Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
From LifeWire.com:

"Apple TV vs. Amazon Prime
While it is easy to watch Amazon’s content on Apple TV, it isn’t entirely straightforward. That makes the process an annoying slice of unnecessary friction that reflects the rivalry between the two firms rather than any customer-focused mission.

It’s all about the business rivalry: Amazon wants to sell get its customers hooked on the Fire TV, while Apple believes the future of television is apps.

This aspect of the competition between the two firms is a pity for customers. With more than 66 million Prime users in the US and hit shows like Vikings to enjoy there must be many thousands of Apple TV owners who would love to access Amazon’s services using their device of choice."

Some may disagree but I think this pretty much hits the mark. :rolleyes:

Reactions: benji888

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Google today announced they are immediately removing YouTube from the Echo Show and Jan. 1, 2018 removing YouTube from all of Amazon Fire TV products. No end to the infighting these companies can come up with to make us misserable. The goal appears to be, stay in our echo system or get lost. On the streaming side, may just come down to using third party devices that all can agree to make apps for or having multiple devices. Not a customer friendly approach.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Google today announced they are immediately removing YouTube from the Echo Show and Jan. 1, 2018 removing YouTube from all of Amazon Fire TV products. No end to the infighting these companies can come up with to make us misserable. The goal appears to be, stay in our echo system or get lost. On the streaming side, may just come down to using third party devices that all can agree to make apps for or having multiple devices. Not a customer friendly approach.
Doesn't apply to the Apple TV though. This app is really all that is missing and it's coming in the new couple of weeks. I have no interest in anything going on between Google and Amazon.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Guys I have some advice for all of you. Go out, find a beautiful woman. Get laid. Relax... You’ll thank me for it. Trust me.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
If it comes out tomorrow (wednesday december 6th), I will retract my former statement that it has nothing to do with tvOS 11.2, someone in some thread last week said it would be out this week, just in time for some game, and tvOS 11.2 adds the new features for Sports, so, this just might be the case....

"What's new in tvOS 11.2
This update includes general performance and stability improvements and these features:

If it's not out tomorrow, I'll go back to my cynic mood. :p

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
If it comes out tomorrow (wednesday december 6th), I will retract my former statement that it has nothing to do with tvOS 11.2, someone in some thread last week said it would be out this week, just in time for some game, and tvOS 11.2 adds the new features for Sports, so, this just might be the case....

"What's new in tvOS 11.2
This update includes general performance and stability improvements and these features:

If it's not out tomorrow, I'll go back to my cynic mood. :p

Well it's Dec 6th and it's out. What say ye?

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Apple TV has been available to buy from Amazon for a while now.

No it hasn't, and it still is not right now. It was listed for like a day as coming soon a few months ago, but was pulled shortly thereafter, and never went back up for sale.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Now that the Amazon app is available, I have a question...

So, are we supposed to be able to do a search from the main screen of the Apple TV and see movies available in the Amazon app? For example, if I use Siri to search for "The Holiday" which is a movie included with your Prime subscription, my Apple TV shows me that it's available in Hulu, iTunes or Crackle. Why isn't it telling me that I can watch it in Amazon (for free)??

That's pretty useless if I have to search for movies inside multiple apps vs. a true universal search. What am I missing here? Does this functionality work for anyone else?

Thanks!

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I’m glad it’s out so now the whining can stop at least about this. However I don’t think I’ve ever used amazon prime video ever.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I’m glad it’s out so now the whining can stop at least about this. However I don’t think I’ve ever used amazon prime video ever.

I actually wanted to ask someone about that. I have prime and never touched the prime video app. With netflix, vudu, and iTunes movies it’s nore than enough.

Is there something I’m missing out on that makes it so popular? I get the feeling it’s like the old days of HD DVD and BD. They were testing the waters and studios were being paid off left and right for exclusivity. I presume that’s what’s happening here.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Now that the Amazon app is available, I have a question...

So, are we supposed to be able to do a search from the main screen of the Apple TV and see movies available in the Amazon app? For example, if I use Siri to search for "The Holiday" which is a movie included with your Prime subscription, my Apple TV shows me that it's available in Hulu, iTunes or Crackle. Why isn't it telling me that I can watch it in Amazon (for free)??

That's pretty useless if I have to search for movies inside multiple apps vs. a true universal search. What am I missing here? Does this functionality work for anyone else?

Thanks!
universal search and tv app are supported

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.