Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I am a bit confused.

I read that wireless fast charge will be enabled in iOS 11.2 or something. But will it only support Apple's certified wireless chargers or any 3rd Party Wireless chargers as well?

I saw this wireless charger from Spigen at a store and it looks nice. It has 2 coils and supports fast charging at 9V.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/qi-charging/products/f303w-wireless-fast-charger

Will it be supported after the new iOS update?
As of the current beta, it supports third party fast wireless chargers.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
In my case, no thank you. I can get a real Apple 12 W 2.4 A charger for under US$20 and it will still charge my upcoming iPhone 8 (256 GB Silver) way faster than trying to charge it on a Qi charging pad.

deleder2k

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2016
I wouldn't pay a dime for 5W versus 7.5. One can get okay looking wireless chargers for $2-10. I agree with many others; if you need fast charging then buy a 12W or a 29W charger.

I'll buy a cheap one, and then I'll reconsider it when Apple is doing 15 watts.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
In my case, no thank you. I can get a real Apple 12 W 2.4 A charger for under US$20 and it will still charge my upcoming iPhone 8 (256 GB Silver) way faster than trying to charge it on a Qi charging pad.
Ya but that’s not what this discussion is about, even though that keeps getting repeated in this thread. Most of us get it, if I need a real fast charge, I’ll hook up my iPad charger. The focus on this thread is fast wireless charging, even though 5w to 7.5w isn’t a huge leap.

For me, it’s the convenience factor. It’s easier for me to set my phone down in the same, habitual locations on top of a wireless charger. Reduces the amount of times I have to go, “ahhh I’m low on battery and now I have to connect my iPad charger up.” At work or at home, I’m usually above 80% thanks to the wireless chargers.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Best Buy is doing 25% off 3 or more select mobile accessories for those looking to purchase multiple chargers (or a combo of chargers and cases).

They have the blue Samsung Wireless Charging pad on sale for $25. 3 comes out to 56.25 (18.75 each) plus tax. Unfortunately they limited it to 1 per customer online. Not sure if the same limit applies in store.

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Tapatalk thought I’d be interested in this discussion. Reading the last few posts, I can say this wireless charger is the best of both worlds. I connect an Apple 12w charger to it and a lightning cable to the extra USB port. I’ve charged both my iPhone X wirelessly and my other iOS devices at the same time with no issue. You can have both options at an inexpensive price-
Woodeey Qi Fast Wireless Charging Stand with Extra USB Charging Port
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QD135M

Reactions: Sheldonsmith

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
Best Buy is doing 25% off 3 or more select mobile accessories for those looking to purchase multiple chargers (or a combo of chargers and cases).

They have the blue Samsung Wireless Charging pad on sale for $25. 3 comes out to 56.25 (18.75 each) plus tax. Unfortunately they limited it to 1 per customer online. Not sure if the same limit applies in store.

It is not limited in the store. We picked up our X's at BB tonight as well as a case, 2 screen protectors and 2 Samsung wireless charging pads. With all accessories 25% off, we ended up paying a little under $19 each for the charging pads.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Does anyone have the Baseus wireless charger: https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-Wirel...076DBMHJS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Any thoughts or comments? Is it 7.5W compatible?

There's one comment on there that the charger melted when charging overnight (!?)
I got this delivered earlier today from Amazon. It's quite strange....when I plugged it in with my 5W iPhone adapter, the charging was going on and off and on and off every 10 seconds or so. I thought something was wrong with the adapter and so used it with another 5W iPhone adapter...the same thing happened. Then I plugged it in to my laptop and it charged fine. Then I tried it with the 12W iPad adapter and it charges fine.

I'm draining my iPhone battery to zero right now. I'll use the 12W adapter later and see whether fast-charging works.

Note: All the adapters are original Apple ones.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

RS232

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009
London, United Kingdom
Tried my Nokia DT-601 charger yesterday. £10 from Amazon UK and it includes the AC adapter too. Only 5W but very small and discreet - went for the white one.

