Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What were your reasons for getting a new iPhone?

• Total voters

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
My iPhone X is down to 77% capacity. Plus, I think the OLED is impacting my eye-sight more than I realise. Plus, Trading that in at £140, the new iPhone SE3 256GB on a 2 year (direct with Apple) was too good to pass. Plus, I get a red phone again.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
For twice the price can get double big Mac, with new special interphase, can be treated a 1 big Mac by consumer.
You’re making me hungry. 😂

Almost bedtime over here lol.

A double big mac with extra mac sauce would go down well right about now. 🤔

Reactions: MacLappy

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
Because I want to.

I need a device to make phone calls, send texts and emails and snap infrequent pictures of stuff at the grocery store (so my wife can see what she wants me to bring home).

Any old Android can do that and I do not need a bazillion megapixels so my wife can make a choice between flavors of Cheerios or brands of tartar sauce. But I prefer iOS, and that only runs on Apple devices.

So, I get a new iPhone because I like how it looks. I know it will already do what I need it to do.
Same. Except I’d add Tim Cook also wanted me to. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: eyoungren

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
With my most recent purchase of the 13 Pro, it was mainly the camera system. My phone is the only camera I have and I like it to be able to shoot reasonably nice photos.

But the other improvements were nice as well, like getting a fresh battery and the 120 Hz screen.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Whenever a larger screen in a smaller body be it a laptop or iPhone becomes available I find it too enticing for me to pass up.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
My Iphone 8 was little over 2 1/2 years old, contract just paid off, and I really liked that phone, planned to keep it at least another year. And then, the battery suddenly started swelling. So, long story short I'm now owner of a new Iphone 13.

Reactions: Andeddu

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I have an iPhone XR and its still perfect, however I might upgrade to the 14 for better cameras.

I never use my DSLR anymore since I got the XR, so I might sell that and use the money for an iPhone upgrade.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
For I think only the 2nd time, I upgraded to the 13PM from the prior years 12PM. Normally I would wait at least 2 years but this year, the Apple trade in plus a bit back from my carrier let me up grade for only $100 extra. Plus the 13PM had the better screen, 120hz refresh, Promotion video and better overall camera all of which I am enjoying. I am happy to say that the 13PM is the best iPhone I have had so far and I started with the original.

Reactions: MacLappy

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’d had my iPhone 7 since launch, and it was getting a bit wonky. Battery health was down to 80%, there was some wear on the screen, and it had restarted a few times just out of nowhere, so I thought it was time to replace it. I was also really looking forward to Face ID and the Pro camera’s, which put me over the edge of replacing now versus in a year’s time.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I went other.

I get bored way too fast with phones. Went 12 Mini from 12 Pro last time, pretty sure I will get a 14 Max (if its a thing)

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Where's the option for 'impatience'? 😂

Had a 12 Pro.

Was trying to hold old for the 14 Pro. Saw Apple would give me £450 trade in for it against a new finance plan meaning I'd be saving aroudn £7 per month. Saw pics of a gold Pro and Sequioa green leather case and caved.

• Haha
Reactions: circatee

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
In my case it was due to the fact my old 6s wouldn’t last a day on a charge, even with a brand new battery (so it wasn’t really a worn out battery).
I was pretty happy with it apart from the battery, so i had to upgrade (heck, for my use case, the speed difference between the 6s and the 13 is noticeable but not worth the upgrade alone). My current 13 is great, but I don’t love it as much as I did my trusty 6s, which is now enjoying its retirement in a drawer!
I know I could have gotten an SE, but reading the comments about its crappy battery life didn’t inspire much confidence in the long run, as I like to keep my devices for a loooong time.

spamaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2019
Went from 12 mini to 13 pro mainly due to three things: the battery of the 12 mini just did not last long enough for me, i missed having a telephoto lens, and i wanted to see what 120hz was all about :)

If I could have a mini-size iPhone with good battery, three cameras, and promotion, i would get that one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbareren

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
My job lets us expense $100 for mobile phone/plan per month. So I took up the offer and signed up for a $50 AT&T month and $35 monthly equipment charge. So I chose the 512GB Sierra Blue Pro model.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Honestly, FOMO and impulsivity. lol. There was nothing wrong at all with my 8+, I was just bored and wanted something new. I discovered I absolutely hate Face ID though, after cycling through 4 different phones thinking the next one would work better. Nope. Maybe I'm just that hideous but it fails on me probably a good 50% of the time no matter how much I tweak the settings or re-register my face. Picked up a 256gb 8+ from the Apple refurbished store and am kicking myself for spending so much money 😣

• Love
Reactions: catean

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
SE2022: My (emergency-purchased) 2020 SE was black 64GB, and the battery's down to 85%. I wanted more storage and white so just ordered the Starlight 128GB. I'm hooked on TouchID/home button so no other models are an option for me.
I considered the 256GB but I figure if I haven't filled 64GB in 6 years (carried over from my original SE) I should be good with 128, esp. if I actually delete things occasionally! ;)

Reactions: forestinjersey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.