Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Thanks.

There was another Wall charger in store which had 2 x USB-A & 1 x USB-C (PD) ports. I was about to grab that one instead (for future proofing), but decided to trial the cheapest wireless charging setup for now. I may still swap them over. The below seems decent value for money...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/wall-charger/2521305

This second one seems like a much better buy, for $10 more you get an additional 18W USB-C charger? I’d return yours for this one.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
This second one seems like a much better buy, for $10 more you get an additional 18W USB-C charger? I’d return yours for this one.
I think I will today, broadbean.

Question on the “Smart 2A” ports - does this also mean the ports know when the phone is fully charged & then stop providing power & hence the LED on my charger will turn off (which would be good)?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I think I will today, broadbean.

Question on the “Smart 2A” ports - does this also mean the ports know when the phone is fully charged & then stop providing power & hence the LED on my charger will turn off (which would be good)?

The device controls what level of power is drawn, and when the process is complete, not the adapter.

"Smart" ports on an adapter refer to the fact that they can respond to the needs of the various devices and their charging standards At first, this was through passive detection based on the electrical values of the data pins on the USB connectors. Today, the modern standards have active negotiation protocols to better help tell the adapter what it needs to deliver.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The device controls what level of power is drawn, and when the process is complete, not the adapter.

"Smart" ports on an adapter refer to the fact that they can respond to the needs of the various devices and their charging standards At first, this was through passive detection based on the electrical values of the data pins on the USB connectors. Today, the modern standards have active negotiation protocols to better help tell the adapter what it needs to deliver.
Thanks again. :D

I've swapped the adapters over. So now with a USB-C port, I can take my pick from any third party fast charger on Amazon should the need arise in future.

Total outlay of AU$45. Not bad. :cool:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks again. :D

I've swapped the adapters over. So now with a USB-C port, I can take my pick from any third party fast charger on Amazon should the need arise in future.

Well, not any, unless that refers to a charger which accepts USB PD or Quick Charge 4 input.

Quick Charge and USB PD are still different standards, and although QC 4 will be compatible with USB PD protocols, older versions are not, so a charger purchased now or in the near future won't necessarily take advantage of the greater headroom PD offers, though there is backward compatibility to fall upon.

QC gained a foothold because it attained a level of critical mass before USB PD did, and is still more prevalent, though the latter is building steam.

In a perfect world, they will all eventually adopt USB PD, because it's non-proprietary and defined by the USB IF, as well as having the greatest headroom, but with things like this, it's not purely based on technology.

Some, like Apple, have planted their flag in the USB PD camp, but there are still proprietary fast charging standards being pushed, by Samsung, Motorola, Oppo, Huawei and others, in addition to Qualcomm.

Wireless chargers have relative modest power needs, and don't sell for much money, so whatever is easily attainable and cheap will probably win out, which bodes well for PD. There are still a lot of chargers on the market that aren't Qi-certified, because their manufacturers haven't joined the WPC, or paid to have the certification process done.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Dear Forum Members!:apple:

I would like to buy a wireless charger for my iPhone X.
Here is a list of the products what I like:

I use the phone with UAG shockproof cases. I don't want to remove the case every time when charge.
Which one is the best choice? If this is not the best choice, would you recommend another product?

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you :)

I think the iOttie will do the trick.
I have the stand version from them and have a pretty thick case but works excellent.

Agreed, I have the iOttie in the stand version and it seems to work well with cases. I also have the Belkin Boost Up (non-special edition) and I love how it can charge an iPhone, Apple Watch, as well as any other USB device I need like a power bank or our non-Apple wireless headphones.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I'm looking for a certain answer for an obvious question in my mind. When I'm home or at work, I generally leave my phone plugged to the original apple charger. So, I found out that, in this way the battery degrades slower in time. Anyway, my question is that, will I be able to leave my phone on wireless chargers for a long time like I do now with traditional chargers? Does it harm the battery? Does the battery get hot as long as you leave your phone on wireless chargers?

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I'm looking for a certain answer for an obvious question in my mind. When I'm home or at work, I generally leave my phone plugged to the original apple charger. So, I found out that, in this way the battery degrades slower in time. Anyway, my question is that, will I be able to leave my phone on wireless chargers for a long time like I do now with traditional chargers? Does it harm the battery? Does the battery get hot as long as you leave your phone on wireless chargers?

