Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I was going to stick this bad boy in direct sunlight tomorrow for several hours then hit it with some Smith’s organic leather balm.

Depending on how dark you want it, you could put the balm on before the sun.

I work with leather a lot...i usually apply the oil first, then sun, if I want to darken it. Doing this, the longer the sun exposure, the darker it can get.

Furthermore, depending on the look you want, you could apply the oil/balm just on the edges and slightly around the back (where your hands would contact) then put it in the sun.

On my brown XS case from last year, I believe I also wiped it with alcohol to remove any wax that Apple put on it to preserve the leather. So this at your own risk though, as the alcohol dries the natural leather oils and too much can affect the leather fibers.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Depending on how dark you want it, you could put the balm on before the sun.

I work with leather a lot...i usually apply the oil first, then sun, if I want to darken it. Doing this, the longer the sun exposure, the darker it can get.

Furthermore, depending on the look you want, you could apply the oil/balm just on the edges and slightly around the back (where your hands would contact) then put it in the sun.

On my brown XS case from last year, I believe I also wiped it with alcohol to remove any wax that Apple put on it to preserve the leather. So this at your own risk though, as the alcohol dries the natural leather oils and too much can affect the leather fibers.
Would leaving in the sun first allow the wax coating to melt away? I want a slightly darkened case and then let the rest naturally occur over time.

This is off subject, but I value everyone’s suggestions. Since you work with leather, what boot would you recommend in the $500-$1,000 range? Preferably something business casual with or without a shank and has a Goodyear welt? I’ve been using my Made in Englands for the past 6 years and they’re due for a resole. But, I really don’t think it’s worth dumping money into these boots.

Last edited:

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Buttons are trash, the “leather” peels away after a month of usage and don’t forget about the banana cases as of recent. I’d also say the otterbox can hold its own and it’s been proven to be reliable. Plus superior customer support from otterbox.
I disagree. Buttons are good, no leather peel on my 3 Contour cases, and I've had them since they launched. Banana issue is with Limitless 3.0, not Contour. I've returned two Symmetry cases. No grip at the bottom of the sides and back.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I disagree. Buttons are good, no leather peel on my 3 Contour cases, and I've had them since they launched. Banana issue is with Limitless 3.0, not Contour. I've returned two Symmetry cases. No grip at the bottom of the sides and back.

C'mon NO grip . The bottom sides has half rubber, plenty of grip, you don't hold the phone by the back without holding a bit of the bottom or side edge too, lol
Back has a bit of texture and not what i would call slippery anyway. Don't buy a UAG pathfinder you will be really slipping and a sliding haha.

Reactions: nrvous1

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Fair enough. For my personal preference the buttons are not to my liking as well as pretty much everyone else on this thread. The buttons are just a covered opening with a piece of plastic/tpu that does not extend into the case making contact with the phones buttons before pressed which requires a lot of pressure. But, that’s subjective. I also have two contour cases and one started to peel and is warped. My limitless in black leather isn’t bowed, but again, the buttons. That still doesn’t excuse the poor craftsmanship on Mous’ part whether it’s on the contour or the limitless. I have both and both have the issue to an extend. For the price, this shouldn’t be an issue at all.

The bottom sag is insane on my first contour case and I had to modify my second replacement contour with a heat gun and pressure. I’m glad the contour worked out for you though, for the price and it’s flaws, it’s not the case for myself.

I’ve also returned a couple of symmetry cases and ended up settling on the clear symmetry, a commuter and a defender pro. The grip on the clear symmetry is better compared to the black symmetry. The commuter and defender pro offer the most grip out of all three I’ve tried.
[automerge]1576385678[/automerge]
Anyone tried the Razer Arctech Pro? If so, please share your thoughts on it. Thx.
Aaron Ho made a video on the razer cases with thermal imaging to show the temperature differences. If I remember correctly, it’s a decent case with normal protection and good grip. The “thermal” insulator doesn’t work very well. It seems to have the perforated back that disperses heat similar to passive cooling rather than active cooling. I think it decreased heat by 1-2*.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabesh

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
C'mon NO grip . The bottom sides has half rubber, plenty of grip, you don't hold the phone by the back without holding a bit of the bottom or side edge too, lol
Back has a bit of texture and not what i would call slippery anyway. Don't buy a UAG pathfinder you will be really slipping and a sliding haha.
That "bit" isn't enough for me. Deal breaker ? The most slippery cases that I've tried thus far are the Rhinoshields.
[automerge]1576386080[/automerge]
Fair enough. For my personal preference the buttons are not to my liking as well as pretty much everyone else on this thread. The buttons are just a covered opening with a piece of plastic/tpu that does not extend into the case making contact with the phones buttons before pressed which requires a lot of pressure. But, that’s subjective. I also have two contour cases and one started to peel and is warped. My limitless in black leather isn’t bowed, but again, the buttons. That still doesn’t excuse the poor craftsmanship on Mous’ part whether it’s on the contour or the limitless. I have both and both have the issue to an extend. For the price, this shouldn’t be an issue at all.

