Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Am very interested to hear about Digitalguy's Acacis/980Pro combo results because, well, read on....

I recently jumped into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out what might be the best-performing & fastest for the money TB enclosure and M.2 NVMe SSD combo. My goal is to find a combo that costs about what the Rocket XTRM-Q does but one-ups it with a write speed closer to 2,500 MB/s.

So I've spent (wasted?) a lot of time reading through this forum MacRumor's "Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosures" forum thread, watching all of the Youtube video reviews about the enclosures (along with what SSD's they used), and picking over the enclosure & SSD specs/costs. Despite the widely varying if not conflicting test results there appears to be one sure thing about how to achieve close to 2,500 MB/s overall speed: the 980 Pro SSD must be used (I have no clue why other than the results I've seen). MikeFAB's post above seems to prove this once again. Of course the 980 Pro is a bit too pricey to achieve the cost part of my goal, so....

I decided to do a mini-test to see if I can prove this 980 Pro theory wrong. Therefore I also have both an Acacis & Orico enclosure on the way (Amazon just put them both on sale) along with (from cheapest to most expensive) the Black SN770, Rocket Pro 4 and 980 Pro SSD's. I will test every combo and report my results.

Last edited:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Am very interested to hear about Digitalguy's Acacis/980Pro combo results because, well, read on....

I recently jumped into the rabbit hole of trying to figure out what might be the best-performing & fastest for the money TB enclosure and M.2 NVMe SSD combo. My goal is to find a combo that costs about what the Rocket XTRM-Q does but one-ups it with a write speed closer to 2,500 MB/s.

So I've spent (wasted?) a lot of time reading through this forum MacRumor's "Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosures" forum thread, watching all of the Youtube video reviews about the enclosures (along with what SSD's they used), and picking over the enclosure & SSD specs/costs. Despite the widely varying if not conflicting test results there appears to be one sure thing about how to achieve close to 2,500 MB/s overall speed: the 980 Pro SSD must be used (I have no clue why other than the results I've seen). MikeFAB's post above seems to prove this once again. Of course the 980 Pro is a bit too pricey to achieve the cost part of my goal, so....

I decided to do a mini-test to see if I can prove this 980 Pro theory wrong. Therefore I also have both an Acacis & Orico enclosure on the way (Amazon just put them both on sale) along with (from cheapest to most expensive) the Black SN770, Rocket Pro 4 and 980 Pro SSD's. I will test every combo and report my results.
Any USB4.0 nvme enclosure should get you around that.

At least anything with an Intel JHL7440 or better chip, like this one for $110.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Hello,

What external ssd is best to use with the M1 Mac mini, sata3 ssd or a NVME? Should I go USB 3.1 or type C for the connection? Will it be fast?

Your single biggest concern should not be getting the theoretically perfect drive; it should be getting a drive that is not a fake...
Whatever you land up getting
- make sure you buy it from a source that allows easy returns
- as soon as you get it, the first thing you should do is FILL it up with files, check that those files can be read, delete them all, fill it up again, and check the new files can be read.
This will at least check the most common scams, where a much smaller SSD is marketed as a larger SSD, with bogus firmware that reports the larger size, but throws away blocks beyond the smaller size or engages in weird games where QLC flash is sold as TLC flash or similar.
Brandname will not help you -- if I' m going to counterfeit like this, I might as well fake Samsung or Micron alongside NoNameChineseBrand.

These scams have become astonishingly, depressingly prevalent...

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It's so annoying that Apple didn't build in a user accessible NVMe slot on the Mac Mini's (and iMacs -- all desktops really)

Having to do this big huge dance of finding reliable external drive enclosures just totally sucks

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It's so annoying that Apple didn't build in a user accessible NVMe slot on the Mac Mini's (and iMacs -- all desktops really)

Having to do this big huge dance of finding reliable external drive enclosures just totally sucks
The Macs that have NVMe compatible slots have all sorts of compatibility issues with 3rd party NVMe drives. I suspect this is part of the reason Apple doesn't support this.

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Any USB4.0 nvme enclosure should get you around that.

At least anything with an Intel JHL7440 or better chip, like this one for $110.
As a newbie to understanding PC/Mac hardware there’s always one more thing to learn (I spent the last week learning about all of the terminology associted with SSD’s and what impact the different choices--like TLC vs. QLC—have). Didn’t know about this Intel chip and, strangely, the two most popular TB enclosures (Acasis & Orico) don’t make mention of what chip they use…is that the chip which does the TB to NVMe conversion? Anyway, just received an Orico and so far the results with one SSD look great…will report my results when I have the Acasis and the three SSD’s that I want to test for determining whether there’s clearly one superior combination.

