Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've been grazing Amazon's selection. I'm a bit baffled because Qi is a standard but not all Qi chargers work with iPhones -- either per reviews or stated in item description. So what exactly do I need to look for? Also noticed one charger specifically said it didn't work with cases more than 4mm thick. Is that a problem or just with this one I was looking at?

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I've been grazing Amazon's selection. I'm a bit baffled because Qi is a standard but not all Qi chargers work with iPhones -- either per reviews or stated in item description. So what exactly do I need to look for? Also noticed one charger specifically said it didn't work with cases more than 4mm thick. Is that a problem or just with this one I was looking at?
Pretty much all of them are supposed to say the 4mm thing. That’s standard.

But absolutely any Qi wireless charger works with iPhone. That’s why it is a standard, so I don’t know what charger you’ve seen that says it won’t work...

iphoneuser227

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Is the standard iPhone AC adapter fine for these wireless chargers without adapters included if I don't care about speed?

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just ordered the Anker charger from Amazon. I like their portable batteries, so I imagine the charger should be pretty good too.

mrl72

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Has anyone thought about what will happen if you put the X on a desk charging stand with face id potentially scanning you the entire time?

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
Has anyone thought about what will happen if you put the X on a desk charging stand with face id potentially scanning you the entire time?

If the screen is off it won't do anything, if it's on it will unlock if you look directly at it.

biopig

Suspended
May 15, 2014
I have a Samsung wireless fast charger, a Samsung mini wireless charger, and a mophie wireless charge base came with the battery case for iPhone 6s. Seems like I don't have to buy any more wireless charger.

Reactions: Hoosier317

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I have a Samsung wireless fast charger, a Samsung mini wireless charger, and a mophie wireless charge base came with the battery case for iPhone 6s. Seems like I don't have to buy any more wireless charger.
I am thinking about buying that fast charger by Samsung. The white one. How do you like it??

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I picked up a desk lamp for my office from IKEA that has a Qi charging pad built in, and a bedside lamp from IKEA that also has wireless charging built in. I also have the Mophie one that Apple sells, another Mophie for travel, and a Mophie external battery that has Qi wireless charging built in. I think I'm set for a while.

biopig

Suspended
May 15, 2014
I am thinking about buying that fast charger by Samsung. The white one. How do you like it??
It has a fan which will produces tiny little bit noice, when in fast charging mode and in a quiet room. I can barely hear it since it's 2 feet away from where I sleep, but it annoys some ppl who wrote some negative reviews about this charger on Amazon. BTW I doubt the iPhone X could benefit from the fast charging so probably it won't trigger the noise by the fan.

Overall I like it so much that I totally would recommend it. :) There are different types of Samsung wireless charger so pay attention to the name of them may or may not contain keyword "FAST".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I've noticed most Qi chargers on Amazon do not come with an adapter. This is my first foray into wireless charging so I'm unsure about it's efficiency. Will the standard Apple 5w adapter be sufficient for a 3hr full charge? Or do I need to buy something more robust? If so what?

mrl72

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
I've noticed most Qi chargers on Amazon do not come with an adapter. This is my first foray into wireless charging so I'm unsure about it's efficiency. Will the standard Apple 5w adapter be sufficient for a 3hr full charge? Or do I need to buy something more robust? If so what?

IOS 11 can only handle a 5W charge so you are good with the adapter that comes with your phone. Once IOS 11 turns on fast wireless charging (7.5W) you'll have to use a USB 3.0 adapter ($10 on Amazon). Also make sure the wireless charger you get accepts the faster wattage ie 7.5W or over so you are future proofed once Apple decide to turn this feature on.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
IOS 11 can only handle a 5W charge so you are good with the adapter that comes with your phone. Once IOS 11 turns on fast wireless charging (7.5W) you'll have to use a USB 3.0 adapter ($10 on Amazon). Also make sure the wireless charger you get accepts the faster wattage ie 7.5W or over so you are future proofed once Apple decide to turn this feature on.

Appreciate the info. So once iOS 11 updates the 7.5w will be a requirement or just an option if you want fast charging? Asking because I'm looking to spend the least amount of $ now as I'll likely buy Apple's wireless pad when it comes out next year. So whatever I buy now is just temporary.

Ryhian

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Orlando, FL
For those who go have knowledge on Qi chargers I have a few questions.

I’m looking for a ‘puck’ or pad style for my nightstand. Speed isn’t a concern as it’ll be used for overnight charging. If I buy a standard puck or pad and plug the usb cable into a 5w adapter (say iPhone) will it cause any issues aside from possibly not charging at fastest possible speeds?

For the office I’m looking for a stand style charger. Most of the stands I see have the lip at the bottom to hold the phone, but if I want to plug in headphones with lighting adapter it appears I’d have to turn the phone sideways. Are there any stands that allow phones to be vertical and have some type of cutout or hole near the bottom to plug into the lighting port?

Reactions: rwings01

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Appreciate the info. So once iOS 11 updates the 7.5w will be a requirement or just an option if you want fast charging? Asking because I'm looking to spend the least amount of $ now as I'll likely buy Apple's wireless pad when it comes out next year. So whatever I buy now is just temporary.
Option
[doublepost=1509197720][/doublepost]
For those who go have knowledge on Qi chargers I have a few questions.

I’m looking for a ‘puck’ or pad style for my nightstand. Speed isn’t a concern as it’ll be used for overnight charging. If I buy a standard puck or pad and plug the usb cable into a 5w adapter (say iPhone) will it cause any issues aside from possibly not charging at fastest possible speeds?

For the office I’m looking for a stand style charger. Most of the stands I see have the lip at the bottom to hold the phone, but if I want to plug in headphones with lighting adapter it appears I’d have to turn the phone sideways. Are there any stands that allow phones to be vertical and have some type of cutout or hole near the bottom to plug into the lighting port?
Can’t you just put the phone upside down? There’s also some very affordable Bluetooth earbuds available for purchase these days.

Reactions: Chupa Chupa

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
None. I just don't see the convenience. I always use the iPhone in bed while it's charging so that wouldn't work on a pad. ;)

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
It has a fan which will produces tiny little bit noice, when in fast charging mode and in a quiet room. I can barely hear it since it's 2 feet away from where I sleep, but it annoys some ppl who wrote some negative reviews about this charger on Amazon. BTW I doubt the iPhone X could benefit from the fast charging so probably it won't trigger the noise by the fan.

Overall I like it so much that I totally would recommend it. :) There are different types of Samsung wireless charger so pay attention to the name of them may or may not contain keyword "FAST".
Question can you turn off the “fast charging” so the fan doesn’t come on?

Also how much was it? I see a Samsung fast charger at Best Buy for 80 dollars but than another for 40?

Also why would you say iPhone x won’t benefit from fast charging? It also includes it.
[doublepost=1509223677][/doublepost]Looks like that’s the convertible Samsung charger that is 80.

Also, Samsung is only one with fast charging that will probably work with iphone update later this year?

Also only one that is a stand. I think since most I see lie flat.

AppleChic76

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
What Qi chargers are you buying for your 8, 8+ or X? From where?

I got this one because I wanted white/clear to match my bedroom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073W4WR9D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[doublepost=1509238221][/doublepost]
Light up rings sound good unless you put it in your room and the light distracts you from sleeping...

The one that I purchased lights up at first and then the light goes off; probably for this very reason. LOL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.