Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be purchasing the new Galaxy S10?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I was very excited about buying this phone. Then I saw the expected prices on Sammobile.

I hope everyone that wants one of these gets one. But for me, I think I'm done buying flagship phones from now on.

I'm not just talking about Samsung. The prices for flagships these days are just way out of line for a product that has hit the mature point of its lifecycle.

Maybe if smartphone sales drop this year we will see some sanity return to smartphone pricing.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I was very excited about buying this phone. Then I saw the expected prices on Sammobile.

I hope everyone that wants one of these gets one. But for me, I think I'm done buying flagship phones from now on.

I'm not just talking about Samsung. The prices for flagships these days are just way out of line for a product that has hit the mature point of its lifecycle.

Maybe if smartphone sales drop this year we will see some sanity return to smartphone pricing.

I've mention this before, Samsung typically offers freebies at launch, and that in combination with my carriers offer usually offsets the price enough for me. But if that isn't good enough, I'd say, buy a flagship that is almost a year old, because that's when you get the best price for it. A discounted flagship device is still better than a just released mid ranger.
For example, I'd take a Note 8 (2yrs) at this price, over any phone on the market today.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-8-deal-discount-best-buy_id112734

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I was waiting for the 10 but just jumped on an S9+ deal from Costco.

Main reason was price.. Was able to pick up the S9+ for $350 after trade in. From all reports, S10(+) will be a $1000+ phone. Even with a trade in deal at launch, it'll still be an expensive device.

Also, not sure I like the punched out camera hole on the front.. it's almost as bad as a notch.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016

Main reason was price.. Was able to pick up the S9+ for $350 after trade in. From all reports, S10(+) will be a $1000+ phone. Even with a trade in deal at launch, it'll still be an expensive device.

Also, not sure I like the punched out camera hole on the front.. it's almost as bad as a notch.
Sounds like you made a rushed decision based on price and you try justify it by saying the S10 looks as bad as a notch, since there is no point in getting an S9 at this stage. Enjoy your phone it's still a great device and will last you many years.

Reactions: hemon

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sounds like you made a rushed decision based on price and you try justify it by saying the S10 looks as bad as a notch, since there is no point in getting an S9 at this stage. Enjoy your phone it's still a great device and will last you many years.

Yeah. Even if I don’t like the holes, I’d get the S10 over the S9 if only for the improved everything else.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

It’s a bit confusing since there are two S10 threads but I posted on the other one a link that the starting price for the S10 Lite is expected to be $700-$800. :eek:

You got yourself a great phone. I love mine. The only shortcoming is the battery life isn’t as robust as I’d like it to be but it still gets me through a whole day of use. The selfie camera is also maybe a bit too glam-shot oriented.

Everything else has been wonderful. I have gotten excellent videos from it with wonderful stereo audio that still sounds better than that produced by my Xr. It’s got a pro photo mode that’s very versatile. And it’s excellent as a phone. Which should go without saying but there have been issues in my past with some iPhones that make me never take that aspect for granted.

I don’t know if I’m going to trade it in on an S10 myself. If I did it would have to be for an S10 Lite if the rumored price points turn out to be true. I am doubtful it would be worthwhile to do that. I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

It will be fun. It would be fun even if I don’t get anything or manage to get a deal for a Pixel 3XL. I just love tech news and always have fun seeing other people discuss their phones.

I think the little S10 round and oval cutouts looks very crisp and clean, myself. I really have learned to let go of being so particular after developing a tech crush on my husband’s Pixel 3XL after ridiculing the notch for months.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Yeah. Even if I don’t like the holes, I’d get the S10 over the S9 if only for the improved everything else.

I would as well but I couldn't justify paying an extra $500 for the improved everything else compared to the S9. If the 10 ends up not being as expensive as reported or there's some amazing trade in offers, sure, I'll upgrade to the 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.