Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
It could be due to an iOS or tvOS update. I actually gave up on Amazon Prime via AirPlay a year ago...

Please forgive me. You are probably right because I am running iOS 11.2 beta 3. Some features of AirPlay 2 are being seen in the beta and better support for Amazon could be one of them. I will check things out in the Apple forums and try to be certain. If you can get your hands on the beta you should try it.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Please forgive me. You are probably right because I am running iOS 11.2 beta 3. Some features of AirPlay 2 are being seen in the beta and better support for Amazon could be one of them. I will check things out in the Apple forums and try to be certain. If you can get your hands on the beta you should try it.
No need for forgiveness! (Unless you are Jeff Bezos).

It could have been iOS 11 itself.

Reactions: HarryWild

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009

Ok my iPhone 6s+ is just laying around unused since I now have an iPhone X. I fired it up and updated it to iOS 11.1.2 and downloaded the Amazon app. My Apple TV 4K is running tvOS 11.1. AirPlay flawlessly worked! So it is not my beta on my iPad that causing the great streaming. In fact, when I beamed from the iPhone 6s+ to the OLED Tv using Apple TV 4K, the Amazon movie showed in full screen Dolby Vision!. So Apple and Amazon can keep fueding. I don’t need the Amazon app on the Apple TV.

Reactions: 370zulu

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Just used the Amazon Prime Video app on my iPad Pro 12.9 Gen2 (iOS 11.1.2) with Airplay to ATV4 non-4k (tvOS 11.1) and backgrounded the Amazon app to check out email and use the Amazon shopping app to order a few things. The video never dropped or suffered any performance. I have no 4K equipment at all, just 1080P. This works fine in my case. I'll use it until they release the official tvOS app.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
No need for forgiveness! (Unless you are Jeff Bezos).

It could have been iOS 11 itself.

As someone said above, Airplay is not really a solution for Prime Video. AFAIK, you've to keep the app open on your iPhone/iPad. Not a solution for me.

Airplay 2 is mainly about multi-room audio, improved latency and buffering, so Airplay can be better used for wireless speakers.

I have a couple of devices now supporting Prime Video (PS4, X1, Shield, FireTV Stick Basic Edition), but Apple TV is preferred because the UI is so much smoother and you can easily power it on/off with a Harmony remote,

Looks like Amazon is really going for "before the end of the year".... so my guess December 31st 23:59

On the other hand, The Grand Tour starts again December 8....

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
AFAIK, you've to keep the app open on your iPhone/iPad.

While I definitely agree that many will find that Airplay is not perfect or even ideal for their situation or equipment, on the iPad Pro 12.9gen2 and 10.5 with at least iOS 11.1.2, the app can be put in the background and the iPad can have the screen turned off and it will still stream. This is exactly how we are watching Man in the High Castle Season 2 again in prep for Season 3.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
While I definitely agree that many will find that Airplay is not perfect or even ideal for their situation or equipment, on the iPad Pro 12.9gen2 and 10.5 with at least iOS 11.1.2, the app can be put in the background and the iPad can have the screen turned off and it will still stream. This is exactly how we are watching Man in the High Castle Season 2 again in prep for Season 3.

100% true.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
100% true.
Not to beat a dead horse, but it didn't work like that last when I gave up on it.

The thing that annoyed me the most it's that when I would pause it for too long it would either disconnect or play without audio or only audio without video. It would usually forget where I was in the video after I restarted the app.

It was enough so infuriating that I deleted the app from my iPhone and iPad after a couple of weeks of this.

It may work well now, but I'm not installing Amazon Prime on one device to stream it to another.

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Not to beat a dead horse, but it didn't work like that last when I gave up on it.

The thing that annoyed me the most it's that when I would pause it for too long it would either disconnect or play without audio or only audio without video. It would usually forget where I was in the video after I restarted the app.

It was enough so infuriating that I deleted the app from my iPhone and iPad after a couple of weeks of this.

It may work well now, but I'm not installing Amazon Prime on one device to stream it to another.

I’ve had other apps that I’ve removed for similar reasons. Glad I never tried this with Prime before now or I may be in the same camp of not using it either.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I was bitchin and moanin about this when I first got my ATV4 a couple years ago. I stupidly have to have both the ATV4 and Roku4 on the same TV because of content differences, but the differences have narrowed to just this ONE now (Moviesanywhere is awesome). Roku then moves to the bedroom, I get rid of my buggy, unsupported ATV3, and there will be peace again. All due to the mythical Amazon app on ATV4. Cook and Bezos, make it happen.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No thanks. Airplay is not a real solution. Just get a Fire TV stick not there new POS dongle which is slower.

I think for many of us its a reasonable temporary solution until the Amazon app comes out of beta.
[doublepost=1511474877][/doublepost]
For those claiming the iOS App is a fine alternative - the resolution on the stream is lower and there is no surround sound.... these two reasons are why I’m keen for the native tvOS app

Amazon Prime Video supports 5.1 surround where available via AirPlay from an iOS devices. I can see the individual levels through my receiver plus its pretty easy to hear the difference as well. The ATV is decoding the audio track.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
For those claiming the iOS App is a fine alternative - the resolution on the stream is lower and there is no surround sound.... these two reasons are why I’m keen for the native tvOS app

That is not true. I AirPlay from an iPhone 6s+ using ATV 4K and it shows in Dolby Vision or HDR10 on the TV depending on the movie.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That is not true. I AirPlay from an iPhone 6s+ using ATV 4K and it shows in Dolby Vision or HDR10 on the TV depending on the movie.

Unless you are on a beta the ATV is always on HDR/DV and it upscales to 4K.

My 1080p non HDR content I home shared via iTunes shows 4K HDR on the TV.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Unless you are on a beta the ATV is always on HDR/DV and it upscales to 4K.

My 1080p non HDR content I home shared via iTunes shows 4K HDR on the TV.
Fine, but I don’t want to use my iPad and my Apple TV to watch Amazon Prime because it’s been a horrible experience in the past.

It was a mistake to go onstage and announce this app coming out in June by saying “later this year,” when it’s thanksgiving and we don’t have an app.

It feels like a bait and switch, or a huge ball drop.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s not the end of the world, but I personally expect more respect from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.