The bottom sag is insane on my first contour case and I had to modify my second replacement contour with a heat gun and pressure. I’m glad the contour worked out for you though, for the price and it’s flaws, it’s not the case for myself.

I’ve also returned a couple of symmetry cases and ended up settling on the clear symmetry, a commuter and a defender pro. The grip on the clear symmetry is better compared to the black symmetry. The commuter and defender pro offer the most grip out of all three I’ve tried.
[automerge]1576385678[/automerge]

Aaron Ho made a video on the razer cases with thermal imaging to show the temperature differences. If I remember correctly, it’s a decent case with normal protection and good grip. The “thermal” insulator doesn’t work very well. It seems to have the perforated back that disperses heat similar to passive cooling rather than active cooling. I think it decreased heat by 1-2*.
Well, then I must be lucky to have 3 Contours with no peel and no sag ?

Thanks for the tip on the clear Symmetry. I will check it out. Grip is of importance for me. Canadian winter weather + dry hands.

Will also check out the Razer review. Cheers.

Last edited:

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Thanks for the tip on the clear Symmetry. I will check it out. Grip is of importance for me. Canadian winter weather + dry hands.

Well it's hot and humid here so that could help, good summer case around water, i havn't looked like dropping it yet, i have black but wouldn't mind trying the clear too.

sheltem

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Popsocket is having a 50% off sale for today only if you spend $60 or more. It includes the Otterbox collaboration cases as well. I'm going to pickup a couple of Otter + Pop Symmetry Series cases. You can use this as filler to get you over the $60 threshold, if you only want one case.

*Edit: There is also a HOLIDAY10 code you can stack. It takes $10 off $40. Basically if you get another 2-3 popsockets (base only) for free. Also use retailmenot.com for another 10% in cashback.

Last edited:

Neko72

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2019
How is it for scratches and does it get greasy/slimy? Slippery? I like the look of the Ash with SG phone.
[automerge]1576359211[/automerge]

Is the clear exactly the same as the black? Feel/grip? Slimeball? Thinking i might try a clear case with protection.

I ordered an OB black symmetry. After 1 week I have to say that the case fits perfectly and it is very comfortable in the hand. The only thing that annoys me is the slippery back.. the rubber sides and buttons are amazing but the back of the case is like a piece of soap when you put it on the table... wow...It seems making the all-in-one case is not so easy...

VaderRulez

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2019
I heard the fit was not good, loose on sides etc? Have you tried the Nylon back version?

They want $80aud here for the carbon, i got my xr one for $20, $60 for the nylon. screw that.

Can't say that I have an issue with the fit. It does have a tendency to have a litle finger print action on the back though which is unfortunate. But I since I put the Apple leather case back on about a week ago I have been hooked lol. Buttons are OK on it but not as good as OB or Apple leather though.
[automerge]1576418594[/automerge]
Only after they received my money did they hit me with the 7-14 days email.
I would have not ordered if I knew this beforehand.

Oh I agree. I got the dBrand grip rather quick but yeah, the skins are going to take awhile. Not a big deal to me though.
[automerge]1576418814[/automerge]
Popsocket is having a 50% off sale for today only if you spend $60 or more. It includes the Otterbox collaboration cases as well. I'm going to pickup a couple of Otter + Pop Symmetry Series cases. You can use this as filler to get you over the $60 threshold, if you only want one case.

That's cool, but never tried a Popsocket. Also don't want to spend more than 60 bucks lol.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Got the ballistic tough jacket in black in. Earlier than expected. Glad I only paid $22. If anyone wants to buy it at cost (US only) I’ll be happy to sell it. I’ll sell at $24 to cover shipping. @Hooterville
image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: VaderRulez

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Got the ballistic tough jacket in black in. Earlier than expected. Glad I only paid $22. If anyone wants to buy it at cost (US only) I’ll be happy to sell it. I’ll sell at $24 to cover shipping. @Hooterville View attachment 882926
View attachment 882927
What are the pros and cons? What don’t you like? I’m still thinking of getting one. ? We should have a buy/sell/trade sub forum at this point. Lol.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: VaderRulez and AE14

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I just scored a vaja grip off eBay for $13. I’ve never had one before because I wasn’t about to pay $90 for a case. Anybody have one and can comment, how do you like it? I won’t actually get it until 23rd.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I just scored a vaja grip off eBay for $13. I’ve never had one before because I wasn’t about to pay $90 for a case. Anybody have one and can comment, how do you like it? I won’t actually get it until 23rd.

$13 get out of here, i had a SE one and i had the wallet version can't remember which phone. Nice cases.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Lol, and I would only use clear cases when I was an android user. But, they scratch and yellow over time, they all did for me. And yes, the otterbox will discolor and scratch. The tpu portions of the case will yellow as well. I think the only case that doesn’t yellow is the speck presidio stay clear which they will warranty if it does.
That one yellows just as quick as the others but they do replace it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.