Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
I have this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H76NIAS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plugged into an iPad charger and also installed 11.2 on my X. I'm not sure if fast charging is working, I am not sure how to tell, but it does seem to be charging faster...I haven't really done any "scientific" tests to verify though. Any way to tell?

Good question. Without additional equipment or something to compare against my best suggestion is to charge from 0% to 100% and time it. I’d expect a 5W charger to be roughly 3 hours for 0 to 100%. If you get nearer two then it’s working. But not very scientific.

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
Ok, I've bitten. Installed 11.2 beta 3, drained to 50%.

I'm using CHOETECH Fast Qi Wireless Charging Stand (allegedly 10W) + original adaptive Samsung S7 charger - will charge for one hour or so report back % improvement.
[doublepost=1510699467][/doublepost]

Update: 1 hr = 50% -> 78%

Doesn't look like its fast charging, but it's only a few hours since the iOS update so might have been background processing. Will try again tomorrow night.

Last edited:

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Ok, I've bitten. Installed 11.2 beta 3, drained to 50%.

I'm using CHOETECH Fast Qi Wireless Charging Stand (allegedly 10W) + original adaptive Samsung S7 charger - will charge for one hour or so report back % improvement.
[doublepost=1510699467][/doublepost]

Update: 1 hr = 50% -> 78%

Doesn't look like its fast charging, but it's only a few hours since the iOS update so might have been background processing. Will try again tomorrow night.

If you have a Mac, you can use http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Firstly, use iTunes (with an USB cable) to enable the wi-fi sync feature in your iPhone.

Then, use coconutBattery to wirelessly check the charging rate of the iPhone. To be able to check your iPhone stats wirelessly, you'll have to start coconutBattery trial (or buy the license). Go to coconutBattery -> Preferences (on Menu Bar).

It looks like this:
1Vlk01C.png

Reactions: tony_glasgow

tony_glasgow

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2015
UK
If you have a Mac, you can use http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Firstly, use iTunes (with an USB cable) to enable the wi-fi sync feature in your iPhone.

Then, use coconutBattery to wirelessly check the charging rate of the iPhone. To be able to check your iPhone stats wirelessly, you'll have to start coconutBattery trial (or buy the license). Go to coconutBattery -> Preferences (on Menu Bar).

After much ****ing around getting Wi-Fi Sync to work (I forgot how much I hated that 'feature'), I've managed to carry out your instructions.
  • So far, using both a 5W and 10W wireless charger, Coconut Battery is reporting a 6W charger o_O
  • For reference my plugging into MacBook via USB reports 10W, and into Apple USB C Fast Charger reports 12W.
My phone is almost fully charged - will run it down a bit and see if that changed values.

Final Update: Beginning charging at 40%

5W wireless charger: 6W
10W wireless charger: 6W
Macbook: 10W
Apple USB C charger: 16W

Conclusion: Either my Choetech charger is lying about being a Fast Charger (which I don't believe given Amazon reviews), or 7.5W charging is limited to Mophie/Belkin (as reported)

Last edited:

sjc83

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Cleveland

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Would love to get the RAVPower but there’s no signs of the stand actually coming other than concept pics... shame as otherwise I’d want that one

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I was reading the Wirecutter reviews and something popped up that being the WPC certification. I have to ask, is anyone bothered about the lack thereof in regards to RavPower, Anker, et all...

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I was reading the Wirecutter reviews and something popped up that being the WPC certification. I have to ask, is anyone bothered about the lack thereof in regards to RavPower, Anker, et all...
Nope. The phones will only draw as much power as they need, and I feel like chargers that have hundreds of positive reviews and are still being sold on Amazon are pretty unlikely to catch fire or something. RAVPower and Anker in particular are reliable and large brands.

Reactions: nmeed

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I purchased the black version of Belkin's BOOST↑UP charger (model# F7U014), assuming it would eventually be able to output 7.5W like the white one Apple sells (model# F7U027). I'm getting less confident as time goes on that despite being capable of charging at a max of 15W, it'll be capped at 5W. Belkin doesn't absolutely state that the black model will charge the new iPhones at 7.5W.

I'm not going to install the 11.2 beta on my phone, but hopefully more people like tony_glasgow test other 'unofficial' Qi chargers.

Last edited:

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I purchased the black version of Belkin's BOOST↑UP charger (model# F7U014), assuming it would eventually be able to output 7.5W like the white one Apple sells (model# F7U027). I'm getting less confident as time goes on that despite being capable of charging at a max of 15W, it'll be capped at 5W. Belkin doesn't absolutely state that the black model will charge the new iPhones at 7.5W.

