Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
I had the 12,9 2020 and I was very happy with it but a little bit short with disk space. I sold it for a good price and bought the 2021 hopping for Final Cut Pro to be announce or release for wwdc.

I bought before wwdc because i was pretty sure it can be hard to get one before 2 month: the screen is a little bit better but not a waouh effect but the big problem is blooming . I don’t understand why so many people are so kind with apple, a device at this price! 90 % of the time I don’t see it but the evening with dark background and white it’s totally obvious !

so, if they don’t release Final Cut Pro on iPad, i don’t see the reason for me to have the m1 for 700 $ more than a 2020 refurbished

( I mainly do procreate, Lightroom and starting to use nomad sculpt, maybe the m1 can be useful for this app but never see the limits of my previous 2020 iPad Pro )

And that’s a good point. Between the shortage with the display and people buying them up who are uncertain about keeping them, it kind of forces you to be one of those people if you want to be certain you will have one at the point you may want it.

Reactions: Wils_sliW

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
I don’t understand these threads… if you were not sure or didn’t want to spend the money on a new iPad, why did you? Apple upgrades their hardware every year, this is no different. Yes, they have finally put a desktop class processor in the machine, yes it is more powerful, yes … yes…. You knew what the OS on it was and it’s capabilities, if not limitations… You know that the OS is updated/upgraded every year as well… I just don’t understand the if Apple doesn’t do this I’m taking it back mentality….

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I need iPad Pro so I keep it. That simple. Why bother letting WWDC be your purchasing decision, especially for personal device? I enjoy using iPad way more than using iPhone, even for the largest size. I use iPad whenever I can. It’s just amazing.
Unfortunately, a lot of people gamble with the hardware and software release correlation wheel. And when the wheel doesn’t land like they hoped, they commence with the angry rebukes against Apple.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don’t understand these threads… if you were not sure or didn’t want to spend the money on a new iPad, why did you? Apple upgrades their hardware every year, this is no different. Yes, they have finally put a desktop class processor in the machine, yes it is more powerful, yes … yes…. You knew what the OS on it was and it’s capabilities, if not limitations… You know that the OS is updated/upgraded every year as well… I just don’t understand the if Apple doesn’t do this I’m taking it back mentality….
Your reasoning is solid. However, this is MR where up is often down and right is wrong a lot of the time. Very frustrating to read at times. Lol

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
And that’s a good point. Between the shortage with the display and people buying them up who are uncertain about keeping them, it kind of forces you to be one of those people if you want to be certain you will have one at the point you may want it.
That's a rationalization for speculative buying.

If one is buying a device on the hopes of what it may do, all the while complaining about what it does or doesn't do now, there's a good chance that WWDC isn't going to be enough.

It's also just not logical, if not flat out B.S. WWDC is in June, but the release of new OS is usually September. So why does anyone need an iPad for the date they announce what's coming 3 months later? For all the carrying on about the costs of the iPad, I find it unlikely those same carrying on are willing to risk running beta versions on that same iPad.

Those of us who end up keeping an old iPad often try out the beta for the months leading up to release, but keep the current / new iPad on the current OS that is stable. Saying one NEEDS or WANTS something for the date something else is announced, but NOT actually when they will get it doesn't make sense. Unless some are saying that iPadOS will suddenly get dropped at WWDC.

In the meantime those who want an iPad at release who have no issues with the way it currently runs maybe out of luck due to speculators carrying on about how they may not even keep their iPad. ?

If the IOS is so important to justify keeping the iPad, it would make more sense just to wait to see what WWDC offers, buy the iPad when the new IOS is dropped, and get it with the new OS installed.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
What?? Return the what??? How dare anyone suggest such thing? Lol.

Once my iPad gets checked out for the halo issue and either fix/replace/ keep all depends on what the geek bench sees.. I bought the iPad because I wanted it. Watching that Apple event made me very glad I waited to upgrade. I had my other iPad Pro for 5 years, used every single day.

As for WWDC, it has nothing to do with my decision in purchasing the 2021 iPad…

Geek bench is a benchmark software? Are you referring to the Genius Bar?

Reactions: Chazani

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Hey all,

so it’s no surprise at this point that a bunch of people are thinking of returning their M1 iPads based on WWDC.

One of the things brought up is Pro apps, though that could mean different things. For example, if they just bring in Final Cut Pro and I see nothing about Xcode or things to help developers develop on it, I will still have a 2021 Pro but I will send the one I have back and move to a lower model. So I guess what I’m really looking for is better development capability.

So, when it comes to you personally, what specifically do you need to see in order to keep it?
The question I have is, "what caused you to buy an M1 iPad in the first place?"

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
On one end… I totally understand the majority who says… “you buy the device for what it is now not for whatever the future plans might be.” Cannot argue with that at all. However, there’s no denying that there’s a low hanging fruit in this situation. And it is iPadOS.

From every reviewer to content creators and even blogs (not that I’m drawing my purchasing decision on them), the main draw with the M1 iPP is that the bottleneck is iPadOS. I know what I signed up for when I purchased this device… I’m totally aware of the limitations, but in the same context I’m also aware that iPadOS needs to be optimized to take advantage of the hardware on the M1 iPP.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
On one end… I totally understand the majority who says… “you buy the device for what it is now not for whatever the future plans might be.” Cannot argue with that at all. However, there’s no denying that there’s a low hanging fruit in this situation. And it is iPadOS.

