Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be purchasing the new Galaxy S10?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That is the problem. Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee! Gimmee!
Lol, well that's just how I see it and I'm glad. I'm just one that doesn't need the latest and greatest.
When the Galaxy series gets too expensive for me.....like I can't get a half price purchase of something like I got last year with my S9 and the phone is more than I'm willing to pay, I'm just gonna go with a Motorola Z3. Cheaper, won't have the latest and greatest except for maybe the operating system and I'll be fine with that.
The Pixel is already too high for me.

Reactions: Ralfi

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I enjoy the excitement of new phone releases and love looking at the pictures and reading the reviews.

But I’m in the weird position of finding it difficult to part with my S9+ and my Pixel 2. I had the opportunity and came close and didn’t take it. They’re just not lacking enough! :p

Reactions: I7guy and kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I enjoy the excitement of new phone releases and love looking at the pictures and reading the reviews.

But I’m in the weird position of finding it difficult to part with my S9+ and my Pixel 2. I had the opportunity and came close and didn’t take it. They’re just not lacking enough! :p
Perhaps when you’re ready to part with them, you’ll find something great at a lower price. When more notchless phones arrive with under the screen finger print tech, I’ll start looking more proactively.

Reactions: 5105973

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
I know myself and everyone who doesn't like specks of anything on their screen will find it difficult to get used to the camera being a part of the screen. I'll judge when I actually see or use it but that just looks weird to me. I can't imagine watching a video and having that there the (w)hole time.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Everyone who dislikes this but uses the iPhone, you should get used to this. I’m sure Apple is going to borrow this in the next couple years.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I know myself and everyone who doesn't like specks of anything on their screen will find it difficult to get used to the camera being a part of the screen. I'll judge when I actually see or use it but that just looks weird to me. I can't imagine watching a video and having that there the (w)hole time.

If you can get used to a 9mm notch intruding into way more of your screen, you can get used to a much smaller cut out. It's that simple. The majority of Android phones will all be adopting the punch hole design and under display fingerprint readers for 2019. At the same time, the industry waits in anticipation for Samsung to take it to the next level with under display cameras and sensors. Bottom line, Apple will be the only one left with the hideous and already dated looking notch.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If you can get used to a 9mm notch intruding into way more of your screen, you can get used to a much smaller cut out. It's that simple. The majority of Android phones will all be adopting the punch hole design and under display fingerprint readers for 2019. At the same time, the industry waits in anticipation for Samsung to take it to the next level with under display cameras and sensors. Bottom line, Apple will be the only one left with the hideous and already dated looking notch.

To be honest, I would rather have the notch than a hole on my screen. I have the X and the notch has never bothered me and it doesn’t get in the way of the videos I watch. The S10 would look better if they don’t the hole.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
To be honest, I would rather have the notch than a hole on my screen. I have the X and the notch has never bothered me and it doesn’t get in the way of the videos I watch. The S10 would look better if they don’t the hole.
Sounds like you just got used to the notch on your iPhone X in everyday use. So why wouldn't the hole blend in after everyday use too? I mean it is smaller.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Sounds like you just got used to the notch on your iPhone X in everyday use. So why wouldn't the hole blend in after everyday use too? I mean it is smaller.
Because it's not on an iPhone.

If Apple chose to re-release the Ericsson S868 with an Apple logo and $1000 price tag on it as the iPhone XI, people would come in here and say they got used to the display of their iPhone XI and don't see the need of a 6.5inch Samsung display.
58563564ee964a82b4d0cb52f34cade0.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

If Apple chose to re-release the Ericsson S868 with an Apple logo and $1000 price tag on it as the iPhone XI, people would come in here and say they got used to the display of their iPhone XI and don't see the need of a 6.5inch Samsung display.

That’s the ticket. Apple users are sheep. That’s the only reason they could disagree with you.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
True that the majority of the general public take false hype at face value instead of applying logic.

The way I see the hole vs the wide notch is like being in a theater and determining what's more annoying at blocking the movie, someone's head in the corner or a bus parked sideways. Even better is no obstruction of any kind.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
That’s the ticket. Apple users are sheep. That’s the only reason they could disagree with you.

It may have been an exaggeration, but I think we all know the point he was making. Nobody is saying all Apple customers are sheep. But when the dictionary actually uses Apple users as an example of sheeple? How else can you honestly describe a group of users who...