I'm not going to install the 11.2 beta on my phone, but hopefully more people like tony_glasgow test other 'unofficial' Qi chargers.
It will do 7.5W

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010

They're not the same charger.

Belkin only sells one wireless charger designed specifically for iPhone and that's the white, circular model.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Add me to the Ikea camp. I purchased two of these for $19.99 ea. Not "Fast Charging" but they charge my X & 8+ quickly. Beautiful solid birch bezel, a recessed USB port on the front, and non-slip rubber feat. Comes with a 6 ft. cord & AC adapter. Fit & finish on both belied their price-points.

I've got one of these and a Samsung "Fast Charge" flat one - pretty pleased with both, and like the less techy look of the Ikea one (we're also testing the in-table Ikea ones for installation at work, so I may buy one of those, borrow the "saw" attachment and install one in a table at home). Although the only downside is having to be near an Ikea to get these, they have some pretty decent options if you don't need anything beyond 5W.

Chino3

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
AT&T hooked me up with a gang of accessories when I bought my iX. I ended up snagging the Belkin Qi charger, and it's great. I did take advantage of the RAV coupon code however, and grabbed 2 (one for the fiance and one for me). It's a trip how much smaller the RAV is! I was planning on having the 2 RAVs at home (to match on our nightstands) and have the Belkin at work or something, but the RAV is so tiny and inconspicuous that I might leave the RAV at work. hmmmm

Deltaray21

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
I've got one of these and a Samsung "Fast Charge" flat one - pretty pleased with both, and like the less techy look of the Ikea one (we're also testing the in-table Ikea ones for installation at work, so I may buy one of those, borrow the "saw" attachment and install one in a table at home). Although the only downside is having to be near an Ikea to get these, they have some pretty decent options if you don't need anything beyond 5W.

Well at based on this article, there’s little benefit getting a 7.5W wireless charger if charging speed is not your key motivator

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/15/7-5w-fast-wireless-charging-small-effect-on-qi-charging-speed/

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
Maybe this is a stupid question, because I've searched and haven't found an answer. I own the Samsung wireless charging stand and keep my phone (x) on it at my desk. Is safe to keep the phone on it once its fully charged or should I remove it? I like having it on a stand and was wondering if I should buy a non-charging one for when its fully charged.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleDior31

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
After much ****ing around getting Wi-Fi Sync to work (I forgot how much I hated that 'feature'), I've managed to carry out your instructions.
  • So far, using both a 5W and 10W wireless charger, Coconut Battery is reporting a 6W charger o_O
  • For reference my plugging into MacBook via USB reports 10W, and into Apple USB C Fast Charger reports 12W.
My phone is almost fully charged - will run it down a bit and see if that changed values.

Final Update: Beginning charging at 40%

5W wireless charger: 6W
10W wireless charger: 6W
Macbook: 10W
Apple USB C charger: 16W

Conclusion: Either my Choetech charger is lying about being a Fast Charger (which I don't believe given Amazon reviews), or 7.5W charging is limited to Mophie/Belkin (as reported)

On the bottom of the main window of coconutBattery, there's a line which says "Charging with". Drain your battery to 40% and check the "Charging with" value.

ddublu

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I got two of the RAV Power chargers today. They actually charge a little faster than the Choetech did but I can't find a spot for the magnet in my Caudabe case that will allow wireless charging to work while it's in there. Bummed but dont think I have many options.

Chino3

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
I got two of the RAV Power chargers today. They actually charge a little faster than the Choetech did but I can't find a spot for the magnet in my Caudabe case that will allow wireless charging to work while it's in there. Bummed but dont think I have many options.

Are you having trouble charging with your case on? My case is thick-ish (looking for a skin atm) and it charges fine on my RAV and Belkin

ddublu

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
Are you having trouble charging with your case on? My case is thick-ish (looking for a skin atm) and it charges fine on my RAV and Belkin

No, charging with the case on works fine. It's the addition of a 50 cent piece size magnet (anywhere) that throws it.

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Went with the Mophie, I know there are cheaper alternatives but they seem to have a good warranty. And I just want the peace of mind that it won't damage my $1300 phone.

Reactions: hamiltonrwatch

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn

If this helps others my RavPower $49.99 charger will wirelessly charge my iPhone X with an Otterbox Defender case on. I rarely have my battery go below 60% but thus far I've never noticed my phone getting overly warm after charging up.

I'm not sure how think the Caudable cases are but it definitely charges with an Otterbox Defender on an iPhone.

Reactions: Bedolaga
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.