Charged my phone fine overnight, and I was using Sleep Cycle as well with the screen turned off. I only noticed this morning that the charger has a tiny white LED but it is very dim and didn't disturb me at all (I like my room really dark when sleeping).

For that price I might get one for the office too, but honestly the battery life is good enough so far that I might not need it.

I got a Nokia DT-601 in white too for my iPhone X and works a treat on my bedside table. As mentioned, I liked the 'very small and discreet' design and it's well made. Have a look on eBay and you can grab a new one for £6.99!

Reactions: mrklaw

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I got this delivered earlier today from Amazon. It's quite strange....when I plugged it in with my 5W iPhone adapter, the charging was going on and off and on and off every 10 seconds or so. I thought something was wrong with the adapter and so used it with another 5W iPhone adapter...the same thing happened. Then I plugged it in to my laptop and it charged fine. Then I tried it with the 12W iPad adapter and it charges fine.

I'm draining my iPhone battery to zero right now. I'll use the 12W adapter later and see whether fast-charging works.

Note: All the adapters are original Apple ones.

You should not use the 5w adapters.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
You should not use the 5w adapters.
Ah, ok! May I ask the reason? The accompanying manuals were all in Chinese....So I couldn't read about this anywhere. But for what it's worth, it took the same amount of time to charge the phone from 0 to 100 as it took with a 5W adapter with another wireless charger I have (around 3 hrs)

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Just received the Baseus charger and it’s a pretty solid build.

I’ve tried both flat and vertical orientations and both charged wirelessly without problems.

Will test it overnight and report back if there are issues.

So far I’m pretty happy with it.

Re instructions, the one I got had English translated instructions, even though the grammar is off you could still understand what they meant.

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Ah, ok! May I ask the reason? The accompanying manuals were all in Chinese....So I couldn't read about this anywhere. But for what it's worth, it took the same amount of time to charge the phone from 0 to 100 as it took with a 5W adapter with another wireless charger I have (around 3 hrs)

Because Apple’s 5W adapters only provide 1A and you need at least 2A for these Qi wireless pads, which the iPad 10W and 12W adapters have.

Reactions: TruBleu

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
According to the spec sheet, yes.

This depends on:
Apple update
Wall charger with 2.0A min output

Where is this spec sheet?

That's great news!

I already have 10W (2.1A) and 12W (2.4A) iPad chargers that I can use since the little plug that comes with the X is only 5W (1A)

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Where is this spec sheet?

That's great news!

I already have 10W (2.1A) and 12W (2.4A) iPad chargers that I can use since the little plug that comes with the X is only 5W (1A)

From the description in the link. It says 10W output.

Your iPad chargers are good!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
From the description in the link. It says 10W output.

Your iPad chargers are good!

Gotcha, thanks! So when it says Fast Charge is only available on those non-iPhones, that is talking about 10W correct? Since the max wireless iPhone charge is going to be 7.5W with the next update

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Gotcha, thanks! So when it says Fast Charge is only available on those non-iPhones, that is talking about 10W correct? Since the max wireless iPhone charge is going to be 7.5W with the next update

Simply speaking, correct.

I think It’s better for the battery (long term anyway) if one does multiple ‘slow’ charges here and there throughout the day.

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I think the most important thing we can all learn from this thread, if confirmed, is that the iPad 10W and 12W chargers, i.e., all iPad Chargers, can be the AC adapters for ANY Fast Charge QI wireless charger. We likely do NOT have to run out buying these inexpensive, or potentially not reputable, AC adapters just to fit the bill.

TVreporter

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I think the most important thing we can all learn from this thread, if confirmed, is that the iPad 10W and 12W chargers, i.e., all iPad Chargers, can be the AC adapters for ANY Fast Charge QI wireless charger. We likely do NOT have to run out buying these inexpensive, or potentially not reputable, AC adapters just to fit the bill.

For those who don't own iPad chargers, can someone recommend a good one to pair with a charger?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.