Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be purchasing the new Galaxy S10?

• Yes

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 66.7%

• Total voters

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I’m not a sheep and I don’t buy every product Apple releases just because it’s Apple. I have to see it as an upgrade with updates that I have to want. Case in point, 2017 I upgraded to the X which was a new redesign from the Plus series phones and something I wanted to buy even with the notch and smaller screen. Fast forward to 2018 and I still have my X and didn’t upgrade to the XS Max which is what I wanted because of the bigger screen. This year I will upgrade as long as Apple don’t change the look of the XS Max to what I don’t like and don’t increase the price tag.

I was doing the sarcasm.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes it is. If the screen don’t look right I’m not buying the phone. I like everything to line up in symmetry.
So what phone do you use now? If we are talking about iPhones...they are not symmetrical....

iphone-xs-camera.jpg

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm considering an S10 now. I've used large phones since the Note II in late 2012 and I think I'm ready for a smaller phone. Ironically, the S10 is rumored to have a larger screen than my current S6 edge+
If the S10 has a headphone jack I will strongly consider it. I'd like my next new phone to have one, and then after that it can go.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm considering an S10 now. I've used large phones since the Note II in late 2012 and I think I'm ready for a smaller phone. Ironically, the S10 is rumored to have a larger screen than my current S6 edge+
If the S10 has a headphone jack I will strongly consider it. I'd like my next new phone to have one, and then after that it can go.

Samsung did two things right that other Android manufacturers did not do. First off, they didn't get rid of the headphone jack, second, they didn't adopt the notch. Now it seems the headphone jack could very well be making a return with other Android OEMs. Here's hoping it does. Removing the headphone jack takes choice away from the consumer. Never understood people that defended the removal of the jack. Leaving it in, takes nothing away from anyone. If a user wants Bluetooth, they can still use it. Smh.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I personally don't like either. But I would go with the smaller hole / notch any day.
Agree with you on that...rather not have anything...but would choose the smaller hole over the notch.
I don't mind a little bezel.....not sure why companies chose the notch over a small bezel.

Reactions: iSilas and Oohara

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yes it is. If the screen don’t look right I’m not buying the phone. I like everything to line up in symmetry.
Fair enough, I can't stand notches, each to their own and all that :)
What if the hole was centred?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
yeah but its all about design right? If symmetry bothers you..... why doesn't the iphone camera bother you?

I’m not staring at the back of the phone as much as I’m staring at the screen. Plus the camera is at the top in the corner and not the middle. If it is was in the middle where my fingers are always resting, my fingers would be covering the camera.

Fair enough, I can't stand notches, each to their own and all that :)
What if the hole was centred?

I would probably consider it if it wasn’t in the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’m not staring at the back of the phone as much as I’m staring at the screen. Plus the camera is at the top in the corner and not the middle. If it is was in the middle where my fingers are always resting, my fingers would be covering the camera.
we can just disagree then...when taking pictures...the natural position is to hold it exactly where the camera is on the iPhone.
I hear so many apple fans who complain about design and symmetry on other phones...give apple a pass on it's design failures as well. Some people put their phones face down.....and the non symmetrical camera is pretty glaring.

Just be consistent...if symmetry is a priority........the camera on iphones is not symmetrical. Hold Apple to the same standards as others.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
we can just disagree then...when taking pictures...the natural position is to hold it exactly where the camera is on the iPhone.
I hear so many apple fans who complain about design and symmetry on other phones...give apple a pass on it's design failures as well. Some people put their phones face down.....and the non symmetrical camera is pretty glaring.

Just be consistent...if symmetry is a priority........the camera on iphones is not symmetrical. Hold Apple to the same standards as others.

Number one this is a forum and if I say I don’t like certain phones because of the way they are designed who are you to tell me to be consistent? I have no issues with no cameras on any phones wether it’s Samsung, Apple, Google, Huawei etc. Apple has been consistent for me while using their products. I use my iPhone for work and pleasure just as I would if it was Samsung, Google etc. I just prefer Apple over the competition and no stranger on a forum is going to change that.

Apple has made faults with some of their products as everyone else has as well. I don’t defend their faults if it affects me in a negative way. One thing that keep me using Apple for my phone, tablet, laptop, and watch is the amount of software updates Apple keep pushing out. Right now I have a iPad Mini 2, that is 5 years old and a Samsung tablet purchased the same day. The iPad is still receiving software updates 5 years later, while the tablet is pretty much useless and hasn’t seen an update besides security updates in 3 years.

Reactions: drinkingtea

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I like it.

I got an iPhone XS last year on release, it is the first time I have had an iPhone since the 5S. I like Android and so previously have had a mix of Samsung, Nexus and Pixel. I quite like this iPhone but some of the annoying niggles are sort of wearing me down. I may switch back to this Samsung model.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
It's funny how people (not you stacey) who don't care about Samsung (their words, not mine), come into a thread about Samsung, say they don't care but still try to get a reaction from people, about Samsung.
Then get offended when asked a question or have their criticism turned on them.

Why bother?
If you dont really care, what would be the point?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m a member on an Android forum but haven’t accessed it in almost 8 years since I switched over to IOS in 2011. Android have some good quality phones and products that have came out over the years. I always say use what works for you. If it’s Android use Android and if it’s Apple, use Apple. They both pretty much do the same thing.

I only came on this thread to see what the discussion was like on Samsung’s next upcoming phones. I love technology so I love to see what the competition have. I will say that I do not like the foldable prototype I saw from Samsung, so if Apple come out with one as well, I won’t be in line to buy one.

Reactions: drinkingtea

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Do you not look at the back of your phone?

I’m trying to remember the last time I looked at the back of my phone. I am sure it’s possible, so I’m not going to say “no never”. I do wish they would put the cameras in the middle, though, with the holes.

Even if you don’t mind the asymmetrical front, even you should admit that it would help sell numbers to people who do care.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I’m trying to remember the last time I looked at the back of my phone. I am sure it’s possible, so I’m not going to say “no never”. I do wish they would put the cameras in the middle, though, with the holes.

Even if you don’t mind the asymmetrical front, even you should admit that it would help sell numbers to people who do care.
just as you should admit even if you don't look at the back of your phone others do.......that logic works both ways...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...we all have different tastes.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
just as you should admit even if you don't look at the back of your phone others do.......that logic works both ways...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...we all have different tastes.

Yeah. I will admit that I wish that everything was symmetrical. I just have order of importance for my choices. That being said, I buy Samsung phones every year so I’m hoping to sit this one out because money.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Do you not look at the back of your phone?

How about from the bottom?

People have made a big deal about bottom speaker grill symmetry like it's the end of world. Judging by people's perception of personal appearance, buying a new car, etc. I would think the front and back would be more important than the bottom. Only time I look at the bottom of my car is when I jack it up to change a flat tire otherwise only care about front, back and side appearance.

Maybe I should leave logic at the door when I join these discussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.