Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ran across this yesterday- https://belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J235/. I didn’t examine the specs closely but it looks to be basically the same as the Belkin phone and watch combo “special edition” only sold at Apple now, other than a slightly different appearance. And it costs $20 less. Interestingly, the Belkin site reads like the “special edition” one will be available at some point on their site too.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on any wireless charger yet, waiting for just the right thing, I guess. Or to see if Apple ever releases Air Power, although a stand style is more appealing to me (seems less likely that the cats will push the phone off the charger). I bought a TwelveSouth HiRise Duo when I got my XS, since the Belkin Valet I had been using for some time wasn’t compatible with the XS, and it works just fine, but wireless charging is a tempting idea for the convenience. First world problems …

Been looking at that one myself. Was debating waiting to see how AirPower would affect the market, but getting tired of waiting and the latest updates from DigiTimes has me doubting it will be in Q1.

I also don't see the appeal of a flat charger and prefer a stand. And lastly, need an extra port to charge the other random rechargeable devices we have around (Bluetooth headsets, Fitbit, Apple TV remote, battery packs, etc).

I've debated some of the cheaper models, but there are so many reports of them randomly failing after several months and I just don't feel like dealing with that crap.

I'm really just waiting to see if the Belkin unit will be listed on one of my company discount portals (Zones, Staples, etc).
[doublepost=1548426471][/doublepost]
Consider also the iOttie Wireless Stand. Amazing product, I use it more than my Logitech one.
https://www.iottie.com/Product/Detail/5186/iON-Wireless-Fast-Charging-Stand-_Tan_

Gotta say, I love my iOttie iON. I really wish they offered a version that would also charge my wife's Apple Watch.

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Anyone else notice a faint buzzing noise coming from the transformer plug on the Logitech POWERED stand when there is no device sitting on the dock charging? Mine is right next to the bed, with the plug in the wall right behind my head, and when I'm not charging a device it makes a very slight electronic buzz sound. Swapped it out at the Apple store last weekend, and the new one is doing the exact same thing now.

Kaffebreak

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2016
Anyone else notice a faint buzzing noise coming from the transformer plug on the Logitech POWERED stand when there is no device sitting on the dock charging? Mine is right next to the bed, with the plug in the wall right behind my head, and when I'm not charging a device it makes a very slight electronic buzz sound. Swapped it out at the Apple store last weekend, and the new one is doing the exact same thing now.

Nope, I have two (also in the bedroom). Have you tried another outlet to see if its the same?

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
Nope, I have two (also in the bedroom). Have you tried another outlet to see if its the same?

Yep, tried a couple outlets and different surge protectors as well. I even put it on a sine wave UPS to see if cleaner power would help, no dice...both emit a slight buzz still.

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Yep, tried a couple outlets and different surge protectors as well. I even put it on a sine wave UPS to see if cleaner power would help, no dice...both emit a slight buzz still.
I just got my Logitech POWERED stand this week, and had not noticed any buzz. But since you asked about this, I realized that I can hear a slight buzz, but only if I put my ear practically on the plug. Since the outlet is a few feet from me when I'm in bed, I can't hear it then, so I'm not going to bother exchanging it. But if the plug is really close, as it is in your case, it would be annoying.

Reactions: solodogg

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
I just got my Logitech POWERED stand this week, and had not noticed any buzz. But since you asked about this, I realized that I can hear a slight buzz, but only if I put my ear practically on the plug. Since the outlet is a few feet from me when I'm in bed, I can't hear it then, so I'm not going to bother exchanging it. But if the plug is really close, as it is in your case, it would be annoying.

Whoops, sorry for pointing it out to you then. Sounds like it's a manufacturing defect in the transformer inside the plug. Usually there is a dab of hot glue on the transformers to keep the buzzing noise from being audible, I would say they didn't do that in this case.

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Whoops, sorry for pointing it out to you then. Sounds like it's a manufacturing defect in the transformer inside the plug. Usually there is a dab of hot glue on the transformers to keep the buzzing noise from being audible, I would say they didn't do that in this case.

No need to apologize - I really can't hear it under normal circumstances, and it apparently doesn't even bother our cats. And my husband's ability to hear high-pitched tones like that at all is gone :). I hope you can find something that works for you that is not so annoying.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Got this one from Amazon which was £12.

I only picked it up because I think it looks cool haha.

Does the job!

X76nsf0.jpg

While I prefer stands, and am not entirely sold on wireless charging, I picked up one of these to play with since it is relatively cheap, and I'd also not have to clear room on my desk.

For $13 and change, it's been a pleasant surprise.

It seems well-made, with a real glass top and aluminum shell. Uses a Lightning cable for input as well.

Of course, it looks neat, and not like the typical black or white plastic disc, which to me is a big part of its appeal.

In usage, I've found that it doesn't heat up (or heat the phone up), at least with the 5W profile. I don't have a QC charger to test the 7.5W profile, but if I needed to fast charge, I'd use a cable anyway. For casual use, it's fine.