From what I have read you will cause more damage with constant wireless charging due to the heat required to charge using this method.... if battery preservation is what you are after, then you are better off continuing to charge throughout the day using the standard wired charger. Once you start using wireless for those extended periods of time the heat exposure will lower battery health.

Reactions: ondert

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Does the battery get hot as long as you leave your phone on wireless chargers?

I’ve only had my wireless charger a few days, but I’ve used it overnight about 3-4 times already & by the time I wake up & remove the phone, it’s not hot, nor warm. I’m using a normal charger though, which is slow. Going by what I’ve read, some quick chargers will heat your phone...which is why some of them come with a fan.

If you plan on using it overnight only, then a slow charger should be fine.

I’m keeping track of my battery now. For the first year of owning the iPhone X, I only used cable charging & my battery only dropped 1%, but now that I’ve introduced a wireless charger for overnight use, I’ll see how the battery holds up..

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Wireless chargers do generate waste heat, but a smart device will signal the charger to stop charging, so it's not like leaving a pot on the stove and burning up the contents.

That said, depending on usage habits, leaving a phone on the charger, and resultingly keeping the battery at a fully charged level for long periods is also not ideal, regardless of whether it's wired or wireless charger.

In general, Li batteries are happiest when in a partial state of charge, as well as being stored that way. The actual numbers may vary, depending on who is asked, but keep in mind Li battery powered devices leave the factory and sit in inventory partially charged on purpose, and new transport regulations will reinforce that from a safety standpoint by dictating that they ship at a maximum of ~30% charge.

Of course, in practical use, few are going to charge their devices to a maximum of 80% and then recharge at 40%, sacrificing capacity for the sake of optimal durability.

But, charging your phone to 100%, and then using it until it drops to 20% at the end of a day (or whatever period), is not the same thing as leaving it on a charger most of the time and keeping it topped off at 100%. Laptops that serve stationary duty connected to their mains adapters for much of their lives do not exhibit great battery life when asked to actually perform mobile duty, despite having few charge cycles.

Heat is also detrimental to battery durability, but again, they heat up regardless of how they're charged. Whether the additional waste heat generated by the inductive charging process is unnecessarily harmful, and by how much, will depend on the specifics of the setup.

Batteries manufacturers have their own acceptable parameters, as well as Apple engineers. One hopes that they all work together to provide the best experience to the widest number of use cases, but it's questionable if empirical testing has taken place to back up the expected projections under every circumstance.

These are not exact sciences, and there are debates involved even between experts, so there are a lot of generalities and it's hard to answer specifically.

Reactions: Agile55

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Hi guys, hoping someone might be able to recommend me something!

Currently I have this on my bedside table:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMWCMQ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1i3TCbD3JB0FG

I’ve just bought a pair of Airpods 2nd gen with the wireless case, and would like a new bedside dock that can incorporate them. Does anyone know of anything? With my current dock I love that the phone and watch stand with their displays facing outwards, rather than lying on their backs, so would prefer to have a dock that keeps that feature. Definitely want something that wirelessly charges the Airpods, otherwise what was the point in spending the extra for the wireless case!

Thanks in advance for any help!

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Hi guys, hoping someone might be able to recommend me something!

Currently I have this on my bedside table:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMWCMQ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1i3TCbD3JB0FG

I’ve just bought a pair of Airpods 2nd gen with the wireless case, and would like a new bedside dock that can incorporate them. Does anyone know of anything? With my current dock I love that the phone and watch stand with their displays facing outwards, rather than lying on their backs, so would prefer to have a dock that keeps that feature. Definitely want something that wirelessly charges the Airpods, otherwise what was the point in spending the extra for the wireless case!

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127998328/slicecharge-pro-worlds-1st-6-coils-wireless-chargi

These start arriving in May, Order now that they are 50% off for pre-orders.

You can have it as a stand like in the picture or you can lay it down and have the watch charger pop up like this:

bdd91372aa6de8dc82882c48ba39362e_original.jpg

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127998328/slicecharge-pro-worlds-1st-6-coils-wireless-chargi

These start arriving in May, Order now that they are 50% off for pre-orders.