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
I wanted to report on my search for a Gen2 or Gen2x2 drive to use exclusively for my TM incremental backups. I tested the following (and posted more detailed results earlier on the SanDisks):
  1. SanDisk Extreme Portable V2, 1TB, $100 - This had the slowest BlackMagic results at about 750/800 MB/s W/R avg. More importantly its write performance was highly variable from 600 to 800 MB/s.
  2. SanDisk Extreme Pro V2, 1TB, $130 - This was the fastest at about 905/910 MB/s W/R. I could justify its added cost vs. the above's performance but not vs. the next one.
  3. Crucial X8, 1TB, $80 - This was nearly as fast as the Extreme Pro @ 850/870 MB/s W/R and the write speeds were also consistent unlike the Extreme. I also compared its R/W times for some typical files I'll be dealing with (music and docs, generally in the 100GB range) just in case I need to use it for that purpose instead. It also performed essentially as fast as the Extreme Pro in these cases. I understand that this drive's performance degrades greatly vs. the SanDisks when dealing with file sizes ~25% of the remaining capacity (i.e., the cache size), but I would be using it for transfers only (not backup) and of file sizes <100GB.
The Crucial X8 looks like the best pick for my specific use especially given its $80 price. OTOH if I were dealing with much larger file sizes I might've looked at the Samsung T7 Shield instead.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Crucial X8, 1TB, $80 - This was nearly as fast as the Extreme Pro @ 850/870 MB/s W/R and the write speeds were also consistent unlike the Extreme. I also compared its R/W times for some typical files I'll be dealing with (music and docs, generally in the 100GB range) just in case I need to use it for that purpose instead. It also performed essentially as fast as the Extreme Pro in these cases. I understand that this drive's performance degrades greatly vs. the SanDisks when dealing with file sizes ~25% of the remaining capacity (i.e., the cache size), but I would be using it for transfers only (not backup) and of file sizes <100GB.

The Crucial X8 looks like the best pick for my specific use especially given its $80 price. OTOH if I were dealing with much larger file sizes I might've looked at the Samsung T7 Shield instead.
Yes this is a Crucial point to realize. The 1 TB model can write just under 200 GB before performance completely tanks, down to 100 MB/s. However, for most people that's OK. Basically it runs like a super fast SSD and then after 200 GB it runs like a fast hard drive.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Yes this is a Crucial point to realize. The 1 TB model can write just under 200 GB before performance completely tanks, down to 100 MB/s. However, for most people that's OK. Basically it runs like a super fast SSD and then after 200 GB it runs like a fast hard drive.
Price difference isn't too great to justify buying a X8 in my mind. The 2 TB X8 was only $10 cheaper than the SanDisk recently and currently the same price as SanDisk. What a ripoff for a QLC drive.

Reactions: EugW

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Price difference isn't too great to justify buying a X8 in my mind. The 2 TB X8 was only $10 cheaper than the SanDisk recently and currently the same price as SanDisk. What a ripoff for a QLC drive.
Understood though the price difference of the X8 for me was $20 less vs. both the Extreme & T7 Shield, and the Extreme was 10% slower and flaky (didn't try the T7 Shield since I was “done” at that point).

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I use Samsung 2TB T7 SSD’s. They might not be the fastest SSD’s, but the price / performance / storage is really good.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I use Samsung 2TB T7 SSD’s. They might not be the fastest SSD’s, but the price / performance / storage is really good.
They are a great value. However, it should be noted that often times the faster (and better protected) T7 Shield is the same price as the T7. If they are the same price, I'd go with the T7 Shield. However, get the T7 if it's significantly cheaper than the T7 Shield.

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Back to the OP’s question. For my M1 Pro MBP (not really an M1 Mini but close enough for the following?) the Sabrent Rocket XTRM-Q is a no-go which probably needs an upgrade. It wouldn’t reliably connect to my Mac, would sometimes disconnect in the middle of a larger read or write, and when trying to transfer a large file from my Mac to a Windows PC it needed to cool down for 15min. before it would connect to the PC. Does it need a new TB controller?

Also there’s been significant improvements in SSD technology since this drive was introduced. So I think the 1.8/2.3 GB/s speeds (when connected to my M1 Pro MBP) are no longer competitive at its price mainly due to its use of cheap QLC flash. The SSD used in this drive is essentially at the bottom of Sabrent’s current lineup they really should upgrade it with one of their a speedier TLC models. Sabrent used to make a faster TLC version of this drive but it’s TB only (i.e., it won’t work with USB2/3 ports which is a problem for most of us that may need to transfer files with between various generations of Mac & PC’s), and it’s of course no longer available.

For now the Sandisk Pro G-40 is a speedier and probably more reliable choice if you want a pre-built drive but the 1TB model is a hefty $300. Instead I’m now convinced that the best-value TB speed choice is using a Gen. 4 PCIe/NVMe SSD w/TLC flash in a Thunderbolt & USB2/3 enclosure (like those made by Acasis or Orico). I recently spent $155 on an Acasis TBU401 enclosure with a WD Black SN770 500GB SSD (it has W/R speeds of 2.4/2.7 GB/s and reliably connects & stays connected to my MBP). See my post #748 on the “Thunderbolt 3 M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosures“ for my testing of both the Acasis & Orico enclosures with three different SSD’s shortly.