From every reviewer to content creators and even blogs (not that I’m drawing my purchasing decision on them), the main draw with the M1 iPP is that the bottleneck is iPadOS. I know what I signed up for when I purchased this device… I’m totally aware of the limitations, but in the same context I’m also aware that iPadOS needs to be optimized to take advantage of the hardware on the M1 iPP.
...and given Apple's historically glacially slow approach to adding functionality to iPadOS, people shouldn't expect a version of iPadOS that can truly exploit the power of the M1 for at least another 3-4 years. Expecting it to happen months later is simply a flight of fancy.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
...and given Apple's historically glacially slow approach to adding functionality to iPadOS, people shouldn't expect a version of iPadOS that can truly exploit the power of the M1 for at least another 3-4 years. Expecting it to happen months later is simply a flight of fancy.
And after that 3-4 years a very large number of people who love being early adapters will have upgraded again to the newer, shinier iPad models and repeat the process again!

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Nothing, I bought it to replace my 10.5" iPad before, and that it has done.

Anything announced is a bonus.

Why would I have bought it on the expectation or hope that something cool gets announced to increase the usefulness of the iPad? If I was going to do that I'd just wait for iPad OS to come out with the new version this Sept...

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018

The issue is that much of what people are now looking for has zero to do with M1 or its power; things like improved external display support for example should be easily do-able M1 chip or not; there's so much Apple could add to iPadOS without the M1

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Fair enough! But I’m fairly confident Apple is going to address the M1 iPP at WWDC. And what makes me confident of this are three reasons. One being that it was released announced about a month or so ago, however… you could make a case that could go against Apple optimizing a device in a short amount of time.

But, the elephant in the room has to be the M1 iPP at WWDC… in regards to iPadOS. My belief is that Apple will discuss the device when speaking about iPadOS, it’s their headlining iPad at the moment. And the 2nd reason is exactly what you mention about Apple 3-4 year pace of improving iPadOS. Although, you are specifically talking about the M1 chip.

But my point being is that their hasn’t been any major improvement of the iPad since iOS 9 with revamped multitasking. They tweaked some areas of multitasking over the years, but from 2015… we haven’t seen any major improvements thus far. And the 3rd reason is the chatter from the public.

As I mention in the previous post.. the criticism of iPadOS is loud as ever, especially with the introduction of M1 iPP. Ever since 16GB RAM was discovered on the iPP… going from 6GB to 16GBs of RAM, head scratching has gone to new levels. There has to be something behind it, or I don’t know it could be a troll on Apple’s part.

Applecool78

macrumors member
May 30, 2021
Hey all,

so it’s no surprise at this point that a bunch of people are thinking of returning their M1 iPads based on WWDC.

One of the things brought up is Pro apps, though that could mean different things. For example, if they just bring in Final Cut Pro and I see nothing about Xcode or things to help developers develop on it, I will still have a 2021 Pro but I will send the one I have back and move to a lower model. So I guess what I’m really looking for is better development capability.

So, when it comes to you personally, what specifically do you need to see in order to keep it?
I’m keeping my iPad Pro 12.9in m1 I will fine if they don’t add Final cut I’m keeping my iPad Pro either way

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
There are a couple of things that caused me to give up and go back to the Mac as my daily driver. They would both have to be resolved before I'd go back to iPadOS full time:

1) App pairings need to act like "Spaces" on macOS. Right now, very few apps I use fully support multitasking/multi-windowing in iPadOS. Apple can make those features available all they want, but if developers are going to ignore them without any repercussions, I have little hope that this situation is going to improve without a major overhaul to the OS.

2) I love using the iPad Pro as a laptop and notepad/sketchpad, but taking the above complaint into consideration, it's not the best tool for me anymore. The heat, speed, and performance issues on Mac that caused me to leave in the first place have all been solved by M1. The iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard attached is thicker, heavier, and more frustrating to use for my job than the Mac due to not having anything truly Spaces-like that doesn't decide for me where it wants my apps to sit.

I realize all this can change with a single software update. Do I think that update is coming next week? Nope.

Chazani

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Geek bench is a benchmark software? Are you referring to the Genius Bar?
Yes you are 100% correct. I was obviously tired last night but yeah genius bar. Thank you for letting me know ☺️

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The issue is that much of what people are now looking for has zero to do with M1 or its power; things like improved external display support for example should be easily do-able M1 chip or not; there's so much Apple could add to iPadOS without the M1
Exactly. This is why all of this hootenanny about what a person is going to do with their M1 iPad Pro if Apple doesn't deliver at WWDC is misplaced.

As I've stated repeatedly in other threads, the hardware capabilities of the iPad stopped being the impediment to the platform with the introduction of the 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro. Ever since, it has been iOS/iPadOS that's been holding the platform "back".

Reactions: ericwn

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
literally nothing - it does everything I need in its current form (truth be told, so does the iPad Air 4 - just not as nicely ?)

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Exactly. This is why all of this hootenanny about what a person is going to do with their M1 iPad Pro if Apple doesn't deliver at WWDC is misplaced.

As I've stated repeatedly in other threads, the hardware capabilities of the iPad stopped being the impediment to the platform with the introduction of the 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro. Ever since, it has been iOS/iPadOS that's been holding the platform "back".
I'd like to argue that it's not so much Apple but the developers. What I need is for developers to add desktop-like features to their mobile apps. Apple, in my opinion, has given them most of what developers need by providing the hardware but now it's up to the software engineers to take advantage of it all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.