Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Can anyone confirm that these chargers work well with the Spigen Tough Armor case?

I think some will work better than others. You'll want to measure the thickness of the case in mm and see what the chargers says it supports.

Unless someone can give me a good reason not to...I think I'm going to buy this one:
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/5185/iON-Wireless-Fast-Charging-Stand-_Grey_

It advertises the ability to charge through a 7mm case (not why I want it though).

Can anyone tell me if this charger might perform better if it were to use a USB-PD capable power supply? (In other words, any reason to upgrade from the included 18W USB-A power supply?)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Google is holding a Pixel event next Tuesday. One of the leaks is Pixel Stand wireless charger.

As to be expected, when Pixel 3 is docked, Pixel does few special things, such as switching to a UI more optimized for interacting in a dock.

But the stand might work with any other phones, including iPhones. So if it is priced right, and the design seems tasteful enough from this angle, another candidate to consider? I also like that it uses USB-C connector.

google_pixel_stand_leaked_render_1.jpg

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
are they reliable. I don't know much about the brands besides morphie and Belkin. I think Anker is good, but when did apple allow 7.5w on other wireless chargers?

I think they are reliable and have heard good things about this brand in some reviews. If you look at the black version on Amazon it has 4.5 stars from almost 3000 reviews. Can’t really beat the price either

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
does most wireless charger work with the iphone with case?

Most of them do, but it just really depends on the case and the charger. If the case is too think it sometimes won't work. You have to check the specs on the individual charger. It will tell you the maximum thickness allowed for the case. For instance the wireless charger I have will works as long as the case is no more than 7mm thick

Reactions: ipos

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Most of them do, but it just really depends on the case and the charger. If the case is too think it sometimes won't work. You have to check the specs on the individual charger. It will tell you the maximum thickness allowed for the case. For instance the wireless charger I have will works as long as the case is no more than 7mm thick

And not metal

Reactions: gsucyclist

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I have a Mophie puck at the moment and my new XS Max is sliding off it at night so I'm not getting a charge! Anyone spoken to Mophie / Apple about this? Any chance of a replacement?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have a Mophie puck at the moment and my new XS Max is sliding off it at night so I'm not getting a charge! Anyone spoken to Mophie / Apple about this? Any chance of a replacement?

The same thing seems to be happening with my Anker “puck” wireless charger too. Although it’s not my main charger and I don’t use it that much.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
I ended up getting the Yootech wireless charger from Amazon for 14 dollars and I love it. I just plugged it into the wall using the wall plug Apple provides and while it isn't fast charging, it still charged quickly enough for my needs. I really like how the bottom of the charger lights up for about 10 seconds when I start charging. I'm pleased I went this route instead of paying the 50 I was considering buying an Apple recommended charger.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ended up buying the iOttie iON Stand charger. Really like the look of it. Doesn't look like some piece of tech sitting in our living room. So far I've only charged my phone overnight and it fully charged without issue. I'll get a better idea of how well it performs in the coming days.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Google is holding a Pixel event next Tuesday. One of the leaks is Pixel Stand wireless charger.

As to be expected, when Pixel 3 is docked, Pixel does few special things, such as switching to a UI more optimized for interacting in a dock.

But the stand might work with any other phones, including iPhones. So if it is priced right, and the design seems tasteful enough from this angle, another candidate to consider? I also like that it uses USB-C connector.

google_pixel_stand_leaked_render_1.jpg
It looks interesting. Just make sure the bottom edge is free so you can swipe to Home Screen - the new Pixels have a thick chin, so they won't be impacted by a lip on the bottom of this wireless stand, but the iPhone may.

Kaffebreak

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
Also got the Logitech Powered Stand. Works perfectly at my night stand. Only thing would be the light that indicates the charging. Subtle but still just a tiny bit to bright for a bedroom. Would like to have an option to turn it off and the stand should be perfect even at night.

cydeweyz

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I got an email from Monoprice this morning. I’m already tapped out with 5 stands and one pad, but if anyone is interested, this is a good deal-
bd95052468b9fe4a80bf0963f12b64a0.png

trapstar

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2018
I think I’ve decided on the Belkin Boost Up Special Edition (space gray).

Edit: Or maybe the Logitech stand lol.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.