Last edited:

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
But I’m now convinced that the best TB speed choice is using an NVMe SSD in a Thunderbolt & USB2/3 enclosure (like those made by Acasis or Orico).
I have had two Acasis TBU-401s that you describe for the past month. Paired with the 2TB WD Black SN850X and the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro I have been getting 2700-2800 MB/s read and write speeds with both my 16inch MBP and my Studio Max using Ventura. They are solid and reliable with no disconnects. I have not tried the WD SN770. It uses a different controller and from what I can see in the reviews, it might have R/W speeds a bit less than the SN850. I agree with you that the technology has now brought the WD and Samsung NVMe SSDs and Acasis enclosures to the forefront in fast, reliable storage for the M1 Macs.

Last edited:

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
I have had two Acasis TBU-401s that you describe for the past month. Paired with the 2TB WD Black SN850X and the 2TB Samsung 980 Pro I have been getting 2700-2800 MB/s read and write speeds with both my 16inch MBP and my Studio Max using Ventura. They are solid and reliable with no disconnects. I have not tried the WD SN770. It uses a different controller and from what I can see in the reviews, it might have R/W speeds a bit less than the SN850. I agree with you that the technology has now brought the WD and Samsung NVMe SSDs and Acasis enclosures to the forefront in fast, reliable storage for the M1 Macs.
Very cool! Yeah the SN770 is a bit slower on BM’s 5GB test (just 50MB/s which would probably be erased if I put it in “Game Mode” though I’m more interested in less heat than ultimate speed). However, based on Tomshardware.com sustained write tests it drops in speed by 50% vs. the 980 Pro when the cache is filled. But that degradation is after ~140GB for the 500GB size which won‘t be an issue for me (I rarely deal with files that large and this drive will be for file transfers not backup). Thx!

Last edited:

pumacorp

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
Anybody know if the Sam 980 pro with thunderbolt external drives are running faster with the newer m2 (non pro)???I know they run faster in the m1 pro..I have a reg m1 and wondering if it pays to go to m2

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Anybody know if the Sam 980 pro with thunderbolt external drives are running faster with the newer m2 (non pro)???I know they run faster in the m1 pro..I have a reg m1 and wondering if it pays to go to m2
I'm curious too since a couple (or more?) of the enclosure manufacturer's are showing that the M2 does not throttle the speeds at all like the M1 does. Here's a table from the Amazon listing for the Ankmax UC4M2 40Gbps enclosure which shows quite a speed boost (especially the write speed) for the MBA M2 vs. M1 w/ the 980Pro (and the Siliking SK405 enclosure also on Amazon has a similar table with the same results)...who knows if it's true?:

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.25.19 PM.png

pumacorp

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
I'm curious too since a couple (or more?) of the enclosure manufacturer's are showing that the M2 does not throttle the speeds at all like the M1 does. Here's a table from the Amazon listing for the Ankmax UC4M2 40Gbps enclosure which shows quite a speed boost (especially the write speed) for the MBA M2 vs. M1 w/ the 980Pro (and the Siliking SK405 enclosure also on Amazon has a similar table with the same results)...who knows if it's true?:

View attachment 2147859
Thanks a ton..If this is true then I am selling my M1 to get an M2....I mean its only a 2 hundred dollar difference from selling my m1 to buy a new m2 ...Hopefully the M2 doesnt have quirks ..U know apple

Mac-ra

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2022
Thanks a ton..If this is true then I am selling my M1 to get an M2....I mean its only a 2 hundred dollar difference from selling my m1 to buy a new m2 ...
Well it sounds like a $200 bet to find out if it's true😉...pls report back!

pumacorp

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
Well it sounds like a $200 bet to find out if it's true😉...pls report back!
lol yeah well Im gonna check in and see what people are saying like https://www.youtube.com/@KevinRossRN hes awesome for testing a ton of drives and anything mac ...Hes the 1st one to talk about the 980pro being the best on mac in his tests ..Hes always on point ..Good guy as well /..He might be on Macrumors not sure ..

Reactions: EzisAA

EzisAA

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
Riga, Latvia
In Acasis TBU401E Samsung 980 Pro 2TB on MacBook Pro 13 inch M1 real life test is 2,6GB/s read and write, after SLC cash (~200GB) drop down to 1,6GB/s write. Its basic max what can you got from Thunderbolt 3 or 4 or USB4 😀 The M2 Pro or M2 Max will be the same speeds in real life.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The USB speed limitations of Apple Silicon do not affect Thunderbolt, but only UBS C gen 1 and 2 (2X2 is not supported)
So you should have exactly the same speed.
My results with my Acasis enclosure are around 2.8GB/s read and 1.6GB/s write for both the 980 pro (1TB) and the WD SN850X (4TB). 2.8 is the limit of Thunderbolt, so it won't go any higher.

pumacorp

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
The USB speed limitations of Apple Silicon do not affect Thunderbolt, but only UBS C gen 1 and 2 (2X2 is not supported)
My results with my Acasis enclosure are around 2.8GB/s read and 1.6GB/s write for both the 980 pro (1TB) and the WD SN850X (4TB). 2.8 is the limit of Thunderbolt, so it won't go any higher.
Is the USB C 3.2 2x1 changed in the m2 macs to 2x2 ?I know they are not getting the speed they should in the M1

pumacorp

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2022
Thanks Appreciate the info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.