The LED is pretty bright, but at least it's green and not blue, and the phone can be oriented to cover it up. In that case, the small pinhole on the edge of the casing and the background glow will still indicate it's powered up and active.

I did notice that it can be sensitive to a wall adapter that doesn't provide enough power to drive it, like the original Anker 5-port desktop charger I have, which caused it to intermittently pause, and subsequently stop midway through the charging cycle.

No problems with an Apple 12W adapter, or a newer Anker PowerPort 2. With those two, it never draws more than 1.25A according to the USB meter I have (with the old Anker, never more than 0.80A, so it must be a coding issue; the Anker does fast charge otherwise).

Long term durability remains to be seen, and it's not WPC-certified, which may be a consideration for some.

But otherwise, it seems to do the job, and with an element of style missing from the majority of wireless chargers.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Reactions: NJHitmen

premierpark

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2016
Dear Forum Members!:apple:

I would like to buy a wireless charger for my iPhone X.
Here is a list of the products what I like:

I use the phone with UAG shockproof cases. I don't want to remove the case every time when charge.
Which one is the best choice? If this is not the best choice, would you recommend another product?

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you :)

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
I think the iOttie will do the trick.
I have the stand version from them and have a pretty thick case but works excellent.

Reactions: Geckotek

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I use the phone with UAG shockproof cases. I don't want to remove the case every time when charge.
Which one is the best choice? If this is not the best choice, would you recommend another product?

I prefer charging stands that allow me to see the display and even use the iPhone while it’s on the charger. I also feel like the flat charging pads expose your iPhone display to whatever objects might accidentally fall on them from above. Maybe I just worry about that because we have kids. :p

The one I have is the Anker Powerwave 5W, but they also make a 7.5W for fast charging. I bought it with my iPhone X over a year ago and it’s working well. It’s hard to say what will work with a particular case unless you find others who have your same case. Sometimes reading reviews of the case will reveal whether or not people have had wireless charging issues with a particular charger. I have a Speck Presidio on my iPhone X that works just fine with wireless chargers.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tivoboy

macrumors 601
May 15, 2005

I think any list to fill this gap should include the nomad pad.

thyttel

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2013
This new SliceCharge pro on kickstarter looks interesting. Might be a nice airpower alternative. I like the fact that it has a flip up charger for the watch... I use a lot of metal bands and the milanese so I cant just lay the watch down on a flat charger without removing the band.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127998328/slicecharge-pro-worlds-1st-6-coils-wireless-chargi

9to5mac also did a hands-on review here:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/13/multi-coil-charger/

I also think SliceCharge Pro looks like the best option. I pledged for 2 to be delivered in June. Looking forward to recieve them

Reactions: bigjnyc

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I pledged for 2 as well. Looking forward to trying it out.
I also pledged! Can’t wait!

In the meantime: Nomad. It is pretty sweet and stylish, was lucky that I ordered quickly before they back ordered for two months. They shipped over to Germany from the US within 4 days!! Pretty insane. It does require specific placement though, as can be expected, but it’s still frustrating when you have the AirPower in mind and I’ll be curious how the SliceCharge Pro will perform. Would be nice to have the nomad style with this 6 coil design.
DA0F5D9C-A53F-4E17-8E15-7ACB97936705.jpeg

[doublepost=1554402912][/doublepost]
I hate any type of visible cables; so I put the QI charger into several furnitures at home. Just put it on and it'll be charged. For my older iPad I too a third party adapter to charge it...
That is so neat! Love it!!

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Just for s&g, I retrieved my wireless charging stand for my Vizio remote tablet lol. Well, it charges my iphone xs Max and the wireless case for the Airpods 2.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I just invested minimal dollars on my first wireless stand.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/wireless-charging-phone-stand/2128822
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/dual-usb-wall-charger/1793801

Quick charge didn’t bother me, as I’ll be using it over night anyway. In saying that I’m not exactly sure what wattage it’s working at. I presume it’s 5 watt over USB-A?

The mains adapter power rating and Qi profile power ratings are two separate things.

The vast majority of wireless chargers are recommended to be used a 12W mains adapter as a prerequisite, even for the base 5W Qi profile. But that one should be sufficient, if very marginally slower.

If a charger is capable of the higher 7.5W/10W profiles, and to be used in that mode, they require a higher wattage adapter, usually in the form of a QC adapter since they are capable of 18W and readily available.

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The mains adapter power rating and Qi profile power ratings are two separate things.

The vast majority of wireless chargers are recommended to be used a 12W mains adapter as a prerequisite, even for the base 5W Qi profile. But that one should be sufficient, if very marginally slower.

If a charger is capable of the higher 7.5W/10W profiles, and to be used in that mode, they require a higher wattage adapter, usually in the form of a QC adapter since they are capable of 18W and readily available.
Thanks.

There was another Wall charger in store which had 2 x USB-A & 1 x USB-C (PD) ports. I was about to grab that one instead (for future proofing), but decided to trial the cheapest wireless charging setup for now. I may still swap them over. The below seems decent value for money...

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/wall-charger/2521305

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.