It's kind of like a product with a UL rating.

I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money because I suspect 2018 will bring new Qi products that support Apple's fast charge. I will spend $ on a big pad similar to what Apple showed off where I can charge my phone, AW, AirPod together. That's when the wireless magic really starts for me. This is just to tie me over.

BTW be aware there are a lot of fake Samsung chargers on eBay -- mostly the fast charge version. There is a YouTube video that shows the difference between the fake and real. I bought "ships and sold by Amazon" to make sure I got a genuine unit.

Reactions: jeblis

mrl72

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
there are some listings for the samsung fast charger on ebay that don't include the fast charge wall adapter. isn't this strange? why would they advertise an item as OEM when the accessories aren't included?

what wall adapter and cable are we supposed to use instead?

Any usb 2.0/3.0 wall adapter.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I also want to buy wireless charger for my new iPhone. anyone try these one? These one says that "allowing your device to position vertically or horizontally when charging".

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Essen...70&sr=1-26&keywords=iphone+x+wireless+charger

https://www.amazon.com/Seneo-Wirele...895&sr=1-4&keywords=iphone+x+wireless+charger

I have both, actually Spigen F300W, it stopped working after about 2 months, but the worst thing is that before it stopped, it used to wake me in the night as my phone connected/disconnected intermittently. Also the LED at the bottom is VERY bright at night.

I also had TYLT VU Qi, which is the same design as the Spigen, and that one lasted about a year before starting to show the same intermittent cycling issues.

I recently chose to buy the Seneo Qi and it's working great, the LED is nicely visible and elegant, not annoying at all like Spigen's. No intermittent issues so far. I really liked Spigen's angled design, but now I prefer Seneo's more upright position and the smaller base footprint. I'd highly recommend it.

3DqY8g8.jpg

tomowl

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2015
Anyone have any experience with the wireless chargers from IKEA? Like the lamps, bedside table and pads themselves?

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
Tempted to pass on a wireless charger until the fast charging 7.5W update comes out. I'd rather go for one of the cheaper Qi chargers if they support the 7.5W output. Right now I'm confused if the 7.5W charging will be limited to Apple licensed chargers (only Mophie and Belkin right now), or if any charger that can output to at least 7.5W will support the faster charging.

Sometimes I really wish Apple would be more transparent in these types of situations.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Tempted to pass on a wireless charger until the fast charging 7.5W update comes out. I'd rather go for one of the cheaper Qi chargers if they support the 7.5W output. Right now I'm confused if the 7.5W charging will be limited to Apple licensed chargers (only Mophie and Belkin right now), or if any charger that can output to at least 7.5W will support the faster charging.

Sometimes I really wish Apple would be more transparent in these types of situations.

That’s why I ordered the under $10 ones on monoprice until the apple one comes out next year. Don’t want to spend a lot of money on these temporary ones. Looking forward to being able to charge everything on one pad.

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
That’s why I ordered the under $10 ones on monoprice until the apple one comes out next year. Don’t want to spend a lot of money on these temporary ones. Looking forward to being able to charge everything on one pad.
Fair enough. I would only be using a X on a wireless pad, so waiting for the AirPower seems like a waste for my situation.... that is unless the AirPower charges even faster than 7.5W.... then again I could easily see Apple charging $100+ for the AirPower, which would obviously be hard to swallow.

Guess I'll just wait it out until the iPhone wireless charging market matures. At least I have a spare iPad charger for fast charging in meantime.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Fair enough. I would only be using a X on a wireless pad, so waiting for the AirPower seems like a waste for my situation.... that is unless the AirPower charges even faster than 7.5W.... then again I could easily see Apple charging $100+ for the AirPower, which would obviously be hard to swallow.

Guess I'll just wait it out until the iPhone wireless charging market matures. At least I have a spare iPad charger for fast charging in meantime.
The monoprice ones are wireless. And under $10.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
What wall charger are you going to use with the monoprice ones? I'm thinking about getting a couple of the monoprice ones for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.