Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Was going to order the ultra orange rugged but that black has me thinking.................

Best Nomad discount I have is 10% - anyone have anything better?

Reactions: VaderRulez

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
It’s hard to tell. They may be coated, but I can’t say for sure, that’s probably a question for Nomad. So far, after a couple of weeks, there are no marks on the phone’s buttons.

How bad are the fingerprints/Magsafe ring on the back of the black rugged?

Sal09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Stick with the sheath. It’s worth it. Although synthesis is even better.
I want too but im not getting a definitive answer lol. I know they are bombarded with pre - orders but if they can just pick a date and let me know that will suffice.

They even offered me freebies as a gesture which is very nice of them. But I rather have my case and not any freebies.

Washtub7459

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
Purchased 3 cases this year myself. For reference I really look for minimalist cases as much as possible. I don't really drop my phone 'Knock on wood' and maintain apple care, but I like something that offers some scratch protection + grip and light drop protection is a bonus.

Caudabe sheath has been my go to for a number of years, but with going from an Iphone 12 mini to an Iphone 15 the added thickness and weight is just hard to get used to. Then the sheath itself adds even more thickness thanks to the included accommodations for magsafe, plus it adds a considerable amount of weight to an already heavy phone.

Because of this I ended up purchasing a pitaka MagEZ Case 4. Although the build quality is top notch, the design is terrible. Not sure if it's always been an issue with their cases or the redesign to accommodate usb-c, but it is PAINFUL to hold the phone if you balance on your pinki. Only way remotely holding it for any length of time is adjusting your pinki and even then can become uncomfortable. The way they molded where the bottom of the case stops and then the edge juts out was a terrible design choice. You can see what I'm talking about in many of the pictures. Probably wouldn't be as bad if the phone is lighter, but they really should have either smoothed it out, removed the bottom, or had it fully cover.

I finally ended up buying a Benks MagClap ArmorAir and it's perfect. Extremely comfortable to hold and seems to offer slightly more grip then the pitaka. Basically exactly what I was looking for.

I'll probably use this along side my sheath, which I still love for added protection. In my eyes for those wanting a protective phone case Sheath is still the best in the market.. The material is just great especially for pocket storing as it doesn't attract lint and stray hairs like the silicone cases do. It's one of the most unique feeling case materials on the market.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Someone posted a week or two ago about the Apple silicone cases on AliExpress and said to save your money and give them a try.

I’d been wanting the Clay silicone case for my 15 PM, but I really didn’t want to shell out $50+tax on one, so I went and took a look. There are tons of listings, but I decided on one and I specifically wanted to make sure it had the Apple logo on the back.

It arrived today (took less than 10 days) and let me tell you, it’s not a clone. It’s the real deal, right down to the packaging. Looks and feels exactly like the “official” case, has the Apple logo, and the MagSafe animation when you install the case.

I did find the sticker they put on the front of the packaging funny. Obviously, they don’t want to get sued by Apple.

For $6.50, I’m definitely happy.

615096b0829d201b2f2d5789750cc581.jpg

659e5843f90b1e41b0733f700c89ed46.jpg

d93f44dfcd3498ea5c5446a0637340dc.jpg

d4b2db78c8a1ad9fc8b721990a0d0862.jpg

That's wild. I'll give it a shot, but will try out a Pacific Blue FineWoven. Bad reviews at the $60 price but I see one from that seller at $13. Plus I needed a 13 Pro Max case for a family member and the OEM ones get harder to find after they're discontinued, so I grabbed one from the same Ali store.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
Purchased 3 cases this year myself. For reference I really look for minimalist cases as much as possible. I don't really drop my phone 'Knock on wood' and maintain apple care, but I like something that offers some scratch protection + grip and light drop protection is a bonus.

Caudabe sheath has been my go to for a number of years, but with going from an Iphone 12 mini to an Iphone 15 the added thickness and weight is just hard to get used to. Then the sheath itself adds even more thickness thanks to the included accommodations for magsafe, plus it adds a considerable amount of weight to an already heavy phone.

Because of this I ended up purchasing a pitaka MagEZ Case 4. Although the build quality is top notch, the design is terrible. Not sure if it's always been an issue with their cases or the redesign to accommodate usb-c, but it is PAINFUL to hold the phone if you balance on your pinki. Only way remotely holding it for any length of time is adjusting your pinki and even then can become uncomfortable. The way they molded where the bottom of the case stops and then the edge juts out was a terrible design choice. You can see what I'm talking about in many of the pictures. Probably wouldn't be as bad if the phone is lighter, but they really should have either smoothed it out, removed the bottom, or had it fully cover.

