Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Hey all,

so it’s no surprise at this point that a bunch of people are thinking of returning their M1 iPads based on WWDC.

One of the things brought up is Pro apps, though that could mean different things. For example, if they just bring in Final Cut Pro and I see nothing about Xcode or things to help developers develop on it, I will still have a 2021 Pro but I will send the one I have back and move to a lower model. So I guess what I’m really looking for is better development capability.

So, when it comes to you personally, what specifically do you need to see in order to keep it?

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
I’ll be keeping mine regardless of what is announced. But I’m hoping to see the following.

- extended desktop support when connected to an external monitor.
- better file system with progress bars for file transfers
- a way to prevent apps from reloading when multitasking
- access to desktop class professional apps

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Nothing. I will keep it regardles.

but I would like to see :
- full external display support
- multi window / multitasking improvements
- improvements to the file app
- signs of development of pro apps such as Bigger games, business apps like excel with more of the features it has on the laptops or desktops
- Home Screen redesign with more free placement of widgets

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Hey all,

so it’s no surprise at this point that a bunch of people are thinking of returning their M1 iPads based on WWDC.

One of the things brought up is Pro apps, though that could mean different things. For example, if they just bring in Final Cut Pro and I see nothing about Xcode or things to help developers develop on it, I will still have a 2021 Pro but I will send the one I have back and move to a lower model. So I guess what I’m really looking for is better development capability.

So, when it comes to you personally, what specifically do you need to see in order to keep it?
I wouldn't have bought the M1 iPad Pro if I wasn't in it for the long haul. I don't view the first round of feature changes as being the total sum of what Apple has planned. I think that people expecting to get everything they want (or even most of it) right out of the gate are not being realistic.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can’t really say. I never expected Apple to put an M1 chip in the iPad nor add 16GB RAM. So, it’s really up in the air… there’s been rumors of a redesign HomeScreen… and I know all that means is widgets being freely used on the entire screen. Perhaps, AppLibrary for the iPad might make an appearance… adding widgets and AppLibrary really wouldn’t impress me much.

As much as I would like a revamp in multitasking… not sure if that’s in the cards. But if anything…. That would be specifically what I’m looking for. However, I could ask for multitasking and they do something totally different for which I won’t expect.

I‘m sure Apple is going to release some great features for all compatible iPads, but I’m looking at what they do for M1 iPP users.

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
Full Display output in all formats 1440p 144hz.
Full Mac OS support.
11” OLED iPad Pro M2
1) Why would Apple build MacOS support into the iPad line and essentially nuke their own MacBook business? Yes, dedicated laptops like the MacBook will always hold some key advantages....But it would totally destroy many of the other uses.
2) OLED on an 11" iPad with an M2.....before the tech is introduced in the MacBook (or perhaps the iMac) line first? Not gonna happen.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don‘t need to see anything. When I purchased my iPad I did it based on what the iPad can offer now, not on what might become one day..It is childish and foolish to buy a device just because maybe, someday its functions will become better..
I thought you went with the M1 MBP over the M1 iPP…. I didn’t know you purchased the M1 iPP as well, what was the reason for the change?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I need iPad Pro so I keep it. That simple. Why bother letting WWDC be your purchasing decision, especially for personal device? I enjoy using iPad way more than using iPhone, even for the largest size. I use iPad whenever I can. It’s just amazing.

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Nothing For me.

The few on here that have buyers remorse maybe, not really a good sample out of millions sold.

Not everyone buys from where that can return anyway.

Hey all,

Reactions: LFC2020

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I've been very much on the fence about replacing my 2017 10.5 Pro With a 2021 M1 Pro. But seeing Xcode made available on the iPad, with the ability to end-to-end create apps for iOS on an iOS device.. I would immediately buy the new iPad Pro. I feel like that would be the very definition of Pro.

I would like other stuff too, like a little more robustness to the Files app, a rework to the gestures involved in multitasking, and something that helps devs to make their apps losslessly suspend when being backgrounded (honestly I want that for Safari more than anything else). But none of that would truly sway me.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m keeping my iPad 11 inch regardless of WWDC. That being said, I want to see a menu bar and proper windowing.
That’s interesting. I never really thought of a menu bar. Features like that…. I wouldn’t expect Apple to bring to iPadOS, but it could happen.

I’d be good with just widgets and maybe some icon updates. It does everything I need for now.
Ye with so small expectation. I’m curious… Why not go with an iPad Air 2020? Or did the XDR Display appealed to you?

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
If anyone needs ANYTHING announced at WWDC as reason to KEEP their 2021 iPP, they might have been better off waiting and see to buy one.

That way those who didn't need to wait for WWDC & didn't get their's in the first wave, might have their's now & happily using it.

You buy a product for what it can do now, not based on the possible promise of what it MAY do in the future.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
If anyone needs ANYTHING announced at WWDC as reason to KEEP their 2021 iPP, they might have been better off waiting and see to buy one.

That way those who didn't need to wait for WWDC & didn't get their's in the first wave, might have their's now & happily using it.

You buy a product for what it can do now, not based on the possible promise of what it MAY do in the future.
Agreed 100%.. I got lucky and scored a 12.9” Pro from one of the local Apple Stores yesterday so I canceled my existing order that had not shipped… Whatever WWDC announces, iPad OS wise, will just be icing on the cake for me…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.