Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I thought it did. They mentioned in the keynote that their wireless charging uses the qi standard.
they did but the airpower also charges the apple watch and when i put my aw on my qi chargers nothing happens. thats why im curious.
I have a new car with wireless charging that is the qi standard but is not listed as compatible with the X by Apple. I wonder why not.
if its qi it should work.

Reactions: Aibocyrus

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Is there a minimum or maximum wattage you must have to get "Fast Charge" capabilities? Does a 8W make a difference compared to a 10W or 20W charger?

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
I just got that RAV Power unit. Can't say how it works with an iPhone because I'm waiting on the X, but it works well on my work S7.

Caveat is it ships with an extremely short USB cable (maybe 18 inches) and no wall plug.

Which is why I linked to that 18W QC adapter. And most everyone has good micro USB cables.

All the third party ones seem bleh and don’t include adapters. I’ll wait for the airpower from Apple

This is a good albeit slightly pricy option: RAVPower Fast Wireless Charger

Last edited:

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
What’s the fastest standard for Qi wireless right now? 18W? I want to futureproof my investment.

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
I got an error link when I clicked on it
[doublepost=1509012797][/doublepost]
I heard it stops charging once it reaches 100 though

I updated my post with the working amazon link, but it's now out of stock. The prospective iPhone X buyers probably snapped the last few. Glad I got mine for only $10.99
EDIT: I got the lower priced one - identical specs, hard plastic housing vs metal.

[doublepost=1509107713][/doublepost]
What’s the fastest standard for Qi wireless right now? 18W? I want to futureproof my investment.

Yup, 18W is plenty. I don't know of any devices needing more than 3A or 9V. The higher wattage adapters give you only marginal improvements in charging speed (compared with increasing the current, like OnePlus does for their Dashcharge). Look for a USB PD adapter, for best fast charging of iPhone direct with Apple's USB-C cable.

Last edited:

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Hello all,

Now that we have placed our pre orders, does anyone know a good wireless charger I should order now so it's here when the phone arrives next Friday?

I want to get 3, two for the house (two iPhones pre ordered) and one for the office.

Any ideas? Amazon?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Looking for cheap fast and reliable

For my X preorder :D

Want to keep it at or under $30 ideally for mat or pad and ac adapter combo.

Amazon purchase or Best Buy with amazon.com ship and sold or something else PM at Best Buy preferred

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
How is this so expensive in general minus the sale price?

I still have to buy an ac adapter? How much is that to get the job done well with the X

Just look at my earlier post for the links. It cost me a total of 17.98 total for a RAVPower qi fast charger and an 18W adapter.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just look at my earlier post for the links. It cost me a total of 17.98 total for a RAVPower qi fast charger and an 18W adapter.

Dang I'll have to use Amazon chat and see if they'll let me add that $6 add on

Isn't it just 7.5w wireless charge ?

Would a 10w iPad charge brick workcthe same ? Thx

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
Dang I'll have to use Amazon chat and see if they'll let me add that $6 add on

Isn't it just 7.5w wireless charge ?

Would a 10w iPad charge brick workcthe same ? Thx

The iPad adapter should work but the 18W one also is QC 3.0 compliant.

From the description:
Tips for Optimal Usage: Charge full throttle by using a 15W or higher QC2.0 / QC3.0 adapter;

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The iPad adapter should work but the 18W one also is QC 3.0 compliant.

From the description:
Tips for Optimal Usage: Charge full throttle by using a 15W or higher QC2.0 / QC3.0 adapter;

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wire...8592&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+wireless+charger

Any opinion of like this one? Comes with ac adapter. Looksnnice. And lik another $10 or so out of pocket which I'm ok with considering Samsung is a huge name brand

The cord on that ravpower is short apparently and it looks too extreme An angle I like slightly reclined more

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Ok so to check, while you want to avoid Quick Charge branded cable chargers since iPhone doesn’t use Quick charge standard and just uses USB C at 18w+, does this matter for wireless? Can a Qi charger labeled as Quick Charge 3.0 or similar give 7.5w, 10w, etc to iPhone just fine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.