You can have it as a stand like in the picture or you can lay it down and have the watch charger pop up like this:

bdd91372aa6de8dc82882c48ba39362e_original.jpg
I saw a few people mention this pad but all the pictures (including yours) showed everything lying down, which I don’t want. But then I clicked through the Kickstarter page and found this:

oWz4jn1.jpg

Everything sitting up like this is perfect! So I’ve pledged and it’ll come with the free stand as well as a couple other bits. Happy days!

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
The previous model year of my car had a wireless charging pad, but they removed it for my model year for some reason. So I decided to purchase an aftermarket version. I wound up getting the Pioneer SDA-WC01. It's really well made. The pad itself is a hard rubber that forms to any curved surface it's placed on, so it'll work perfectly well on dashboards. I thought about placing it in front of my navigation screen, but ultimately decided to place it in the center console. The bottom of the pad has a really grippy material on it. I don't know what's it is, but it'll definitely prevent the pad from sliding around regardless of how sharp of a turn you make.

image1 (1).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg

Reactions: broadbean

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
I just couldn't find a better option other than SliceCharge Pro for my taste. With its stand it is just the one I want, however, reading the comments on kickstarter makes me stop placing an order. On the other hand, it's their 2nd product from the same line. I need more information about lack of Qi certification.

edit: alright, couldn't resist anymore and ordered a white one with stand.

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I just couldn't find a better option other than SliceCharge Pro for my taste. With its stand it is just the one I want, however, reading the comments on kickstarter makes me stop placing an order. On the other hand, it's their 2nd product from the same line. I need more information about lack of Qi certification.

uh oh have people started receiving them and are leaving bad reviews? I pledged and I'm expecting 2 in mid-May.

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Sent the Slicecharge guys an email like 2 weeks ago asking if the free stand is gonna come in grey (matching the charging mat colour that I’ve ordered) or if its gonna come in white and thus look awful.

No response yet...

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Are there any flat pad wireless chargers which use the lightning cable, rather than USB-C or Micro-USB? I've found one by LXORY, but it isn't available in the UK.

Considering this as it means the sable cable for the pad as a Powerbeats Pro case.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Are there any flat pad wireless chargers which use the lightning cable, rather than USB-C or Micro-USB? I've found one by LXORY, but it isn't available in the UK.

Considering this as it means the sable cable for the pad as a Powerbeats Pro case.

A few Baseus models do, but they're not Qi-certified.

Reactions: Akrapovic

4k78

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
I got the Nomad Base Station Apple Watch Edition a few weeks ago and really like it. It's my first wireless charger. I do wish the charger was a little wider. If I put my XS Max on the far right in a vertical orientation, I can get my wife's 8 in horizontal, barely. I mainly got the charger for the built in Watch dock. It looks like the charger is backordered again until June 20th.

Reactions: Greysider

CasuallyDressed

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth, UK
Anyone had any luck with the Slicecharge Pro yet? Surely shipping soon? Getting kinda nervous tbh, never used Kickstarter before and all I read online is negative about HardCiderLabs :-/

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Anyone had any luck with the Slicecharge Pro yet? Surely shipping soon? Getting kinda nervous tbh, never used Kickstarter before and all I read online is negative about HardCiderLabs :-/

Nothing yet, and to be honest I had totally forgotten about it until I read this post. I ordered 2 while it was still on kickstarter... From what I can remember shipping was supposed to be in May so I find it odd that I haven't even heard anything from them..... Now you got me thinking.

*EDIT* coincidentally I just got an email from them:

Dear Backers,

We’re so sorry that the delivery of our new products, which originally scheduled to be sent out at the end of May, has been delayed until today. The reason is that we found out some problems with the new power adapters during the final test. To be specific, repeated plugging and unplugging in a short period of time may lead to the damage of the power adapters. Therefore, we immediately contacted the factory to investigate the problems and arranged the re-production. As a result, we had to delay the delivery and we really want to apologize again.

Fortunately, the new power adapters passed the test last week, and the SliceCharge Pro has been delivered to our warehouse. We will officially start the delivery on June 11th(today), and update more information on the delivery situation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.