Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
Still waiting on my DBrand Grip for iPhone 11 Pro. Ordered an black Otterbox Symmetry case. Should be here today. Anyone like the OB Symmetry?

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
I like it. Just find the tpu to be a bit too flexible.

Thanks for the heads up. The TPU is more a bit more flexible than the last cast I was using. Especially near the volume buttons. Other than that, buttons are great, feel in hand is great, and I enjoy the understated look.

Reactions: AE14

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
Sample one for us eh

Sample one for us eh

Done.

Reactions: blaine07

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
Just slapped on my new DBrand Grip case for my iPhone 11 Pro. First impressions: basically a Rhinoshield SolidSuit, with better handling from the grippy sides. The buttons are just as or more tactile than the SolidSuit. Almost looks just like a SolidSuit case too, but has more aggressive styling. I didn’t get any skins with the case, because I’m just not into them.

I’ll update in a week and again in a month.

Reactions: Jaggrey and AE14

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Update on blacked out leather UAG Monarch. Still love this case! Got a few compliments already on it, even from a girl lol.

I find that a microfiber gets rid of the fingerprints on the matte black frame quite easily so I'm not too worried about that. Bottom isn't saggy and the case doesn't feel loose.

Reactions: AE14

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Just slapped on my new DBrand Grip case for my iPhone 11 Pro. First impressions: basically a Rhinoshield SolidSuit, with better handling from the grippy sides. The buttons are just as or more tactile than the SolidSuit. Almost looks just like a SolidSuit case too, but has more aggressive styling. I didn’t get any skins with the case, because I’m just not into them.

I’ll update in a week and again in a month.
Any chance you'd wanna share some photos? I was planning on getting one of these a while back but when I learned they exist they weren't even available for order and then I just kinda forgot.

Reactions: twx

stefanooo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
The Rebel case is soooooo ugly tho...

After a lot of cases I'm back to Tech21 Evo Check. It works, saved previous phones numerous times.

Spigen Liquid Air and Otterbox Symmetry are okay. Rest of the lot that I tried is a future no-go.

Rhinoshield SolidSuit/ModNX and/or Dbrand Grip are the only two I might check out. Had a SolidSuit before (Pixel3) and it was so hard-plasticy-non-grippy that I'm reluctant to give it another chance.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Just seen this on Twitter. Anyone know what case this is?

e9506b38fe389da2f1eecb97efab2049.png

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
I don't have the pics yet, but I would like to share some thoughts on the DBrand Grip. It is extremely similar to the Rhinoshield SolidSuit, so I'll be doing a lot of comparing.

1. It's basically a Rhinoshield SolidSuit, except slightly grippier. Literally the only thing that makes this case slightly grippier are the sticky ridges on each side of the case.

2. The edges are sharper than the SolidSuit. The cutouts at the bottom are sharp. Resting the phone on your pinky hurts after a few minutes. Also, there is perimeter around the back of the case (pictured below) that has uncomfortable edges when using the phone for prolonged times. Stuff like dust and debris can get lodged in here as well.

IMG_1536.jpg

4. I don't use a DBrand skin with the case. Just bare. The back of the case isn't really grippy or tacky at all. The back of the plain black back of the SolidSuit is actually grippier.

5. Appearances: Other than the somewhat grippy ridges on the sides of the case and the "GRIP" logo on the back, it's nearly identical in looks to the plain black SolidSuit. Side by side, it's hard to tell the difference if you can't see the "GRIP" lettering.

6. Buttons: the buttons are good, if not great on the Grip. The only thing that bothers me is that my lock button makes a creak sound when I press it.

7. The Grip fits the phone tight, but not as tight as the SolidSuit.

8. Conclusion: If you want a case for protection and really want to use a DBrand skin, then this case is for you. If you just want great protection (no skin), I'd just get a Rhinoshield SolidSuit.

stefanooo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
8. Conclusion: If you want a case for protection and really want to use a DBrand skin, then this case is for you. If you just want great protection (no skin), I'd just get a Rhinoshield SolidSuit.

Thanks for the extensive overview! Is there a difference in grippyness between various SolidSuit models (plain/carbon/leather)? And how about SolidSuit vs. ModNX?

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the extensive overview! Is there a difference in grippyness between various SolidSuit models (plain/carbon/leather)? And how about SolidSuit vs. ModNX?

My pleasure! I believe the plain black SolidSuit has the most tack on the backplate. The sides are all the same. I have not had the leather, but I had the carbon for my XS and it was slippery. Haven’t used the ModNX yet, so I can’t comment on that comparison.

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
I’ve switched back to the plain black Rhinoshield SolidSuit. However, my case addiction has tricked me into purchasing 3 different Cyrill Color Brick by Ciel cases (subsidiary of Spigen).

MobileReviewsEH gave it a really good review and is very affordable for the quality delivered. Looking forward to these cases. Will have them in time for the weekend!

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks to suggestions of in thread, I cured my case addiction by buying an Apple leather case + another heavier duty case and just switch back and forth lol

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
Thanks to suggestions of in thread, I cured my case addiction by buying an Apple leather case + another heavier duty case and just switch back and forth lol

I wish I could be cured. I have a big drawer at my office that is packed full of cases for the 11 Pro and Pro Max. I switch between all of them throughout the life cycle of the phone.

twx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
Michigan, USA
Received my Cyrill Color Brick by Ciel today for my iPhone 11 Pro. First impression: do not sleep on this case. Not sure how this one flew under the radar for so long, but this case so far is checking all the right boxes for an overall fantastic looking and handling case. I'll elaborate further in about a week or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.