Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I actually wanted to ask someone about that. I have prime and never touched the prime video app. With netflix, vudu, and iTunes movies it’s nore than enough.

Is there something I’m missing out on that makes it so popular? I get the feeling it’s like the old days of HD DVD and BD. They were testing the waters and studios were being paid off left and right for exclusivity. I presume that’s what’s happening here.
They have things the others don't. Amazon has some pretty good originals. And you get HBO's back catalog. They do have things that netflix doesn't.

However it can be organized poorly. UHD and HD content is separate. On netflix you have one movie that supports both and it scales to what you have. On amazon you have to select which one you want. So there's two of everything that has a UHD version. Finding content and managing your list can be a pain.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
No it hasn't, and it still is not right now. It was listed for like a day as coming soon a few months ago, but was pulled shortly thereafter, and never went back up for sale.

There certainly has been and I can currently see an Apple TV 4 available when I search in the UK.
062c35a4c70a31e9ec20b96fc5ed61de.jpg

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Guys I have some advice for all of you. Go out, find a beautiful woman. Get laid. Relax... You’ll thank me for it. Trust me.

So true my friend. These people simply binge watch. It's making them unhealthy. They complain at everything on this forum. No matter what Apple does, it's not good enough for them. Before they know it, their life will be over and they'll of spent it... watching HBO, Netflix, Amazon - all pure cr*p. I find it unbelievable that some people have truly sunk this low!

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Now that the Amazon app is available, I have a question...

So, are we supposed to be able to do a search from the main screen of the Apple TV and see movies available in the Amazon app? For example, if I use Siri to search for "The Holiday" which is a movie included with your Prime subscription, my Apple TV shows me that it's available in Hulu, iTunes or Crackle. Why isn't it telling me that I can watch it in Amazon (for free)??

That's pretty useless if I have to search for movies inside multiple apps vs. a true universal search. What am I missing here? Does this functionality work for anyone else?

Thanks!
works for me, at the home screen, pressed siri, said, "The Holiday", clicked on it, there it is, (Pic is from the TV app, not the Prime Video app):
IMG_5425a.jpg

[doublepost=1512586688][/doublepost]ALSO: Movies Anywhere content will show up in Video Library tab of Prime Video app, if you have linked Amazon Prime Video to your MA account.

EDIT: if this isn't working for you see my comment #111 below.

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I actually wanted to ask someone about that. I have prime and never touched the prime video app. With netflix, vudu, and iTunes movies it’s nore than enough.

Is there something I’m missing out on that makes it so popular? I get the feeling it’s like the old days of HD DVD and BD. They were testing the waters and studios were being paid off left and right for exclusivity. I presume that’s what’s happening here.

They have some pretty good originals. It's all part of the Prime membership you are already paying for so why not just check it out? I have really liked Man in High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle, Catastrophe and what has been one of my favorite shows of this year - Sneaky Pete.

However it can be organized poorly.

Agree here but Netflix isn't all that much better and Hulu has become a weird mess where it's impossible to find anything.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Agree here but Netflix isn't all that much better and Hulu has become a weird mess where it's impossible to find anything.
Netflix is light years beyond amazon searching and organizing. I refuse to use Hulu so I don't know how that's organized.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Netflix is light years beyond amazon searching and organizing. I refuse to use Hulu so I don't know how that's organized.

I don't know about "light years." My List doesn't allow you to sort in any way and it seems like the order is by date you added to My List, not even newest episodes (I think), not alphabetical.

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I don't know about "light years." My List doesn't allow you to sort in anyway and it seems like the order is by date you added to My List, not even newest episodes (I think), not alphabetical.
No, it's not ordered well. But searching for and finding things on netflix is much easier than amazon. And as I said before, amazon also makes 2 separate copies of your HD and UHD content. And for a series on amazon you have to add each season to your wishlist instead of just the one series. Discovering content is also much easier on netflix.
For amazon I found the best way to work with it is from a desktop and add what I want to my wishlist and then go to a streaming device and watch.

Last edited:

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Now that the Amazon app is available, I have a question...

So, are we supposed to be able to do a search from the main screen of the Apple TV and see movies available in the Amazon app? For example, if I use Siri to search for "The Holiday" which is a movie included with your Prime subscription, my Apple TV shows me that it's available in Hulu, iTunes or Crackle. Why isn't it telling me that I can watch it in Amazon (for free)??

That's pretty useless if I have to search for movies inside multiple apps vs. a true universal search. What am I missing here? Does this functionality work for anyone else?

Thanks!
It does work with TV app, up next, universal search, however, this is what I experienced:

"At launch the Amazon Prime Video app doesn't automatically connect with the TV app. In our trials, the first time you ask a video to play, the device will pop up a dialog box, asking the user to connect to the app." - from apple insider article

Once you do this^ you should find it all working.

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
It does work with TV app, up next, universal search, however, this is what I experienced:

"At launch the Amazon Prime Video app doesn't automatically connect with the TV app. In our trials, the first time you ask a video to play, the device will pop up a dialog box, asking the user to connect to the app." - from apple insider article

Once you do this^ you should find it all working.

Yes. I had the dialog box pop up with that question.
I answered in the affirmative.
I can search for holiday using Seri and can see the button to play it on Amazon Prime.
After selecting the Amazon Prime button, it calls up the app to play it.
This works very well in my opinion.

I can't test 5.1 audio with my hardware setup.
I am only using stereo with the connection to the HDTV as far as I know.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
That is not sold by amazon, it is sold by a third party retailer. In the U.S. there aren't even 3rd party retailers selling it on amazon.

Yup. Neither in Italy. Actually I checked for a while the Italian, US, and UK shops and I could never find it in Amazon UK either. Hopefully, if Amazon will ever sell it, they will fix the 5.1 audio first. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.