Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
So the Mophie and Belkin are the only ones that allow fast charging wirelessly?
people are afraid that apple will only allow fast charging on the belkin and mophie and not unsupported chargers. (from what i gather online) i don't know how they can limit it though

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
So the Mophie and Belkin are the only ones that allow fast charging wirelessly?

No one knows yet. If Apple's implementation is pure QI then yes. If Apple has done something special (e.g. as a special Airpower mode, or a special handshake to enable 7.5W mode) then the answer is more unsure. If Mophie and Belkin can do it, I'm sure others will be able to copy it, but there's no guarantee that older chargers would be supported.

I know Samsung has special support for telling chargers that they are full (and changing the charge LED to green) - I wouldn't put past Apple. Apple Watch chargers are 'almost QI' but not quite...
[doublepost=1510263569][/doublepost]... and both Mophie and Belkin are claiming they have the 'secret sauce' and only they will work with 7.5W. Don't know if I believe that though.

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
people are afraid that apple will only allow fast charging on the belkin and mophie and not unsupported chargers. (from what i gather online) i don't know how they can limit it though

Yeah I don’t know how Apple would stop other chargers from doing the same thing. If I had the power, I don’t think the phone knows what wireless charger it is.

Saleshark

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Leeds
Well my iPhone X is being delivered tomorrow so I’ve bit the bullet and bought the Anker one for now, hoping it works with fast charge when enabled.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
No one knows yet. If Apple's implementation is pure QI then yes. If Apple has done something special (e.g. as a special Airpower mode, or a special handshake to enable 7.5W mode) then the answer is more unsure. If Mophie and Belkin can do it, I'm sure others will be able to copy it, but there's no guarantee that older chargers would be supported.

I know Samsung has special support for telling chargers that they are full (and changing the charge LED to green) - I wouldn't put past Apple. Apple Watch chargers are 'almost QI' but not quite...
[doublepost=1510263569][/doublepost]... and both Mophie and Belkin are claiming they have the 'secret sauce' and only they will work with 7.5W. Don't know if I believe that though.

Ravpower is claiming their new pad has support for it too. The mophie and belkin ones are made for iPhone certified, so that may have something to do with it. They may just be Apple-sanctioned is all

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Does any wireless charger than works with iPhone also works on Apple Watch 3?

Yes, you just need to find one. It was reported, on several online sites, that some QI chargers work with the Apple Watch but I can't find a listing of the ones that do work. Someone posted a thread here for people to report if they've found such a wireless charger.
[doublepost=1510269418][/doublepost]
Ravpower is claiming their new pad has support for it too. The mophie and belkin ones are made for iPhone certified, so that may have something to do with it. They may just be Apple-sanctioned is all

That's nice to know. I'm not sure if the model I'm getting tomorrow is the newest model but I'll certainly check to see if it does, indeed, charge my Apple Watch Series 3.

Update:
Received my Ravpower wireless charging pad today. It does not charge my Apple Watch. I tried it on different positions on the pad but nothing happened.
That aside . . . I like the Ravpower wireless charger and glad I got it.

Last edited:

philipsony

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
Yes, you just need to find one. It was reported, on several online sites, that some QI chargers work with the Apple Watch but I can't find a listing of the ones that do work. Someone posted a thread here for people to report if they've found such a wireless charger.
[doublepost=1510269418][/doublepost]

That's nice to know. I'm not sure if the model I'm getting tomorrow is the newest model but I'll certainly check to see if it does, indeed, charge my Apple Watch Series 3.

i see, do keep us updated
if ravpower works for apple watch 3 then i am okay getting one from ravpower as well.

techishi

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
US
I just picked up the new RavPower here (not an affiliate link). Like others have said it says it will support fast charging (7.5w) for the new iPhones, whenever that update comes out. It actually supports up to 10w for certain Galaxy, Pixel, and Lumia phones too. I really doubt Apple is doing anything special so only the Belkin/Mophie can support 7.5w (like MFI or something). As far as I know, the wireless chargers just output their max wattage and the phone takes care of the rest.

I took a look at https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/developers/specification.html, which explains the versions of the Qi standard (what Apple is using). Airpower seems to be just a layer on top of Qi to support charging/battery information and passes that to be displayed on the phone. From the coverage I read about Airpower, Apple is working with the wireless power consortium to make Airpower work. It seems like a software layer, think AirPods + W1.

Side note, I chose the RavPower over the Mophie because it seemed a little less proprietary. The plug is a microusb instead of a non-module wall wart.

Stylnator

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
how do you use your phone while it is wirelessly charging? wouldn't you have to hold up the phone and the pad?

irideti

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
For those use RAVPower with iPhone X. Does your charger's LED turn solid green and shut off after the phone is fully charged? Mine doesn't.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I bought a Nokia DT-601 charging pad from amazon for £10.95. I didn’t realise it actually came with a 1.5A AC adapter. So that’s a pretty cheap all in one solution. I don’t know the specs but I’ll assume it’s a basic 5W charger. Seems to work at least in a quick 2 minute test.

I also bought a 2.4A amazon basics charger which I guess I don’t need anymore. But I might just keep it as a spare - it was only about £7.

Reactions: tony_glasgow

irideti

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Can someone help me so I can decide if i want to send it back due to defect? Does your RAVPower Fast Wireless Charger's LED turn solid green and shut off after the phone is fully charged? Mine doesn't. I'm using it with an iPhone X.

anish3232

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Lexington, KY
For those use RAVPower with iPhone X. Does your charger's LED turn solid green and shut off after the phone is fully charged? Mine doesn't.

Just got mine and used it last night. The LED was on this morning. Will test again tonight. I have 2 so I’ll see how both behave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.