- Never have a single negative thing to say about Apple. Not a single one.
- Immediately shoot down anything the competition does.
- Label software/hardware features the competition has as gimmicks and useless, but once Apple does it, it's innovation and something they always wanted.
- They say when Apple is late to the game with features, it's because they're waiting to do it right. But when Apple is first, it's because they're innovators and leaders of the industry.
- When they make excuses for defects in a product that is priced at a premium, yet so called cheaper knock offs don't have these same "defects."
- When they complain of overpricing and poor quality, yet continue to buy the products.
- When they are shopping around for any other consumer product, they don't blindly accept such overpricing and lacking of hardware compared to the rest of the industry for those other consumer products. For example, TVs, Cars, Clothing, sports gear, appliances, or any other consumer product you can think of.

I mean honestly, it's the blindly defending and making of excuses for defects and bad design, and the shameless ever moving of the goal post, that sets up such users for the labeling of sheep by even Merriam-Webster.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I was used to the notch within an hour not days after I activated my phone. Even if Apple were to release a iPhone with a hole in the screen this year, I will not be upgrading to this year’s model but more likely last year’s model. I don’t like the hole in the screen and no matter who manufactured the phone, I still wouldn’t buy it.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I definitely would not buy that phone even if Apple released it or a phone with that screen size. I don’t buy anything I don’t like. I said I would never go back to any screen smaller than 5.8 inches and I’m not.

Reactions: Tsepz

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I’m not a sheep and I don’t buy every product Apple releases just because it’s Apple. I have to see it as an upgrade with updates that I have to want. Case in point, 2017 I upgraded to the X which was a new redesign from the Plus series phones and something I wanted to buy even with the notch and smaller screen. Fast forward to 2018 and I still have my X and didn’t upgrade to the XS Max which is what I wanted because of the bigger screen. This year I will upgrade as long as Apple don’t change the look of the XS Max to what I don’t like and don’t increase the price tag.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It may have been an exaggeration, but I think we all know the point he was making. Nobody is saying all Apple customers are sheep. But when the dictionary actually uses Apple users as an example of sheeple? How else can you honestly describe a group of users who...

- Never have a single negative thing to say about Apple. Not a single one.
- Immediately shoot down anything the competition does.
- Label software/hardware features the competition has as gimmicks and useless, but once Apple does it, it's innovation and something they always wanted.
- They say when Apple is late to the game with features, it's because they're waiting to do it right. But when Apple is first, it's because they're innovators and leaders of the industry.
- When they make excuses for defects in a product that is priced at a premium, yet so called cheaper knock offs don't have these same "defects."
- When they complain of overpricing and poor quality, yet continue to buy the products.
- When they are shopping around for any other consumer product, they don't blindly accept such overpricing and lacking of hardware compared to the rest of the industry for those other consumer products. For example, TVs, Cars, Clothing, sports gear, appliances, or any other consumer product you can think of.

I mean honestly, it's the blindly defending and making of excuses for defects and bad design, and the shameless ever moving of the goal post, that sets up such users for the labeling of sheep by even Merriam-Webster.

When I choose to upgrade I always look at Samsung and Google to see what they are or have released. I have Android products at home such as a Samsung tablet and Galaxy S7, that I received to test out for 6 months as my primary device. I used Android phones for several years before I started using iPhones in 2011. I never defend Apple when they make a product that I don’t agree with. There have been a few times in the past when I had to have my device replaced due to a defect, which the Apple store did with no issues and no fee.

When the X was released with the $999 price tag, I didn’t bat an eye on buying it not because it was Apple (Samsung and Google have increased prices as well), but the phone I bought the previous year was not much cheaper than the X. I always bought the highest storage so the prices was always higher than the starting price for the phones when released. I already said if Apple changes the look of the XS Max this year and increase the pricing, I am not upgrading to this year’s model but more so last year’s model as well looking at what Samsung and Google put out new this year.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was used to the notch within an hour not days after I activated my phone. Even if Apple were to release a iPhone with a hole in the screen this year, I will not be upgrading to this year’s model but more likely last year’s model. I don’t like the hole in the screen and no matter who manufactured the phone, I still wouldn’t buy it.
I guess it is just a difference in our personal tastes :)
I like the hole better than the notch any day of the week :)

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Don't really understand your point. The notch can be considered to be a hole in the dcreen. Just not a small round hole. A big rectangle hole. I really can't see why someone can get use to the notch but can't get use to the hole.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Don't really understand your point. The notch can be considered to be a hole in the dcreen. Just not a small round hole. A big rectangle hole. I really can't see why someone can get use to the notch but can't get use to the hole.

It’s the placement of the hole. The notch is in middle at the top of the screen. The hole is all the way on the side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.