Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
iPhone 8 running 11.2 public beta with a black Mophie charges from 45% to 100% in an hour or ~50-55 minutes. No status or blue light, fine for bedroom.

(Bought charger 6 weeks ago from Apple and was not fast charging a Samsung S8+.)

Udh20skier

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Can you see if the iPhone attaches to the magnet without the case on?
Ive been trying to find a strong enough magnet holder to use without a case.
thanks
No it doesnt stay put on the mount if you dont use a small magicplate or metal plate mounted on the back of the phone. This Scosche mount has 4 magnets in it and not even my heavy duty magnet (size of 1/2 dollar) will hold the phone. This specific magnet takes me prying it off my toolbox to get it to release.

Reactions: x-evil-x

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Just received one, other than the big "Fast Charge" on the front that is ugly and the short supplied USB cord it works very well so far with my iPhone X.
Strange, that text is not showing up in some of the customer images.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Does this stand work with a phone case on the phone? I am thinking of picking one (or two) of these up, but wanted to be sure it works with cases. My husband has an Otterbox Defender and I have a couple of Moshi options on the way. The Moshi options are relatively thin and I feel like they will work, but I wasn't sure about the Otterbox since it's so thick.
Not too sure I don’t have a case. I would imagine it would work fine with them as most work with thick cases

Reactions: UMRebel

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Every single one that I have seen is nothing short of an embarrassment to design. The only one that looks good is of course Apple’s which I’ll have to wait well into 2018 for.

That’s the same problem I’m having. Like seriously, can nobody design something nice? The electronics are pretty much standard. Take some time designing a nice enclosure.

I’ve been looking for something covered in fabric or leather for my bedside table. So far, no luck. Waiting for AirPower I guess.

Alternatively, I’m thinking of buying a cheap slim charger and then taking it apart and placing inside a leather mouse pad like this one:
AD6680_daMORMSEPAD_s1.jpg

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Y’all in this thread really over complicate things. Apple is using a STANDARD. They can’t selectively block just some chargers using the Qi standard.

I thought the issue is current wireless fast charging is a Samsung implementation, not a Qi standard.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Hmm got me the Belkin Boost Up 7.5w, but now I’m thinking about,“what do I have from this wanna be wireless charging?“. To me it still feels wired. And due to my other gadgets I still have cables lying around. Maybe I bring it back and stay wired. The only benefit of this wireless charging i see, is in a car, because it eliminates disturbing cables.

Hmmm dunno...

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
That’s the same problem I’m having. Like seriously, can nobody design something nice? The electronics are pretty much standard. Take some time designing a nice enclosure.

I’ve been looking for something covered in fabric or leather for my bedside table. So far, no luck. Waiting for AirPower I guess.

Alternatively, I’m thinking of buying a cheap slim charger and then taking it apart and placing inside a leather mouse pad like this one:
AD6680_daMORMSEPAD_s1.jpg

I did this but far less elegantly. Faux-leather business card holder, and I put a charging puck in the back. Was clumsy but it worked.

That fatboy pillow posted earlier is something you could consider, or make something like that? I like your idea though and might look at that as an option. Need to consider heat though if you strip a charging pad down to the bare coil?

Edit: hmm, maybe a leather sleeve for phones could be a good size.

Last edited:

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
Does this stand work with a phone case on the phone? I am thinking of picking one (or two) of these up, but wanted to be sure it works with cases. My husband has an Otterbox Defender and I have a couple of Moshi options on the way. The Moshi options are relatively thin and I feel like they will work, but I wasn't sure about the Otterbox since it's so thick.

I have a wooden charger (probably not the exact same brand as those, but identical in appearance) and a Moshi Stealthcover and my phone charges fine. :)

Reactions: UMRebel

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I thought the issue is current wireless fast charging is a Samsung implementation, not a Qi standard.
There’s dozens and dozens of chargers already available using the Qi standard, including Samsung chargers.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Just got the lower end Belkin Boost Up 5W wireless charging pad.

I leave my phone charging overnight and don't seem to see much difference between the 5W vs the more expensive 15W version.

What am I missing?

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Of all places I found a great stand charger at Walmart. Black Widow or some brand. Works in landscape OR portrait mode perfectly.

I think it was like $19.99. I bought 3 to keep around the adobe and love just picking the phone up or dropping it onto the charger.

Reactions: lykbutta

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
I am quite fond of the mophie one at the Apple store. It’s extremely solid and well-built. There’s no cheap plastic, vents, fans, or anything like that. And it works perfectly. Haven’t had a single disconnect, which I hear people complaining about in other wireless threads. And it seems to have the smallest form factor of any that I looked at when I was at Best Buy. It’s just a very impressive piece of hardware.

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HL812ZM/A

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I got this cool looking wooden one on Amazon for $18. Actually got it for free since they had some shipping errors.

It does the job. Im using the iPhone standard USB plug for it. Doesnt charge it any faster or slower than the cord (and yes I timed them to compare.)

Looks gorgeous and matches the wood finish of my desk.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I am quite fond of the mophie one at the Apple store. It’s extremely solid and well-built. There’s no cheap plastic, vents, fans, or anything like that. And it works perfectly. Haven’t had a single disconnect, which I hear people complaining about in other wireless threads. And it seems to have the smallest form factor of any that I looked at when I was at Best Buy. It’s just a very impressive piece of hardware.

+1

I love my Mophie! I actually decided on it based on this review at iLounge:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/mophie-wireless-charging-base

lykbutta

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
I bought the Insignia fast charger from Best Buy. $34.99 and supports the 7.5 w charge on the beta.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

Fully agree. We have two of these from the Apple store and they are perfect. Fantastic rubber grip, my phone when naked doesn’t slide around, the LED is very dim and isn’t noticeable in a dark bedroom and I can place the device anywhere on the pad for a charge. Plus Apple are ready to enable 7.5w charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.