Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Fine, but I don’t want to use my iPad and my Apple TV to watch Amazon Prime because it’s been a horrible experience in the past.

It was a mistake to go onstage and announce this app coming out in June by saying “later this year,” when it’s thanksgiving and we don’t have an app.

It feels like a bait and switch, or a huge ball drop.

In the grand scheme of things, it’s not the end of the world, but I personally expect more respect from Apple.

To an extent I agree. While a little cumbersome using Airplay isn't a bad experience.

However when I hear "later this year" from any company I assume late Dec if I'm lucky. I wont specifically by something until the functionality exist.

Besides, Apple announced it however we are waiting for Amazon to release it. This could be due to legitimate delays maybe because of 4k HDR or something or it could be Amazon intentionally dragging their feet. Apple and Amazon have never been on the best of terms and for some reason those 2 make it "feel" personal.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
To an extent I agree. While a little cumbersome using Airplay isn't a bad experience.

However when I hear "later this year" from any company I assume late Dec if I'm lucky. I wont specifically by something until the functionality exist.

Besides, Apple announced it however we are waiting for Amazon to release it. This could be due to legitimate delays maybe because of 4k HDR or something or it could be Amazon intentionally dragging their feet. Apple and Amazon have never been on the best of terms and for some reason those 2 make it "feel" personal.
You’re right. I’m still annoyed.

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
Video streamed via AirPlay with the Amazon Prime maxes out at 1280x720 with AAC audio, no 5.1... here’s an example of Goliath playing... you can see the video is streaming less than 1080p (1280x640 in this case - see natural-size) and the codec is AAC (zaac)

Netflix etc streamed via airplay will show 1920x1080 for natural size and zac3 for audio.

Attachments

• 99FCF0BD-C072-40F0-A447-D0432EE86837.jpeg
    99FCF0BD-C072-40F0-A447-D0432EE86837.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
*Sigh* I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but can't justify the $179 price tag with no Prime Video.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I agree, airplay for Amazon Prime iOS app is hit-or-miss, some say it works great, but, my experience has been that it does not work well, I've had to close the app and reopen it or even restart my ATV, or my iOS device to get it to work, once it works, it can be interrupted if you go to a web page with a video ad, or for other reasons. Sometimes it doesn't restart well if I pause and come back to it, have to go through all the steps to get it to work again. I will say, I put the tvOS 11.2 beta on my ATV (4th gen.) and it is somewhat improved, but it still doesn't "just work".

Also, I agree, I think airplay for this only plays up to 720p, probably an app limitation, as AP(1) can do 1080p when it's working well. And while it may be sending matrixed surround via 2 channels, it is not the higher quality audio you get from playing directly from your ATV (any 2 gen. and up).

Another limitation with the iOS app, while you can stream free Prime Videos, you cannot purchase videos, (nor play purchased videos, but, not sure, since I have none I have purchased, I prefer blu-ray or iTunes for purchases, when available.)

Reactions: tonyr6

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I'm shocked Prime is still not on the ATV yet. Good god what's taking them so long? I've been pretty happy in Roku land for the past year or 2 but I have to admit that I miss the well designed and uniform UI you get with an ATV. I'd be very tempted to go back to an ATV if they ever get Prime finished (and airplay sucks and isn't a good enough substitute for a real app).

IMO, any streaming device that doesn't support Prime is a complete waste of money. I consider that to be like not supporting Netflix or Hulu.

Last edited:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
All I know is that shortly after Apple stated at their presentation that the Amazon app is coming soon, Amazon began carrying the ATV on their site after a years-long period of not, and it seemed like a sign of good will. And then, um, they removed it from their store again.

I noticed that absence so I ordered my second Apple TV elsewhere. I was lucky enough to find the 4K, 64 gb model at a slight discount. Apple's not shipping these till 2018 and could not find any in the local Apple Store.k It seems like the 32 gb model is readily available though. I'm not looking for Amazon to play nice with Apple TV any time soon. They seemed to be focused on their own Fire TV/Stick. If the Amazon Prime app appears fine, if not that's fine too.
[doublepost=1511996087][/doublepost]
*Sigh* I'm almost ready to pull the trigger, but can't justify the $179 price tag with no Prime Video.

I can understand your reluctance. For me it was not a big deal because I access Amazon Prime videos on my game console, Roku (TVs) and my one and only Firestick. I just bought another Apple TV so I could have one upstairs and one downstairs.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I got annoyed waiting so picked up a basic (not voice) $25 Fire Stick for this (my tv doesn't have apps). Dealing with an extra remote isn't great but it works well enough.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
I really don’t understand the angst. They said later this year. It’s 11/30 on this side of the dateline. Plenty of time left for it to be launched publicly.

Reactions: webbuzz

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Can someone explain why some people are so excited over Amazon Prime app? I had it for a month here in the UK and never used it as the films that I wanted to watch were not on it. (I accidentally agreed to a free month of it when making a purchase).
With so many great ways/apps/platforms to watch a film etc why the excitement of Amazon? Is it a thing for mainstream binge watching on something? Maybe it's because I don't watch the TV except for VOD but I really don't understand the love for it! Why are people making such a big deal out of something pretty basic?

Reactions: dman67

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Their original content. They also have stuff netflix doesn't. And it's included as part of your prime membership anyways.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Can someone explain why some people are so excited over Amazon Prime app? I had it for a month here in the UK and never used it as the films that I wanted to watch were not on it. (I accidentally agreed to a free month of it when making a purchase).
With so many great ways/apps/platforms to watch a film etc why the excitement of Amazon? Is it a thing for mainstream binge watching on something? Maybe it's because I don't watch the TV except for VOD but I really don't understand the love for it! Why are people making such a big deal out of something pretty basic?

Something to obsess on.

It's really that last piece that would make the Apple TV whole in many of our eyes (mine included).

I just hate using the smart TV interface and messing with other remotes when I could use one device and access it all.

Reactions: nburwell and D.T.

dan980

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017

Outside the US, the apple tv is pretty much a Netflix-only streaming device. Adding a second streaming provider is a great improvement.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Something to obsess on.

It's really that last piece that would make the Apple TV whole in many of our eyes (mine included).

I just hate using the smart TV interface and messing with other remotes when I could use one device and access it all.
The other problem with smart TVs is will they keep updating the firmware?

I have a 2013 blu-ray player that has streaming function, including Prime Video, but, it’s slow and crappy UI, this BD player has not had a firmware update since 2014, at less than 2 years old. I expect smart TVs will vary, some will see improvements via firmware updates, others will get dropped support once out of warranty. I’m not a fan of “smart” TVs, I’d rather they put more into the quality of the display, speakers, ports, etc.
[doublepost=1512157586][/doublepost]
I am SHOCKED they are allowing this app onto ATV2 and 3. lol.
Someone at amazon has had Prime Video working via Apple TV for years. ...The problem has been the competition between Amazon & Apple.

There are IDK how many millions of ATV 3s currently in use. If adding amazon Prime Video to those increases Prime subscribers, and purchases of content that isn’t included in Prime, it could be good for Amazon’s profits. The rumor is that amazon wasn’t willing to pay apple’s cut. Neither of them have made official statements other than it’s coming later this year, no one knows the details.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Something to obsess on.

My thoughts exactly. For my wife and I, the ATV4 has every app we need, except Amazon Video. Their original content is pretty good, but we really don't use the Amazon app much since there isn't a native ATV app. AP isn't really ideal, so we generally consume Prime content on our iPhone's or iPad's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.