I finally ended up buying a Benks MagClap ArmorAir and it's perfect. Extremely comfortable to hold and seems to offer slightly more grip then the pitaka. Basically exactly what I was looking for.

I'll probably use this along side my sheath, which I still love for added protection. In my eyes for those wanting a protective phone case Sheath is still the best in the market.. The material is just great especially for pocket storing as it doesn't attract lint and stray hairs like the silicone cases do. It's one of the most unique feeling case materials on the market.
The design of the bottom edge of the Pitaka MagEZ 4 Case is flawed. I use a PopSocket round, so I don’t have pinky discomfort issues. But I am intrigued by the Benks MagClap ArmorAir Case 🤔

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
Someone posted a week or two ago about the Apple silicone cases on AliExpress and said to save your money and give them a try.

I’d been wanting the Clay silicone case for my 15 PM, but I really didn’t want to shell out $50+tax on one, so I went and took a look. There are tons of listings, but I decided on one and I specifically wanted to make sure it had the Apple logo on the back.

It arrived today (took less than 10 days) and let me tell you, it’s not a clone. It’s the real deal, right down to the packaging. Looks and feels exactly like the “official” case, has the Apple logo, and the MagSafe animation when you install the case.

I did find the sticker they put on the front of the packaging funny. Obviously, they don’t want to get sued by Apple.

For $6.50, I’m definitely happy.

615096b0829d201b2f2d5789750cc581.jpg

659e5843f90b1e41b0733f700c89ed46.jpg

d93f44dfcd3498ea5c5446a0637340dc.jpg

d4b2db78c8a1ad9fc8b721990a0d0862.jpg
@KentuckyHouse Thats brilliant! Got to be hot with that sticker and at that price. I’ve taken a little punt off the back of your post, for £12 it’s worth a shot. More so because my phone should be here very soon and STILL no response a week in from my DECODED order. I’ve also ordered Clay, we’ll see if it looks as good as yours! 🤞

Lighter iPhone

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2023
Keep in mind the Rugged is a very very thick case compared to all the other popular mentions here
It only weighs 2 more grams than the spigen enzo and ~5 grams more than both Caudabes. The weight difference between the Pitaka EZ Pro 4 and Caudabe is larger than the difference from the Nomad Rugged.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
@KentuckyHouse Thats brilliant! Got to be hot with that sticker and at that price. I’ve taken a little punt off the back of your post, for £12 it’s worth a shot. More so because my phone should be here very soon and STILL no response a week in from my DECODED order. I’ve also ordered Clay, we’ll see if it looks as good as yours! 🤞
How long did they say your decoded order would take to deliver?

Danorak81

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2013
UK
How long did they say your decoded order would take to deliver?
Order said it would ship in 2-4 days: neither case was a pre-order, both were in stock. Money has been taken, status is Unfulfilled-I ordered it last Monday. All I’ve had is a generic ‘We will reply soon’ response when I email. They’re based in the Netherlands (I believe), and I’m only in the UK, so not far to ship really.

Reactions: gagee

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Order said it would ship in 2-4 days: neither case was a pre-order, both were in stock. Money has been taken, status is Unfulfilled-I ordered it last Monday. All I’ve had is a generic ‘We will reply soon’ response when I email. They’re based in the Netherlands (I believe), and I’m only in the UK, so not far to ship really.
That doesnt sound like a good experience so far. Maybe they are busy fulfilling orders. I was going to order a decoded case but the navy blue colour is sold out anyways.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Im currently rocking Pacific Blue Finewoven and it is a beauty. Really growing on me lol.

Dark screen, Dark sides and button, Very subtle Blue back, Dark camera ring and then Natural Titanium lens surrounds 🔥
I used my Finewoven driving to/from a concert at Hollywood Bowl last night (so about 3.5 hours in the car, because LA traffic) and both times the phone reported it had paused charging due to warmth. And while it was warm outside yesterday, this was at night, so no sun, and my phone is not in direct light anyway. I haven't seen this happen when I've used my Pitaka, but I also haven't driven two hours with the phone plugged in while driving.

So I am wondering if the case retains more heat, if the driving + bluetooth carplay is to blame, or if it is some combination of the above.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.